Old 08-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
Square
Human being with feelings

Default USB mixer recording question

Hello all:

I haven’t done any multi-track recording since the old Tascam cassette days, but I’m looking to get started again. I will just be doing bedroom level, singer-song writer type of stuff. I have played with Reaper a bit using a keyboard > USB connection. I want to do vocals, guitars, bass etc. I’m currently looking at what hardware will serve my needs best.

I am leaning toward a USB mixer as an interface. I want to feed my powered monitors/headphones for learning songs and simple play along. That is the main reason for looking at the mixer. I will playback from the windows PC and then just play along. That’s easy. Recording on the other hand… I have questions.

I understand many/most USB mixers used to be half duplex or one way transmission. Don’t know if that is still the case. I also get that they are two channel only. The two-channel thing is fine. Well it is fine if I can listen to the recorded tracks and record a new track at the same time. If the USB is half duplex, then I see a problem here.

Any idea if it would be possible to take a feed from my headphone out on the PC and route it to a mixer channel, then my guitar to a second mixer channel. The idea is I could use one channel to monitor playback and the second guitar channel would be sent to Reaper for recording the next (3rd, 4th, 5th) tracks, one or two at a time of course.

To make that more clear; any idea if Reaper and/or a generic PC sound card will allow me to monitor a recorded track at the PC headphone out and to record simultaneously at the mixer USB connection?

Is there a better way to do this?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to discuss this.
Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
kstn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square View Post
I also get that they are two channel only.
There are some usb mixers which can make multitrack recording. But I can't understand why you need exactly usb mixer. Isn't an audiocard with monitor and headphone outs and instrumental suitable?
kstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Square

I'm not sure what you mean when you say audiocard. Can you give me some examples? I'm not opposed to using something else as long as it will feed my powered monitors and/or headphones and allow me to hear the already recorded tracks while I record another track.

I'm open to suggestions for what to use. Please offer your opinions on what you feel would work best.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
martifingers

Hi. I wonder if you mean a USB "mixer". I think that term would imply the hardware device itself has faders, auxiliary sends etc. These will work but all I think you need is a decent audio interface.
See here:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...d-today-570850

These differ in the number of sources you can record onto different tracks at the same time but if I understand your needs all would be fine allowing the layering form of recording you are describing. In any event maybe check here on the forum before buying any particular device - it's quite possible someone has just that model!

Last edited by martifingers; 08-14-2017 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Second thoughts
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
martifingers

Second second thoughts!

I was not quite right - one or two of the interfaces in the linked article are not designed for mic/guitar inputs! Most are, it appears... Sorry for any confusion.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square View Post
Hello all:

I haven’t done any multi-track recording since the old Tascam cassette days, but I’m looking to get started again. I will just be doing bedroom level, singer-song writer type of stuff. I have played with Reaper a bit using a keyboard > USB connection. I want to do vocals, guitars, bass etc. I’m currently looking at what hardware will serve my needs best.

I am leaning toward a USB mixer as an interface. I want to feed my powered monitors/headphones for learning songs and simple play along. That is the main reason for looking at the mixer. I will playback from the windows PC and then just play along. That’s easy. Recording on the other hand… I have questions.

I understand many/most USB mixers used to be half duplex or one way transmission. Don’t know if that is still the case. I also get that they are two channel only. The two-channel thing is fine. Well it is fine if I can listen to the recorded tracks and record a new track at the same time. If the USB is half duplex, then I see a problem here.

Any idea if it would be possible to take a feed from my headphone out on the PC and route it to a mixer channel, then my guitar to a second mixer channel. The idea is I could use one channel to monitor playback and the second guitar channel would be sent to Reaper for recording the next (3rd, 4th, 5th) tracks, one or two at a time of course.

To make that more clear; any idea if Reaper and/or a generic PC sound card will allow me to monitor a recorded track at the PC headphone out and to record simultaneously at the mixer USB connection?

Is there a better way to do this?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to discuss this.
Yes there is!

You have a digital mixer in Reaper. Do you really have a good reason to purchase and use an analog mixing board instead just for studio tracking and practice monitoring?

I'd recommend investing more in the audio interface. Specifically for the analog parts - the mic preamps and analog stages of the converters.

Any audio interface is going to also have a digital mixer built in that is like a DAW app itself. It's SOP to use that for studio overdub monitoring and then just leave the computer DAW set to higher latency. (You also have the option with a fast enough computer to set for low latency and do live performance or live sound through the computer DAW.)

Audio interfaces:
They come in external box form as well as pci cards. The externals connect with USB, firewire, or thunderbolt. Some people seem to only trust the cards. Some people call USB/firewire external audio interfaces "sound cards" just to confuse people. The USB/firewire/TB external units are every bit as reliable and many actually offer higher quality analog stages than found in any pci card interface. Get the box with the inputs and outputs you need.

You were looking at an analog mixing board and a small audio interface in the same box.

I think justifying that leap to old tech with the analog board is a stretch when you have digital mixers available. You can get control surface devices with real faders or use tablets/phones for touch controllers to control everything.

The old analog board is inherently intuitive but the bang for the buck in the digital mixer wins. Everything is modular too. However many interfaces you plug in to the computer are available to the digital mixer (Reaper). Aux sends and routing are infinite. That analog board is finite in everything.

Last edited by serr; 08-14-2017 at 10:27 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
Square

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I will do a little investigation on other available interfaces. Something like the Focusrite 6i6 or the 18i8 looks like it might do the job...

Again thank you all