Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-14-2018, 01:59 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Editing more than one track at once with all envelopes between items intact

I was recutting some 5.1 stems recently, and spent considerable time making sure I cut across all tracks.

These tracks were strewn about reasonably far apart, so it was quite a bit of work. While I realize that item groups are useful in this regard, they don't cover use cases when you're trying to edit across tracks with little items in between. Item groups cover only part of the necessities. I wanted to create crossfades across these tracks, but fade commands only work on selected items.

Automation that is not visible and between items, it is not covered either, unless I missed something vital. Any long envelope changes will be lost, and sudden changes at item edges work out less well in many cases.

I place empty items on top of my effect send tracks so I can copy/paste settings around, but this approach is not practical for for recutting sessions or a just a set of tracks. You'd have to fill up all empty space with empty items on tracks to make sure the automation survives completely intact.

Need:
Methods to edit across 1+ track(s) that includes not-visible and visible envelopes

Editing across 1+ tracks is a bit akin to track groups. I'd like to be able to bypass that functionality at the drop of a hat as well.

Use cases and details:
Recutting sections of a session on a sub-set of tracks. Moving around regions already does this for all tracks.

Envelopes stay intact for the sections copy/pasted/moved even if they're not visible. This is especially important for parameters we change a lot. Automation items are great, but who wants to have them visible at all times, and for dozens of envelopes?

I want to edit on just one track and can be confident that all other tracks are edited the same way, including all hidden envelopes.

In Reaper way, this would mean that if you simply click on one track of this track set, all items at that location on the track set members get selected, so you can create fades however you wish.

When I make a time+item selection (ALT+right-drag by default) across one track of this track set, and I cut, Reaper sends the envelopes and item contents of these tracks across that time selection in to the copy/paste buffer, and if the preferences say to create edge points, Reaper creates edge points for all envelopes at the edges of the time selection.

Last edited by airon; 06-14-2018 at 05:00 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote