Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 02-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default Flight Of The Amazonian Killer Mozzie - REAPER video edit

As mentioned in the last music video thread I posted HERE, here's the second track my good friend Lyndon Kriss and I worked on while he was visiting me from interstate recently.

Lyndon recorded and mixed the audio for this one in his studio and we filmed the video for it in my studio and edited it in REAPER.
Lyndon does some pretty serious guitar shredding in this clip and we had heaps of fun filming it.
The speakers featured in the middle of the video came out of a Village Roadshow cinema and Lyndon became their new owner. They are Electrovoice 15 inch drivers and compression HF horns.
He gave these two to me to use in my studio and I have now incorporated one of them (minus the horn) into my rig as the main subwoofer. I'll be doing a ported to sealed conversion on them and reconing two of the drivers in the other box before adding it to my rig.

Anyway, back to the video.
Here's Lyndon's description on his YouTube channel:
Quote:
This is my take on the Rimsky Korsakov classic - Flight of The Bumble Bee. It's a bit rough around the edges but this is how it came out on the day
....and here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bl5VqgP3iY
Old 02-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
msundh

So he actually say that I cannot play guitar
This was NOT good for my ego.
Maybe take up the flute?
Old 02-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Maybe take up the flute?
Funny you should say that. I said something along similar lines to that to Lyndon while we were working on this!!

I'm not a complete hack on guitar but next to this, I look like a raw beginner!!!
Old 02-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Lyndon recorded and mixed the audio for this one in his studio and we filmed the video for it in my studio and edited it in REAPER.
Hi Dave, I'm confused here, you say "Lyndon recored and mixed the audio for this one in his studio", and then say, "we filmed the video for it in my studio". Do you mean Lyndon did the background music in his studio and then you recorded him in your studio playing along with the BG-Tracks, or did he pantomime the whole thing.

Either way, it's some killer guitar and the BG-music is also well done.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:49 AM   #5
Bass6

HA ha. That put a smile on my face. Wicked playing Lyndon, and really nice vid edits. Those EVs look awesome - jealous....
Top job everyone - got any more?
Old 02-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Dave, I'm confused here, you say "Lyndon recored and mixed the audio for this one in his studio", and then say, "we filmed the video for it in my studio". Do you mean Lyndon did the background music in his studio and then you recorded him in your studio playing along with the BG-Tracks, or did he pantomime the whole thing.

Either way, it's some killer guitar and the BG-music is also well done.
He's certainly no slouch in the guitar department that's for sure!

Lyndon recorded and mixed the whole thing before he came here. The backing track was something he recorded a while ago but he re-recorded the guitar part and mixed it all to a stereo file which I imported into REAPER, did some basic tweaks to and then used for the video clip.
Lyndon also brought his Mac with him with the ProTools session on it. We ended up adding a whammy bar dive bomb near the end which I recorded in REAPER, then Lyndon added to the ProTools session and did another stereo bounce.

The video was filmed over multiple takes with a single camera in order to get the different angles, locations and narrow/wide shots. Lyndon basically played along with what he'd already recorded but none of the playing during the video shoots was actually recorded. We didn't need it.

While Lyndon was here, he purchased a new REAPER license and we set it up on his Mac. He has been using REAPER on PC in his studio and really likes it.
He's been running the PC version with my theme and some of my tweaks and was waiting until we caught up again so I could copy that setup to his Mac.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass6 View Post
HA ha. That put a smile on my face. Wicked playing Lyndon, and really nice vid edits. Those EVs look awesome - jealous....
Top job everyone - got any more?
Great to hear you enjoyed it.

This one and the harp guitar video are the only two we filmed during Lyndon's visit but no doubt we'll do more next visit.
As mentioned in the harp guitar thread, we did record an extended jam session where I mic'd up the harp guitar and I'll be using some of that on my new album. There's no video of that but I might post a sneak preview of some of the recording soon.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #8
Dannii

Bump for those who might have missed this one.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:11 AM   #9
ivansc

That isnt by any chance a Morch he is playing, is it?
Old 03-19-2017, 03:21 AM   #10
barrymk

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Maybe take up the flute?
Nah Stick with it Mik, there's always someone better technically or artistically than us, it's a fact of life and not worth worrying about, hell, good as he is there are people around who'd blow this guy off the stage. Do what you do well and keep on enjoying it.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:48 AM   #11
Jorgen

Oh man. Impressive.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 PM   #12
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
That isnt by any chance a Morch he is playing, is it?
That's a good question. I'll have to ask him next time we're on the phone and I'll let you know.