Old 11-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
Justin
Administrator

Default 5.62rc1

Let's take a step back from the features of 5.65preX and put various fixes into 5.62 -- please give the items below a thorough test and I will be very grateful!

v5.62rc1 - November 6 2017
  • + Arrange: show tooltip when editing markers/regions
  • + Arrange: show tooltip when editing time/loop selection
  • + Config import: improve import behavior on macOS
  • + FX browser: support adding to master track when opened via action [t=192812]
  • + Localization: fix validation of certain strings ending in %%
  • + Localization: improve note/key localization in MIDI/score editor [p=1897006]
  • + Localization: localize articulations/ornaments
  • + Localization: localize jsfx UI
  • + Localization: localize note names in render dialog, scale finder
  • + Localization: various fixes [p=1898728] [p=1899438]
  • + Media items: group items correctly after moving within time selection [p=1900966]
  • + Notation editor: do not apply display quantization to tuplets [t=199010]
  • + Notation editor: improve stem drawing
  • + Notation editor: suppport themeable colors
  • + Preferences: remove UI lazy updates option, always updatewindow on Windows
  • + ReaSurround: fix automation behaviors for LFE and speaker output levels [t=197727]
  • + Routing window: fix accessibility support
  • + Solo: another 5.6x behavior fix [p=1903931]
  • + Startup: remember size of project selection window
  • + Undo: improve history context menu with ability to look at differences
  • + VST3: make Console 1 obey solo-in-place preference [t=197633]
  • + Video: fix potential memory errors with certain video processors
  • + Windows: prevent windows from being initialized with offscreen titlebars
  • + macOS: check for GL shader support when opening video window rather than from video thread
  • + macOS: disable word-wrap in various text windows
  • # Automation items: duplicate automation items on send envelopes when duplicating tracks [t=197766]
  • # Faderport: passthrough footswitch commands to action bindings as a note-on
  • # Media explorer: fix context menu item [t=197784]
  • # Notation editor: draw timeline area in a separate color even when mouse is not over the timeline
  • # Notation editor: fix gridline color when displaying light-colored notes on dark-colored background
  • # Undo history: show more informative info in diff menus
Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
RobU
Human being with feelings

Will test drive it later this evening

+ Routing window: fix accessibility support

Can you explain what this is? I know there have been a few requests for a zoomable routing matrix (or just a bigger font) - will this help, and if so, how ?

Thanks
R
Old 11-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobU View Post
Will test drive it later this evening

+ Routing window: fix accessibility support

Can you explain what this is? I know there have been a few requests for a zoomable routing matrix (or just a bigger font) - will this help, and if so, how ?

Thanks
R
This is a fix for people who use screen readers such as NVDA.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
RobU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
This is a fix for people who use screen readers such as NVDA.
Aha, understood - thanks for the explanation !
Old 11-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
pcartwright

Quote:
+ Notation editor: improve stem drawing
+ Notation editor: suppport themeable colors
# Notation editor: draw timeline area in a separate color even when mouse is not over the timeline
# Notation editor: fix gridline color when displaying light-colored notes on dark-colored background
These all look fine.

Not sure about this:

Quote:
+ Notation editor: do not apply display quantization to tuplets [t=199010]
Not sure if what I'm seeing is supposed to be changed based on the forum link. The top slider has no impact on the display quantization. The bottom slider gives the results below.

Last edited by pcartwright; 11-06-2017 at 11:59 AM.
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
EpicSounds

Any details on these?

+ Video: fix potential memory errors with certain video processors
+ macOS: check for GL shader support when opening video window rather than from video thread

Thanks
Old 11-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
juliansader

Quote:
[*]+ Arrange: show tooltip when editing markers/regions[*]+ Arrange: show tooltip when editing time/loop selection
Very useful! Except... the tooltips disappear after a second when the mouse stops moving. Is this a bug, or is it due to a setting somewhere?

(Perhaps we can also get it in the MIDI editor?)

Quote:
[*]+ Notation editor: improve stem drawing
Notes are looking very professional now. Only niggle is that at some zoom levels the noteheads don't fit precisely in the staff spaces:

Quote:
[*]+ Notation editor: suppport themeable colors
The grid lines also look much better now (at least with the color combinations that I have tried).

A potential problem is that the timeline uses the same color as the time selection, so timeline bars between tracks are not visible within the time selection.

Quote:
[*]# Notation editor: draw timeline area in a separate color even when mouse is not over the timeline
I don't think this is a functional or aesthetic improvement, and I prefer the previous behavior in which the timeline bars would light up when the mouse touches them. Could this feature perhaps be made optional?

Quote:
[*]+ Media items: group items correctly after moving within time selection [p=1900966]
[*]# Automation items: duplicate automation items on send envelopes when duplicating tracks [t=197766]
These seem to work fine now. (However, there are still several other duplicate/move bugs remaining.)

Last edited by juliansader; 11-06-2017 at 02:43 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
xpander

In pre9b the right-click FX menu still had the currently used FX on top of the list, above all the categories. That was really handy, but now it's back in the bottom of the menu. Was that left out to come back later too?

Last edited by xpander; 11-06-2017 at 01:41 PM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #9
inarisound

Thank you very much for looking at this issue:

+ macOS: disable word-wrap in various text windows

On top of that you implemented the "keep previous size of the window used"
big big love for that! <3

unfortunately if the name of the project is too long it will still cut it...

but compare to previous behavior it's such an improvement that it dose not bother me anymore <3

inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Any details on these?

+ macOS: check for GL shader support when opening video window rather than from video thread

Thanks
Both just bugfixes that if you didn't know they existed, won't mean much to you.

The first one is a big part of the reason we're doing 5.62 now, you can crash (usually) if you put a very simple bit of video processor code on a video file:
Code:
input_info(0,w,h); h/=4;
gfx_img_resize(-1,w,h);
gfx_blit(0,0,0,0,w,h,0,0,w,h);
(that will crash 5.61 but not 5.62!)

Last edited by Justin; 11-07-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #11
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
In pre9b the right-click FX menu still had the currently used FX on top of the list, above all the categories. That was really handy, but now it's back in the bottom of the menu. Was that left out to come back later too?
Yes, that change, and many others, will be back in the next 5.65 prerelease build. 5.62 is mostly a bugfix release.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #12
maifeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
+ Arrange: show tooltip when editing markers/regions
+ Arrange: show tooltip when editing time/loop selection

Very useful! Except... the tooltips disappear after a second when the mouse stops moving. Is this a bug, or is it due to a setting somewhere?

(Perhaps we can also get it in the MIDI editor?)
This is indeed quite annoying, in these cases it would be much better if the tooltips disappeared only after the mouse button is released.
maifeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #13
MRMJP

Has anybody else noticed that with the last few pre-release builds of 5.62 that REAPER seems slower to fully quit?

I'm on MacOS 10.12.6 and it seems that when I use CMD+Q to quit REAPER, the little dot under the REAPER icon in the OS X dock stays lit up for longer than I remember before going away.

Earlier today I even had to Force Quit REAPER and I got a crash but for some reason a diagnostic report wasn't created so I can't attach it here. I did "report" it though I think that goes to Apple and not Cockos.

Maybe it's a plugin that is not unloading as smoothly as it should. I'll try to test again with no plugins loaded.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #14
musicbynumbers

Not had that yet but on new PC and only just started installing it all again. Will let you know if it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Has anybody else noticed that with the last few pre-release builds of 5.62 that REAPER seems slower to fully quit?

I'm on MacOS 10.12.6 and it seems that when I use CMD+Q to quit REAPER, the little dot under the REAPER icon in the OS X dock stays lit up for longer than I remember before going away.

Earlier today I even had to Force Quit REAPER and I got a crash but for some reason a diagnostic report wasn't created so I can't attach it here. I did "report" it though I think that goes to Apple and not Cockos.

Maybe it's a plugin that is not unloading as smoothly as it should. I'll try to test again with no plugins loaded.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #15
Commala

Let me start by saying thanks for the themeing features added to the notation view. I am feeling much much more comfortable using it now and I can't describe how great that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
The grid lines also look much better now (at least with the color combinations that I have tried).

A potential problem is that the timeline uses the same color as the time selection, so timeline bars between tracks are not visible within the time selection.
The gridlines are actually dependent on the colour you've set for the notation text and staves. But I agree that there is an opportunity here for improvement, I'd like to be able to have independent control of the gridline colour.

Also, it looks like the measure numbers share the same relationship to the stave colour as the gridlines. The gridlines and the measure numbers appear to be the same colour. Again, I'd really prefer independent control over these elements; I think the measure numbers should pop more than the gridlines personally.

I hope I'm not being overly nitpicky, I do feel it's the best time to make these suggestions though.

I agree with Julian regarding the timeline bar always being coloured. Haha even though I sort of suggested that, it doesn't look so great, and functionally isn't really necessary. Maybe the zone can just be sliiightly wider and everyone is happy?
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #16
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post

I loaded an empty new session with no plugins and REAPER quit quickly so this is probably related to a 3rd party plugin.

It would probably take quite a bit of time to figure out which one but if it helps any, it seems like a new behavior in REAPER while I don't recall updating any plugins recently.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #17
ovnis

Quote:
That not solves this issue :

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=191269
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote