Old 12-07-2016, 12:06 AM   #1
MikComposer
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Editor resizing bug

Hello,

After creating new midi item, opened midi editor is not the size it was set on already edited item, but slightly smaller, even when it is set to only one editor per project. I am assuming it is a bug.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #2
MikComposer

If anyone wander about it, the solution to this is to keep editor in floating docker.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:33 AM   #3
mccrabney

thanks for voicing this, I've been meaning to. this is especially noticeable and annoying if you use full screen midi editors.

floating dockers weren't an option for me because they don't have the "maximize to full window" button and you'd have to stretch each corner to the full screen

Last edited by mccrabney; 12-08-2016 at 05:43 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:54 AM   #4
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
thanks for voicing this, I've been meaning to. this is especially noticeable and annoying if you use full screen midi editors.

floating dockers weren't an option for me because they don't have the "maximize to full window" button and you'd have to stretch each corner to the full screen
Np. This has been pissing me of for 5 years already. But tell me, do you work on dual screen set up or more, or single screen?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:02 AM   #5
mccrabney

single screen now, dual screen caused too many problems if i were to detach the laptop and go work or perform remotely (quantize window opening off screen, fx windows opening in inconvenient places because they usually opened Fullscreen on another screen, etc)

i went from three screens to one and my workflow improved a lot, though i do want to eventually repurpose a small ~12 inch screen as a 2nd monitor dedicated to the midi editor. this midi editor resize issue is preventing me from doing so
Old 12-08-2016, 06:48 AM   #6
MikComposer

Quote:
single screen now, dual screen caused too many problems if i were to detach the laptop and go work or perform remotely (quantize window opening off screen, fx windows opening in inconvenient places because they usually opened Fullscreen on another screen, etc)

i went from three screens to one and my workflow improved a lot, though i do want to eventually repurpose a small ~12 inch screen as a 2nd monitor dedicated to the midi editor. this midi editor resize issue is preventing me from doing so
Yeah, not very well made. I work on single screen laptop. Soent monies for dual screen setup, and it was crap.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #7
mccrabney

it's great if you're working on a desktop but you definitely run into problems if you go mobile with your laptop. since i'm doing more performing these days i opted to just strip down and play with the exact same hardware as what i'd have onstage

one way i see around it is some sort of screen management extension that allows you to apply rules to different windows (fx, arrange, media, etc, floating dockers, etc), so that window always opens on screen B at position X/Y, or maximized.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #8
MikComposer

Quote:
it's great if you're working on a desktop but you definitely run into problems if you go mobile with your laptop. since i'm doing more performing these days i opted to just strip down and play with the exact same hardware as what i'd have onstage

one way i see around it is some sort of screen management extension that allows you to apply rules to different windows (fx, arrange, media, etc, floating dockers, etc), so that window always opens on screen B at position X/Y, or maximized.
Yeah. It only keeps position and size when in docker I think.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #9
mccrabney

Quote:
before someone jumps in recommending screensets, these are great, but if you are working a lot in a mixed-screen environment, it gets very tiresome to constantly be managing / recalling different screensets in different projects. my suggestion above would operate depending on how many screens REAPER detects.