Old 06-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
IXix
Human being with feelings

Default WASAPI glitches

Playing next to nothing with no fx I get occasional dropouts when using the WASAPI driver. Playback is solid otherwise. I've noticed this every now and then since the driver appeared but I've never been sure whether it was just some momentary glitch on my system. Never happens with direct sound or asio so I suspect it's a quirk of the new driver.

Sorry I can't provide a more useful report. I'd be happy to perform any tests that can be devised to zero in on the problem.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
JonP

Hi,

I have precisely the same problem. I get the best sound quality with WASAPI, however I will also get these glitches - sometimes I can go for 6 or more minutes without anything, then dropouts, or sometimes just very minro glitches over a period of some minutes.

I have been at it all day today trying to resolve this problem with no success. I know my machine is powerful enough - Win 7 64 bit, Core i7 870, 8 gig of RAM.

Unfortunately for me, it looks like I can't use ASIO for my intended purpose either, since I use both a Xonar ST and Meridian G2 in the one machine - so the Operating System cannot differentiate between the two ASIO drivers for each card (I only get the ASIO option for the card whose drivers I installed last).

Anyway, I would very much like to use WASAPI, however these glitches are a show stopper. Incidentally, I have no troubles at all with WASAPI in any other applications that use it.

The other strange thing is that REAPER refuses to allow me to use Exclusive mode unless I set it to 16 bit (do I have been used shared mode). This does not make any sense whatsoever to me - I don't see what the bitdepth has to do with it.

I haven't tested 16 bit mode (amd won't use it) to see if this helps the dropouts, simply because the loss of sound quality is too high compared to 24 bit for this to be acceptable.
JonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
steadyrev

@Jon
Won't the Steinberg multi-client asio driver help you?
You can Google it
steadyrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonP View Post
Unfortunately for me, it looks like I can't use ASIO for my intended purpose either, since I use both a Xonar ST and Meridian G2 in the one machine - so the Operating System cannot differentiate between the two ASIO drivers for each card (I only get the ASIO option for the card whose drivers I installed last).
Try ASIO4ALL, it may be able drive both your devices simultaneously
Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Xenakios

Having occasional random WASAPI problems here too...After the BSOD fiasco when using the freeze function recently when in ASIO mode, I'd prefer to use something else than ASIO, but the glitches I am getting in WASAPI mode make that non-attractive too...The weird thing with WASAPI is that making the buffer size larger doesn't help but rather makes the glitches more probable to happen. As said by the original poster, the glitches don't happen under only under large load, just one or a few more tracks even without fx can make it happen.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
syndgr834

Default WASAPI, not working, but ASIO is...!

I just got my FastTrack Ultra 8R. So I should be pardoned if I'm posting anything stupid as I'm a beginner:-p
First I ran Reaper with the WASAPI driver, worked well, recorded stuffs, but after a day of work, reaper showed a message [audio device closed]. Then I selected ASIO and it works fine. Can Anyone describe to me that what is the problem, as WASAPI still doesn't work.
syndgr834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
RunBeerRun

I have a Fast Track Pro, I don't use it with Wasapi. I do use Wasapi with my onboard soundcard.

You need to specify Wasapi's inputs and outputs in Reaper's preferences. I recommend your fast track's ASIO output though, it will be lower latency.