Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-17-2018, 02:39 AM   #41
ivansc
Human being with feelings

There is always MY solution - buy a used RME box. Far less risk than buying a new (insert cheap crap interface brand name here)

My bought-used pci HDSP 9652 card has to be 10 years old & still works just fine.

It really does seem to come down to either paying the money out, new or used, and getting reliable performance & consistent support, or joining the jolly crapshoot that is the bottom-feeder segment of the market.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:21 AM   #42
endorka

Ivan, that is really interesting. I've been contemplating one of the PCI cards, one with two sets of ADAT I/O for 16 ins and 16 outs. I assume because it is all digital you won't get any of the noise related issues from being inside the computer case that you get with cards that have an analog component? How have you got on with it?

Something giving me pause for thought though, is the ability to find a PC with a PCI slot in the future. I expect a motherboard with one will always be available, but it will limit the choice somewhat. On the other hand, I suppose this might also drive done the used price of these cards?

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 07-17-2018, 05:22 AM   #43
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
There is always MY solution - buy a used RME box. Far less risk than buying a new (insert cheap crap interface brand name here)

My bought-used pci HDSP 9652 card has to be 10 years old & still works just fine.

It really does seem to come down to either paying the money out, new or used, and getting reliable performance & consistent support, or joining the jolly crapshoot that is the bottom-feeder segment of the market.
What are you using for mic preamps, di, headphone amp?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #44
azslow3

Since I have Babyface Pro, I see the picture as the following:
* do your primary music instrument cost under $100?
* do your computer cost under $200?
I play guitar for $50 and have e-guitar for $200. MIDI keys for under $200 are also fine for me.
But I can not play piano for under $1000 (used): no sound, no feeling, no fun. Will I blame such piano producer for that? No.

As I have written, we use several 2i2 and there are perfect for what we need from them. I personally have 2x M-Audio, Roland/Edirol and Phonic (apart from "USB audio" in e-drums, voc processor and mixer). In my notebook I have Realtek, recent chips have low latency ASIO. And they all are good for what they are.

But common, if someone needs low latency, stable, flexible and good sounding interface, simply buy one. No surprise, it will cost much more then $100-$200 (new), but you get what you pay for...
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #45
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
What are you using for mic preamps, di, headphone amp?
At various times Behringer ADA8000 x 2 then Focusrite Octopre LE with digi interface cards x2

I also use a couple of good discrete mic pres. DI I use the focusrites & headphone amp I use either my MPatch 2 or when I have visitors I use a cheesy old Behringer 8 input rack phones mixer.
Not High End but it all works pretty well for me, especially since I do have a couple of decent mics

Last edited by ivansc; 07-17-2018 at 11:24 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:28 PM   #46
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorka View Post
Ivan, that is really interesting. I've been contemplating one of the PCI cards, one with two sets of ADAT I/O for 16 ins and 16 outs. I assume because it is all digital you won't get any of the noise related issues from being inside the computer case that you get with cards that have an analog component? How have you got on with it?

Something giving me pause for thought though, is the ability to find a PC with a PCI slot in the future. I expect a motherboard with one will always be available, but it will limit the choice somewhat. On the other hand, I suppose this might also drive done the used price of these cards?

Cheers,
Jennifer
This was pretty much my exact rationale when I made the decisions I did.
Saved a ton of money by buying my RME card used & in fact both my initial Behringer ADA8000s were used! A long time ago but I think I would up spending about £350 for the lot. FWIW I am still on a i7 4770 with 16 gb raqm had spinning platter HDs, yet my performance even on decent sized projects is still good enough that I never have to consider freezing etc to keep performance acceptable. Imagine what it would be like with a current cpu. And there are still some prettry decent motherboards out there with pci.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:32 AM   #47
endorka

That's really good to know. I already have a Behringer ADA8200 so halfway there already. I reckon this could be a serious plan before the next big project. The 8 outputs on the ADA8220 will be real boon, but I'll need another 8 mic ADAT preamp as well for running ribbon mics. One of the focusrite ones should do the trick, the preamps on the 18i8 do the job just fine.

"If I could turn back time" I'd have done this in the first place, but there it is. The 18i8 is actually a very capable interface, apart from one niggle: if I have Mixcontrol open when recording with the ADAT preamp, the 18i8 occasionally hangs up and won't play or record. It's easy to resurrect, I just nip over the to equipment rack, power cycle the 18i8, then get Reaper to close & reopen the driver.

It takes but a moment, but not something you want to happen during a take. Keeping Mixcontrol closed solves the problem 100%. But then I can't make changes to monitor mixes during a take. It's not the end of the world, but sometimes inconvenient. And it's the reason I keep on applying these driver betas, in the hope they'll fix it :-)

Cheers,
Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
This was pretty much my exact rationale when I made the decisions I did.
Saved a ton of money by buying my RME card used & in fact both my initial Behringer ADA8000s were used! A long time ago but I think I would up spending about £350 for the lot. FWIW I am still on a i7 4770 with 16 gb raqm had spinning platter HDs, yet my performance even on decent sized projects is still good enough that I never have to consider freezing etc to keep performance acceptable. Imagine what it would be like with a current cpu. And there are still some prettry decent motherboards out there with pci.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:46 AM   #48
Xenakios

For anyone interested, the beta drivers have been updated again. I can't risk installing them myself at the moment because I have composition work to do.

http://beta.focusrite.com/
Old 09-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #49
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
For anyone interested, the beta drivers have been updated again. I can't risk installing them myself at the moment because I have composition work to do.

http://beta.focusrite.com/
Awesome. Thanks for posting this. The last version was causing BSOD'S so that was a quick uninstall.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #50
Jimmy James

I have a 18i20 and decided to give this a try. It installed via automatic update the other day and wrecked everything! Finally I plugged it into USB2 instead of USB3 and all my problems vanished, even though my mobo is USB3 backwards.

I still rolled everything back just to be safe. So I have no installed myself and left it plugged into USB2.

My ASIO setting has totally changed, can anyone tell me what this is? It use to be in MS, now it is in 16, 32, 64, ect.

Doing vocals or something I would set it to 6ms. What in the world do I set it to now? And what do I set it to for mixing? It defaulted to 256?
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #51
Jimmy James

Ok, I have the driver installed. But how in the world do I install the Firmware? It says it is separate but has no link to it. I dont wanna install the wrong thing and brick it.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #52
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Ok, I have the driver installed. But how in the world do I install the Firmware? It says it is separate but has no link to it. I dont wanna install the wrong thing and brick it.

All you need is install the mix control. (Scarlett MixControl 1.10b3)

Release notes:

Installs Scarlett Mix Control 1.10, driver 4.54.104.715, ASIO Control Panel and 1st Gen Scarlett Firmware Updater.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #53
Jimmy James

Thanks bro. So I just stick with Firmware version 634?

What should I set my latency to now? I used 6ms for latency free recording. And I mixed with 10 to 15 ms.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #54
Xenakios

Quote:
What should I set my latency to now? I used 6ms for latency free recording. And I mixed with 10 to 15 ms.
At 44100Hz samplerate 256 samples is about 6 milliseconds and 512 samples is about 12 milliseconds.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #55
Jimmy James

Quote:
At 44100Hz samplerate 256 samples is about 6 milliseconds and 512 samples is about 12 milliseconds.
Cool thanks man. i will try those for recording and mixing.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #56
Jimmy James

Ok, I got it. If you have Windows 10. After you restart your computer ( you are prompted to do so) your new driver will be installed. Then, if you open your Start menu you will find "Focusrite Gen 1 Firmware Updater". Just run that and it will take your Firmware up to 1056.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #57
Doc Brown

Quote:
Ok, I got it. If you have Windows 10. After you restart your computer ( you are prompted to do so) your new driver will be installed. Then, if you open your Start menu you will find "Focusrite Gen 1 Firmware Updater". Just run that and it will take your Firmware up to 1056.

Let us know how it behaves, though in my case I'm running windows 7 x64 so it's not apples to apples.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #58
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
That's just the reported time, actual round trip time at 256 for the 2nd gen focusrites is 22ms
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #59
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
That's just the reported time, actual round trip time at 256 for the 2nd gen focusrites is 22ms
Wholy crap. That is really high.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #60
pipelineaudio
Mortal

http://kailuamusicschool.com/tech/ro...tency-roundup/
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #61
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Yeah I was thinking if I should mention the set ASIO buffer size doesn't necessarily reflect the full roundtrip time, but decided it would just complicate matters. The Focusrite drivers and/or hardware indeed seem to cause a lot of overall latency. (It hasn't bothered me much though because I don't usually live monitor through the DAW set up.)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #62
Limestone

Default Wanted to report...

Latest driver (as well as previous beta) is allowing my 1st gen scarlett 18i10 to work better than it ever has. Really thankful they didn't leave us 1st gen customers out in the cold.
Limestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #63
inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limestone View Post
Latest driver (as well as previous beta) is allowing my 1st gen scarlett 18i10 to work better than it ever has. Really thankful they didn't leave us 1st gen customers out in the cold.
Yes, I was very tempted to try and sell my unit and upgrade but I probably wouldn't have bought the 2nd gen if they had given up releasing new drivers for this in the hope people would upgrade when the latency has been solved with software.
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #64
RobertP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Bit wary of all this ...
anyone updated an 8i6?
bump...
Old 09-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #65
viscofisy

Quote:
Bit wary of all this ...
anyone updated an 8i6?
I was a bit wary too, but then I couldn't resist.

So I updated my 8i6 tonight and it's now working perfectly - although when I did the install, re-started my pc, and opened Reaper, I got no signal initially. I had the direct audio through the 8i6 headphones (my guitar plugged in) but nothing in Reaper. Also tried loading a VSTi synth ... no sound.

Thinking I might have bricked it, I closed Reaper and re-opened ... and now it's working fine.

I'm on Windows7 64bit - which I haven't updated in well over a year, as I keep it offline these days.

I'll report back later if there's any problem.
_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #66
endorka

Did the upgrade on my laptop today. Windows 10, 18i8 interface. Seems to be working well.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #67
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post

So I updated my 8i6 tonight and it's now working perfectly - although when I did the install, re-started my pc, and opened Reaper, I got no signal initially. I had the direct audio through the 8i6 headphones (my guitar plugged in) but nothing in Reaper. Also tried loading a VSTi synth ... no sound.

Thinking I might have bricked it, I closed Reaper and re-opened ... and now it's working fine.

I'm on Windows7 64bit - which I haven't updated in well over a year, as I keep it offline these days.

_

I'm in a very similar situation as I'm running windows 7 and I haven't updated it in almost a year as well due the spectre and meltdown mitigation patch which will slow down my system which I can't afford on a i7 2600. The last beta they put out caused my system to bsod so I'm leary of installing this driver.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:06 AM   #68
RobertP

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post

_
Many thanks viscofisy.
I am on win 7 64 so it is reasuring to hear someone has done it succesfully. Was there any noticeable difference?
I'll give it a few more days then take the plunge I think.

Incidently, did you uninstall the old one first or just install over the top?
Old 09-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #69
viscofisy

@RobertP - no need to uninstall - I downloaded the installer to a USB stick on a laptop, then transferred it to my DAW pc and ran it.

I'm hearing a noticeable difference in latency - in that there's no doubling apparent at the lower settings when blending the Focusrite's direct monitoring with Reaper's track monitoring. Actually, I did some tests because of this thread prior to installing the new drivers, but I haven't had time to repeat it with the new.

The other visual/functional difference is that you now get an additional desktop icon for a small app where you can set the sample rate ... and the buffer size in samples

The Scarlett Mix Control is also updated, the buffer size dropdown box now also being in samples rather than ms.

The buffer size choice starts at 16 and ends at 1024, iirc.
_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #70
ivansc

Despite all the problems I went through with the gen 1 devices, I am SO pleased that it appears Focusrite have someone that knows what they are doing in the software drivers department again.
I wish I could have afforded to hang onto my Saffire 6 "just in case". It was great while it worked.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #71
Doc Brown

I just tried to install the new beta and it installed fine and I rebooted and the mix control opened and the buffer tool opened and everything seemed to be installed and working. Windows gave me the message that the new driver was successfully installed.

I opened reaper and then BSOD. I rebooted and tried two more times and everything is fine until Reaper opens and then instant BSOD exactly the same as the last driver. The BSOD error mentions the focusrite driver as the culprit also do it's not just a random coincidence. When I build my new system I'm just going to buy RME and be done with this driver carousel.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #72
RobertP

I just updated my 8i6 and had no problems at all.
One niggle was having to revisit Devices in Reaper as more seemed to have appeared, and also reset inputs and input range.

I seem to now have 2 scarlett devices, one with a '2.0' attached and one without. It defaulted to the one with 2.0 but no inputs. I changed it to the one without and inputs appeared - all good.

The default buffer was at 128. I changed it to 32 and got the odd crackle that disappeared when I upped it to 64 - small project though, 14 tracks all midi via kontakt.

I can't comment on latency as that has never been a problem for me.
Should I be looking at the ms number on the very top right bar in Reaper?

I'm happy at being able to take a breath...
Old 09-26-2018, 03:17 AM   #73
krismpos

Quote:
I just updated my 8i6 and had no problems at all.
One niggle was having to revisit Devices in Reaper as more seemed to have appeared, and also reset inputs and input range.

I seem to now have 2 scarlett devices, one with a '2.0' attached and one without. It defaulted to the one with 2.0 but no inputs. I changed it to the one without and inputs appeared - all good.
)
I was about to post that very thing, although I own a 6i6. I'm not really bothered that 2.0 seems unusable, but do we miss anything obvious here?
krismpos is offline   Reply With Quote