Old 03-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
Infrabass
Human being with feelings

Default MMC support for video slave

Hi again!

Second post in the same day, i promise to stop spam the forum after this one.

I just discovered that Reaper doesn't seem to send MMC (Midi Machine Control) like the other DAW.
So for syncing Reaper and a video slave it's currently partially working with MTC (see my other post concerning my issue with MTC http://tinyurl.com/h26tdrf) but the video timeline is not updated if we just click anywhere in the Reaper timeline, not either if we nudge by frame for exemple.
It's routines that i use everyday to sync SFX with cue point in the video, etc...

Is there a plan in the future to add this feature?

Thanks again and have a great day!
Infrabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrabass View Post
Hi again!

Second post in the same day, i promise to stop spam the forum after this one.

I just discovered that Reaper doesn't seem to send MMC (Midi Machine Control) like the other DAW.
So for syncing Reaper and a video slave it's currently partially working with MTC (see my other post concerning my issue with MTC http://tinyurl.com/h26tdrf) but the video timeline is not updated if we just click anywhere in the Reaper timeline, not either if we nudge by frame for exemple.
It's routines that i use everyday to sync SFX with cue point in the video, etc...

Is there a plan in the future to add this feature?

Thanks again and have a great day!
That sucks. Until the developers take a look at this, what about using video in the session itself. What problems would you expect from that ? Would the sync be inadequate or are you worried about the video format ?

The only other (old) thread on MMC I found is here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=63210
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
Infrabass

Thanks for your response Airon!

It's because i use reaper and cubase in sync and have a third monitor on my PC slave dedicated to VEP and the video.
It relieves a little bit of work for my already over used CPU! :-)
Old 11-11-2017, 05:34 AM   #4
_Stevie_

I just hooked up Reaper with Nuendo, whereas Reaper is the master and Nuendo is my video slave.
And I'm now also confronted with the fact, that clicking in the timeline or nudging does not send the TC over to the video machine. Only pressing play will do that. This is very cumbersome, because we are not able to "scrub" through the video file. Is there a workaround for that situation?
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I just hooked up Reaper with Nuendo, whereas Reaper is the master and Nuendo is my video slave.
And I'm now also confronted with the fact, that clicking in the timeline or nudging does not send the TC over to the video machine. Only pressing play will do that. This is very cumbersome, because we are not able to "scrub" through the video file. Is there a workaround for that situation?

I would love to see this implemented. Any news on development of this?
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
Infrabass

Sadly, it seems that nothing have changed…
I now work exclusively in Reaper.
Cheers
Old 01-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Sadly, it seems that nothing have changed…
I now work exclusively in Reaper.
Cheers
I have been having crazy issues with video playback in reaper. And unfortuantely the developers say that they can't reproduce the issues that I face and hence they cannot solve it. I am looking at alternative solutions. There aren't any it seems. 😂😂😂

Are you on a Mac or PC? Do you have any issues with reaper video?
Old 01-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
_Stevie_

mrlimbic is on something here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....08#post1935908

I have high hopes
Old 01-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
Infrabass

Mac user and I barely never have any issue with video in Reaper. You can try to convert your videos before using them in Reaper or reinstall the video codec.
I guess you already tried…
Good luck!
Old 01-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #10
Infrabass

Quote:
mrlimbic is on something here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....08#post1935908

I have high hopes
Amazing news!!
Old 01-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #11
_Stevie_

@Infrabass
Yeah, video inside Reaper works works perfectly. But I need to use an external video machine for my work.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #12
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Mac user and I barely never have any issue with video in Reaper. You can try to convert your videos before using them in Reaper or reinstall the video codec.
I guess you already tried…
Good luck!
I tried all of them. No joy. Can you pls share your settings like codec installed? Pls
Old 01-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #13
mrlimbic

I've written a JSFX called "MMC locate" in my mrlimbic reapack repository that sends MMC locate when reaper is not playing. So cursor moves select right frame.

https://github.com/mrlimbic/reascripts

Pause in reaper confuses it due to a limitation of the jsfx api. So it is best to override the pause key (enter) to instead move cursor to then play head then stop instead.

Tested with Video Slave, Mitti & Jadeo.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #14
RobinGShore

Looks like mrlimbic's gone ahead and made a newer version, but it's worth noting that this ancient JSFX plugin from 2009 will also do the trick:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=43606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blechi View Post
Did you ever want REAPER to send MTC when stopped or paused?
Now this is possible.
The 'virtual Vertical Interleave MIDI Timecode Generator' (vVIMTC Generator) sends Fullframe MTC (SysEx) or Quarterframe MTC when REAPER is in stop or pause mode.
This allows positioning of the edit cursor and a video application follows without the need to start playback or recording.
The vVIMTC can also send Quarterframe MTC in playback or recording mode.

Put it on an empty track, record arm the track, set it to 'Monitoring, Not Recording' and choose a MIDI output in the track's I/O screen.

Don't forget to set the proper framerate in the plugin AND the project settings (and if neccessary in the slave application).

This is my first JS, so please put it through it's paces and tell me if you find some bugs. (Thanks to mbncp for the help and some code)
I tested it with MIDIox, a spawned instance of REAPER and an old MIDIman synchronizer - no problems so far.
Sony Vegas doesn't seem to like Quarterframe MTC when stopped or paused and doesn't understand Fullframe MTC at all.
Perhaps we can put together a list of working applications and equipment in this thread.
If you're interested in using it I would read through the whole thread, as there's a few tricks/settings you need to be aware of to get it to work right. It's been a really long time since I used it, but I remember it working pretty well once properly set up.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #15
_Stevie_

I tried that plugin, it's very buggy and never worked for me in the way that it's usable. No offense to the coder, though! It just didn't work for me.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #16
mrlimbic

Quote:
I tried that plugin, it's very buggy and never worked for me in the way that it's usable. No offense to the coder, though! It just didn't work for me.
That one uses a different method from my plugin (MTC vs MMC). So which works best may also be due to what type of messages the target video app interprets most successfully.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #17
Montego

Can you guys help me with how you got the slave working in the first place? I just can't find it. I want to use my main reaper machine for live audio and use it to tell a second reaper machine on my network to play (it has video). How do you just get the first machine to tell the second to play?
Montego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:57 AM   #18
kris.audioplanet

How do you set that up to work? I managed to get Reaper 6 to work with VideoSlave 4 using just MTC generator but the video lags a bit behind and doesn't chase when moving items and midi notes around. What is great is that the generator works from the main project which means I can see the video while working in a subproject. That is a wonderful improvement! I'm doing that on the same computer first and planning on moving the video playback to a MacBook pro later on.

Last edited by kris.audioplanet; 12-05-2019 at 06:41 AM.
kris.audioplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #19
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris.audioplanet View Post
How do you set that up to work? I managed to get Reaper 6 to work with VideoSlave 4 using just MTC generator but the video lags a bit behind and doesn't chase when moving items and midi notes around. What is great is that the generator works from the main project which means I can see the video while working in a subproject. That is a wonderful improvement! I'm doing that on the same computer first and planning on moving the video playback to a MacBook pro later on.
To use my MMC locate JS plugin you put it on the MTC generator track so that the midi routes to the same place as the MTC generator.

Check the mode. Some apps prefer one over the other. Jadeo here works better with MTC fullframe mode. To get Jadeo working need to set external sync, port midi.

One thing to bear in mind is that reaper's pause mode confuses the plugin (due to an JS api limitation the plugin doesn't know reaper isn't playing in pause mode). You are best mapping the pause key instead to a custom action that seeks edit cursor, then stops.

Last edited by mrlimbic; 12-05-2019 at 12:02 PM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote