Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
Human being with feelings

Default How do you get motivated and force inspiration?

There was a time when I did six albums within a couple years. Of course, I was single then. Lonely. Hate to say it but alot if creativity can come from a depressive state. I'm not in that place anymore, life is good. I still have alot to say but having a time just getting in the studio and finishing Thease songs. I find myself writing more, rather than finishing the ones I started. Idk, maybe it's a psychological thing. For me, I enjoy the right brain stuff like writing and composition more than the left brain stuff like mixing....
Anyway, just wondering what u guys do when u need to get motivated and finish stuff. How do you force inspiration?
4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
jerome_oneil

If you have to force it, it isn't inspiration. It's work.

Treat it like work, and you'll be much more productive.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4140 View Post
I enjoy the right brain stuff like writing and composition more than the left brain stuff like mixing....
Unless you're under some kind of external pressure to produce finished material, I'd say stick to what's fun.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
Reason

I render to MP3 and listen to them elsewhere, eg phone and/or car. This lets me note things that annoy me, or I hum along with parts that I hear that aren't recorded yet.

This can be a bit dangerous as the nature of home DAW work means you can tweak for years before it's "done," so I try to keep things relatively minimalistic.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
Tod

I got motivated back in the early 60s, might have even been the late 50s, and I've been motivated ever since.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
karbomusic

Do it even when it feels bad, the results will usually surprise. Some of by best work (if such a thing even exists) occurred during such times. Also, get to the end of the song even if you don't have everything because the only thing worse than an unfinished song is 1/2 of an unfinished song.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
michael diemer

Inspiration is important, but I agree you should keep working even when the muse seems to have deserted you. Like Paul Simon, get up, wash your face, and if someone's taken your place, boot them out and continue working (You need to know his song "Cecelia" to get this).
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #8
cassembler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
If you have to force it, it isn't inspiration. It's work.

Treat it like work, and you'll be much more productive.
Truth. It takes a lot of work; it's not just throwing up faders and basking in magic.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #9
zookthespook

You need the inspiration when
1.You have a deadline and you are anxious or not liking the ideas you are putting in.
2.You hit a creative roadblock
3.You have all the ideas in your head but you don't somehow end up putting it on a record.

Anxiety is like creative constipation.
You will never feel motivated or inspired staring at a blank canvas .

To feel inspired start by listening to a few artists\ songs that you love.
Sit down and get busy putting down few simple lines\ideas mindlessly which are in your
comfort zone, overthinking can kill some of your best thoughts.
Don't judge your ideas at this stage. Just put them down step away for a bit.
Usually at this point I start feeling inspired and start getting a feeling of direction which could mean where I should be heading or NOT ! IF your idea at
this skeletal level gives a good feeling , move on to the next stage.

Many a times, we tend to rush up things to get clear picture quickly
and thus making very complex commitments at an early stage of writing. That makes it difficult to go back and fix things.
So don't commit to parts that you are not 100% happy with and be mentally prepared to change them if need to at a later stage.

Try using "One fresh idea or technique"every time you sit down to write produce or mix. Moving out of comfort once you have a basic grip on the music is the best way to inspired. When you see yourself doing things that you haven't done before, it gives a burst of confidence and excitement !

lastly write to put a smile on your own face, we end up dying, trying too hard.

cheers,
From a fellow musician who lacks creative inspiration on a daily basis.

Last edited by zookthespook; 10-06-2017 at 11:04 PM.
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookthespook View Post
You need the inspiration when
1.You have a deadline and you are anxious or not liking the ideas you are putting in.
2.You hit a creative roadblock
3.You have all the ideas in your head but you don't somehow end up putting it on a record.

Anxiety is like creative constipation.
You will never feel motivated or inspired staring at a blank canvas .

To feel inspired start by listening to a few artists\ songs that you love.
Sit down and get busy putting down few simple lines\ideas mindlessly which are in your
comfort zone, overthinking can kill some of your best thoughts.
Don't judge your ideas at this stage. Just put them down step away for a bit.
Usually at this point I start feeling inspired and start getting a feeling of direction which could mean where I should be heading or NOT ! IF your idea at
this skeletal level gives a good feeling , move on to the next stage.

Many a times, we tend to rush up things to get clear picture quickly
and thus making very complex commitments at an early stage of writing. That makes it difficult to go back and fix things.
So don't commit to parts that you are not 100% happy with and be mentally prepared to change them if need to at a later stage.

Try using "One fresh idea or technique"every time you sit down to write produce or mix. Moving out of comfort once you have a basic grip on the music is the best way to inspired. When you see yourself doing things that you haven't done before, it gives a burst of confidence and excitement !

lastly write to put a smile on your own face, we end up dying, trying too hard.

cheers,
From a fellow musician who lacks creative inspiration on a daily basis.
Sage advice, thank u
Old 10-07-2017, 06:45 AM   #11

Great replies, I appreciate it. I suppose it's better to just do it. Finish it and move on, not being married to one particular idea. I could always change stuff down the road (as long as I keep my files in order) ')
Old 10-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #12
Strangelove

Draw forth your emotions. Everyone has a reason for longing. Inspiration comes from a place altogether removed from time and space, it's neither here nor there, but omnipresent.

I believe the best music comes from a place of surrender. Get over that hill and you'll never have lack for motivation again. Even when I walk into a track with an idea of what i want, I listen to the melodies between melodies and hear what could be best. It's an art of submitting to the medium.

And contrary to what has been said, I do not think anxiety is an enemy. Anxiety is leverage. In psycho-dynamics, anxiety is just pent up energy seeking release. It would be more worrying if you felt nothing at all. It's just anticipation.

Don't be afraid to be afraid. Try to find that timeless space towards perfect motion.

Last edited by Strangelove; 10-07-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
esosotericmetal

They say depression is anger turned inwards. If you don't have anything in your own life that is causing the grief you need to be creative, get yourself fired up about things going on in the world (just try not to be a self-righeous dick about it). I think everyone can agree that there are very serious problems with the world at large, even if everyone disagrees about what those problems actually are and how to fix them.

If you are sufficiently thoughtful, critical and open-minded about whatever subject matter interests you the inspiration will flow freely.
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #14
future fields

I was in that creative depressive state

Now it's just depressive depressive lol

I heard the best thing to do is just not even think about it and start working on your tracks first thing in the morning

As soon as you start making a few edits or whatever, you'll start getting a groove and sooner than later, you'll be flowing

Also, keep your caloric intake up

THe brain needs energy
future fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #15
msundh

I have heard it several times, amateurs wait for inspiration, pro's go to work.
For me, not being professional, I have to same problem.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #16
lexaproductions

As stupid as it may sound, there a lot of power in taking a shower... I got A LOT of great inspiration while taking a shower.
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #17
nightscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
Draw forth your emotions.
Everyone has a reason for longing.
Inspiration comes from a place
Altogether removed from time and space,
It's neither here nor there,
But omnipresent.
Nuff said.

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #18
future fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
I have heard it several times, amateurs wait for inspiration, pro's go to work.
thats a great quote
future fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #19
Strangelove

Logic is a demon. Use it only as a tool, not as a reason for living.

Tools come about when we want to accomplish something, but you should already know what you want. Free the heat!

Last edited by Strangelove; 10-07-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:51 PM   #20
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
There was a time when I did six albums within a couple years. Of course, I was single then. Lonely. Hate to say it but alot if creativity can come from a depressive state.
Many artists write songs from a depressive, love sick'n state. It's common. Probably something cathartic to sharing the pain with others?

Quote:
I find myself writing more, rather than finishing the ones I started. Idk, maybe it's a psychological thing. For me, I enjoy the right brain stuff like writing and composition more than the left brain stuff like mixing.... Anyway, just wondering what u guys do when u need to get motivated and finish stuff.
The nice thing about not being a "pro under contract" is that it can become fun and games or dedication; no rush, write when you want to write, record when you want to record, take a break when you want, etc.

Quote:
How do you force inspiration?
Well... I used to smoke c*nnabis, but now I don't need it anymore. My "inspiration" went from connecting to a mysterious place to connecting to my inner self, for guidance, so to speak. When I was using c*nnabis to "force inspiration" I was sort of saying to myself: "I need something external to possess and influence me". Now that I'm seeking inspiration internally it's require much more dedication, focus, and even "work" i might say. Be it as it may, and this is very personal to my own experiences, I find more satisfaction in the process and the products (i.e. the songs) now that I'm sober and topic/subject oriented (i.e. something I call Conscious Grooves).
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #21
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
...amateurs wait for inspiration, pro's go to work.
Well, I'm a pro but it seems inspiration is working a different shift...
Old 10-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #22
Glennbo

Long ago I figured out for me personally, that forcing myself to play, record, or write music when not inspired always ended up with lifeless sounding music.

For myself, I *never* work on music in any way shape or for unless I am inspired to do it. I no longer do commercial projects or anything for pay in my studio, so it's all for fun at my studio, and if you aren't having fun, save it for another day when juices are flowing.

That said, to get inspired I have my studio setup where everything is ready to record at the drop of a hat. If I'm playing a guitar, I'm playing it through a rack tuner (no excuse to be out of tune), that feeds a mic'd up and isolated speaker cabinet that ends up in Reaper. IOW, I can't play a guitar or bass without having Reaper loaded and ready to hit record, so when jamming around, the second I start playing some groove I like, I record it. I recently switched from using V-Drums and Superior Drummer to real acoustic drums, and I have them setup and mic'd too so I can spend my time playing them, rather than engineering them.

I record something new at least once a month, and frequently once or even more a week. I do however on occasion grab an instrument and try to get in the groove only to find out that I'm really not into it at the moment. When that happens, I stop and go do something else. A few months ago I took the longest break I've ever taken, but when the day came that I got inspired to write and record something new, I ended up pumping out multiple complex projects at the same time. When I hit record, I'm capturing a moment, and I don't want that moment to sound forced, or uninspired.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth on the subject.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #23
cassembler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
For myself, I *never* work on music in any way shape or for unless I am inspired to do it. I no longer do commercial projects or anything for pay in my studio, so it's all for fun at my studio, and if you aren't having fun, save it for another day when juices are flowing.
I'm only suggesting, when you're not inspired, you can still work on sharpening the chops, even if it's a chore. I recall a recent thread where a guy wrote 100 songs in 100 days or some such, solely to get better at songwriting. I can't imagine that was pure joy every day, but I bet he learned a lot about his writing methods

When inspiration does strike, these very chops will help get ideas to tape faster, better, and closer to what's in the head than spending 20 minutes looking up a keyboard shortcut or figuring a scale.

There's still something to be said for "powering through it" though, particularly if music is a career/means of living and not 'just a hobby' (which absolutely is not a bad thing).
Old 10-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #24
Greg Savage

I have a daily writing habit. I don't need inspiration to sit and start making music. It's just what I like to do.
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #25
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassembler View Post
I'm only suggesting, when you're not inspired, you can still work on sharpening the chops, even if it's a chore. I recall a recent thread where a guy wrote 100 songs in 100 days or some such, solely to get better at songwriting. I can't imagine that was pure joy every day, but I bet he learned a lot about his writing methods

When inspiration does strike, these very chops will help get ideas to tape faster, better, and closer to what's in the head than spending 20 minutes looking up a keyboard shortcut or figuring a scale.

There's still something to be said for "powering through it" though, particularly if music is a career/means of living and not 'just a hobby' (which absolutely is not a bad thing).
I never go a single day without playing. I have a room with set of acoustic drums, a set of V-Drums, 5 electric guitars, 1 acoustic guitar, 2 basses, a banjo, a mandolin, plus an upright piano in another room.

I do go for however long it takes until I really have something inspired to say or play for writing and recording. I ran a 1" Ampex tape studio for commercials and local bands in the 70s and 80s, and would frequently go for hours working on stuff I hated because there was a shiny paycheck waiting for me at the end of it all. I retired early at 58 and now my studio is only for doing fun things, and if it isn't fun, then we aren't doing it here!

Hehe, now I'm thinking about sooper catchy music with lyrics like "We know banking, we're here working with you". One of those paycheck songs that I didn't really like working on, but shifted myself into high gear to produce it, get paid and then hear get it being played on the radio in my car. :-)
Old 10-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #26
dea-man

Work long, hard and consistently, on your craft, everyday.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:32 AM   #27
Michael AD

If you're in a rut you can always do this:

Make the worst piece of crap you can.
Bad rhythms, bad melodies, bad harmonies, but make it as REALLY awful as you can.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:26 AM   #28
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
If you're in a rut you can always do this:

Make the worst piece of crap you can.
Bad rhythms, bad melodies, bad harmonies, but make it as REALLY awful as you can.
Hehe, I actually did that one time, and then posted the resulting song, which was titled "Blah". The song had two chords, and each lasted for half the song.

After I posted it, I expected people to ask me WTF was that all about, but I started getting compliments, so I spilled the beans right away and let everybody know that it was an example of the crap I write if I push myself to create when not in a creative frame of mind. :-)
Old 10-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #29
cassembler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I do go for however long it takes until I really have something inspired to say or play for writing and recording.
I misunderstood you then, I was thinking the advice was "Wait for inspiration before even picking up the instrument," but that wasn't your intention. No worries
Old 10-09-2017, 10:46 PM   #30
sillyrobin

Quote:
There was a time when I did six albums within a couple years. Of course, I was single then. Lonely. Hate to say it but alot if creativity can come from a depressive state. I'm not in that place anymore, life is good. I still have alot to say but having a time just getting in the studio and finishing Thease songs. I find myself writing more, rather than finishing the ones I started. Idk, maybe it's a psychological thing. For me, I enjoy the right brain stuff like writing and composition more than the left brain stuff like mixing....
Anyway, just wondering what u guys do when u need to get motivated and finish stuff. How do you force inspiration?
It is work to finish a track. It's not all fun. The more you know about creating a song the more you need to put into it. When you grow as an artist your standards become higher and you know what work is in front of you in-order to complete your songs. Because if your doing it right your always setting the bar higher each song you make. But some tracks just never get wings. That's why you should put your music on https://www.hitrecord.org/ and maybe some 1 can take it to another level.
sillyrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyrobin View Post
It is work to finish a track. It's not all fun. The more you know about creating a song the more you need to put into it. When you grow as an artist your standards become higher and you know what work is in front of you in-order to complete your songs. Because if your doing it right your always setting the bar higher each song you make. But some tracks just never get wings. That's why you should put your music on https://www.hitrecord.org/ and maybe some 1 can take it to another level.
That's the truth. Those six albums weren't the best, in fact, now that I listen to them some of the mixing is unbearable to listen to. But there are some gems I'm there and I suppose that when things are slow with the current stuff, I could always pick the best from earlier stuff and kind of resurrect it. I never thought about it but yes, I do have higher standards now. I'm more picky. Which is a good thing I guess
Old 10-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #32
insub

Quote:
I still have alot to say but having a time just getting in the studio and finishing Thease songs. I find myself writing more, rather than finishing the ones I started. Idk, maybe it's a psychological thing. For me, I enjoy the right brain stuff like writing and composition more than the left brain stuff like mixing....
If you don't care for mixing and that's all that's left then you should probably try to enlist the help of others. I'm on Kompoz and see people there that will mix a track for free all the time. Trying to enlist a single mix engineer for an entire album for free is probably unlikely, even with amateurs. But, if you find an amateur engineer there that you think does a good job there's always the possibility that throwing a few bucks their way could get them to mix the whole album for you.

If its the songwriting part that lacks completion, I'd recommend just start playing it again. Just perform the song repeatedly each day until you get an idea of where you'd like to take the song next.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote