Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 10:02 AM   #81
Klangfarben
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Which is why we should have an option, simple.
Everything can't always be an option. You've made your argument. Repeatedly. Now let the devs decide.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #82
bFooz

If you do not want to ditch "recycle bin" from the label, at least rename it to "Delete to Recycle Bin" (with that capitalisation)

Action for this is missing, it should have delete key assigned to it by default if it is not already assigned to another action in ME context.

The confirmation dialog should say "Delete 1 file" or "Remove 1 file" or "Delete 1 file to Recycle Bin" or so. We are not re-cycling files, we are recycling just the space under files, and that's only when they are removed from Recycle Bin. And Recycle Bin on Macs is called Trash I believe. But please do not make it "Recycle Bin/Trash" here. I'd say either keep just RB or make it platform specific.

bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:04 AM   #83
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Everything can't always be an option.
Number of Reaper options disagrees.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #84
deeb

Quote:
Number of Reaper options disagrees.
it can't be infinite options.

No one cares, but i think present solution is not good compared with suggested cubase and Digital Performer solutions. Not good in terms of usability and future scalability and feature richness and integration of several features in one working as a whole, making everything related with everything .

Picking in cubase example with quickcontrollers:

8 parameters which you could define for
- use midi when track is selected (could be done without this constrain also)
- use in the track/mixer layout the way you want and with coherency which fits each ones need

but i guess is too late! devs and everyone is too submerse in the concept of adding to track/ mixer layout no matter what .

Last edited by deeb; 07-08-2020 at 11:36 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #85
ferropop

MEDIA EXPLORER: Browse to File Location

When doing a Search there's no way to navigate to a sample's folder. This is a super common use case : type a search phrase, something interesting comes up - you want to see what else is in that same folder.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #86
bFooz

Copy-paste not working within the same directory. To be compatible with WinExplorer, new copies of "untitled" should be named like this. If I copy "untitled - Copy", WinExplorer creates "untitled - Copy - Copy".

When there is something in the clipboard to paste, Paste option has an unnecessary checkbox.

In this menu, there is still unnecessary " files" in copy paste labels.

When rightclicked into blank area, all selected files are unselected so there is nothing to copy. So:
- either keep file selection and then gray out Copy when nothing is selected (MultiCommander style)
- or remove Copy from this menu because there is never going to be anything to copy (Win Explorer style).

Add Refresh into this menu, the action already exists (40018)

Add "Cut" action. It would run Copy and delete the original file on pasting. In case of cut-pasting within the same directory, it would do nothing. In menu, it should be in order Cut-Copy-Paste.

Create key-assignable action for Rename, Show in Explorer, Delete to Recycle Bin,

Renaming should be done inline as are other metadata.

Folder copying does not work. It creates just some file with the same name as copied folder with 0B size.

Right-click on folder says "Select" when it should say "Open".
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #87
nofish

While Media Explorer is still in focus I'd like to suggest (again) an option to select files on hover.
(Been using this always when auditioning files when we still had the option to use Windows explorer and will surely miss it. But maybe I'm the only one...)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #88
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
You can change them here:

But it goes black in the TCP when I drag it.
Be sure to filter for "scrollbar" instead, since there are entries for the TCP one that are separate. (I find this useful since the color and blend mode/strength are things you may want different in the TCP compared to MCP, due to the background images being different.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #89
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
While Media Explorer is still in focus I'd like to suggest (again) an option to select files on hover.
(Been using this always when auditioning files when we still had the option to use Windows explorer and will surely miss it. But maybe I'm the only one...)
I have never experienced it .. I click and arrow up and down when near ! Anyway.. thank you for the br_envelopes fix in sws!
Old 07-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #90
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Copy-paste not working ...
Thank you bfooz for insights
Old 07-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #91
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
MEDIA EXPLORER: Browse to File Location

When doing a Search there's no way to navigate to a sample's folder. This is a super common use case : type a search phrase, something interesting comes up - you want to see what else is in that same folder.
Yeah like in finder search results: open containing folder
Old 07-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #92
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
I have never experienced it .. I click and arrow up and down when near ! Anyway.. thank you for the br_envelopes fix in sws!
Arrow up/down is fine when listening to consecutive files.
I use this more when randomly jumping around (edit: Saves quite a few mouse clicks).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:14 AM   #93
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Arrow up/down is fine when listening to consecutive files.
I use this more when randomly jumping around.
I can imagine it can be bring some times pleasant rythmical motifs with it
I'll had to the request ability to record what you ear while browsing
now seriously hope it can be integrated!
Old 07-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #94
Thonex

Regarding the Show FX Parameters directly below the its associated plugin debate, I vote to keep it as it is in the latest PRE-release. With multiple FXs, it's too hard to know what's assigned to what.

I'm not against an option however... but I do agree that too many options (in principal) are not the right solution either.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #95
ovnis

Lots of options are not an issue.

If we put the advanced options into the action list, only who wants to tweak those options will find them.

Casual users will never seen all those options (if they don't try to find them).

So, with this system, it remains easy for casual/novice users and great for the power users who will can manage lots of options.

Last edited by ovnis; 07-08-2020 at 12:00 PM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #96
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Lots of options is not an issue.

If we put the advanced options into the action list, only who wants to tweak those options will find them.

Casual users will never seen all those options (if they don't try to find them).

So, with this system, it remains easy for casual users and great for the power users who will can manage lots of options.
Yes Only they know if it is worth or not .. hmm in this case If I was cockos decision maker I would disable both versions from reaper. Integrate sends and params as being the same for the user , make quick controllers and then an inspector and option to present this user defined quick controllers params in track/mixer layout. A total integration of everything. Anyway. Sorry I am repeating .. I stop
Old 07-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #97
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
So, with this system, it remains easy for casual/novice users and great for the power users who will can manage lots of options.
But it also can cause regressions going forward and become a nightmare for the Devs to manage, so at the end of the day the decision is theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmanActive View Post
One very nasty consequence of having hundrends of options and code branching is that when you want to upgrade something, you inadvertently end up breaking something else, and even worse, most of the time you are not even aware of it.
This is very true which is why deciding whether options are "not an issue" should really be left to the people responsible for the code base.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #98
_Stevie_

I'm also in favor of the new way of how the FX parameters are handled. But as Thonex pointed out, I also wouldn't mind an option for the old behavior.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #99
_Stevie_

Quote:
It makes perfect sense. As long as there is a way to collapse it. Which Stevie suggested and several of us agreed with. Phelix had some excellent suggestions as well.

As long as that section can be collapsed and it can be turned on/off per plugin, not just globally, I'm good with it. It makes it easy to quickly see which parameters are associated with which plugin.

I think the above two requests and Phelix's suggestions would help sort this and make it a large improvement over the old display method.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=52

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=42
Yes, if these FRs would be considered, I'd be very grateful.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #100
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Yes, if these FRs would be considered, I'd be very grateful.
A collapse/expand inside an collapse/expand element like tracks is no good UI. It's a clicking trap and hassle.
I am in 1280 screen most of the times. Its not useful having to expand a track to see controls and then expand to see more, and at some point I have to scroll to be able to see everything (£-#+#((##+£-382(£+) . I am ceptic about the efforts being done.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #101
akademie

So, really not a word from devs about removing long standing option of parameters section (in MCP)?

No flames Klangfarben and others, but the fact that you don't use it like many of us do (e.g. EvilDragon) does mean nothing to the problem. If devs has any GOOD reason to remove, why they do not tell us? (no communication). I believe that ED is capable enough to be taken seriously by devs.

When schwa wanted to know about the formats we use (2 weeks ago), we gave him what he needed. Why not give us what we need - I mean reason and communication. Sad

Last edited by akademie; 07-08-2020 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added text
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #102
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
A collapse/expand inside an collapse/expand element like tracks is no good UI. It's a clicking trap and hassle.
I am in 1280 screen most of the times. Its not useful having to expand a track to see controls and then expand to see more, and at some point I have to scroll to be able to see everything (£-#+#((##+£-382(£+) . I am ceptic about the efforts being done.
We are talking about in the MCP for the fx parameters below the plugin.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #103
deeb

Quote:
We are talking about in the MCP for the fx parameters below the plugin.
Ok , but both quoted threads refer to tcp
Old 07-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #104
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
An option to retain the old separated section for FX params is all I am asking for.
OK, but how were you asking for it?

Quote:
they sorely need to employ a good UX designer.
Quote:
I mean sure, if they want to lose long-time and super involved users like me, fine, let them continue like that. But I don't want to see Cockos go there.
I appreciate that you have strong feelings about this (and a few other things), but don't you think this not exactly a constructive, more like...umm.. "screaming tantrum" style of asking?

As I understood it the change was to remove a bunch of old code. Maybe the change was made with the intent to replace it with some more appropriate code later, because you are likely not the only one who has strong feelings about the position of the knobs?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #105
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
<snip>
Maybe the change was made with the intent to replace it with some more appropriate code later, because you are likely not the only one who has strong feelings about the position of the knobs?
That is exactly why are we wondering why devs do not talk to us about the problem, so we can only speculate.

And I think you quotted ED's latest posts, when maybe he is bit upset already, because he did noted this problem many many posts ago from the start of this issue with absolutely no feedback. (And you also cut it out of context - e.g. IF .... they sorely need to employ a good UX designer. It was not standing by itself, you know it). So, please, let's be all correct.

EDIT:
Hhere is the full context of ED's longer post:
"And yes, I used the word impediment. Because it is, it's slowing down overview and workflow instead of speeding it up. If devs don't understand or see this as impediment, they sorely need to employ a good UX designer."

Last edited by akademie; 07-08-2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: editing
Old 07-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #106
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
As I understood it the change was to remove a bunch of old code. Maybe the change was made with the intent to replace it with some more appropriate code later, because you are likely not the only one who has strong feelings about the position of the knobs?
Had this been communicated better from the dev side, I wouldn't have thrown a tantrum.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #107
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
That is exactly why are we wondering why devs do not talk to us about the problem, so we can only speculate.

And I think you quotted ED's latest posts, when maybe he is bit upset already, because he did noted this problem many many posts ago from the start of this issue with absolutely no feedback. So, please, let's be all correct.
His tone has been consistent since he started posting about it, so I think Ollie's point is well taken. There are LOTS of things the devs don't comment on. Many things that do not work correctly or the omission doesn't seem to make sense. Just going on and on about it doesn't do any good at this point. His opinion has been heard.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #108
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Had this been communicated better from the dev side, I wouldn't have thrown a tantrum.

If you'd listen, I'd stop hitting you!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #109
deeb

Manny users spend their time for free, some times seems like cockos just takes takes takes .. don't care about this users time.
With the right balance , Maybe a bit of pre planning or targets could be communicated and considered in future and a little bit of more feedback. It's my thought.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #110
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If you'd listen, I'd stop hitting you!
Ha, pretty much
Old 07-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #111
akademie

v6.12+dev0708 - July 8 2020
# MCP extended mixer: When grouping FX parameters, use separate list

Thanks
Old 07-08-2020, 01:40 PM   #112
puddi

I think a good compromise would be an option for fixed FX slots. That way you could have an EQ and its corresponding track controls on, say, mixer slot 15 for every track.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=192783
Old 07-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #113
schwa
Administrator

Seriously, there is a constructive way to give feedback and a not constructive way. Threatening to leave and insulting the developers is not a constructive way!

We ask users to engage respectfully with each other and we do our best to engage respectfully with users. We'd like the same courtesy.

If we don't engage on every comment, that is not a lack of respect, it's just a lack of time in the day, or sometimes it's because things are in flux and it doesn't make sense to get specific at that exact time.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:24 PM   #114
_Stevie_

Thanks for that post and the explanation!
Old 07-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #115
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If we don't engage on every comment, that is not a lack of respect, it's just a lack of time in the day, or sometimes it's because things are in flux and it doesn't make sense to get specific at that exact time.
I understand that .. still some user comments have an associated time and focus given from that user. And I know it's by our willing, but at some point we start debating stupid stuff aka "spend our time" on things which are not useful at all. And we also have limited time anyway ! Just a thought
Old 07-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #116
DarkStar

Quote:
You can change them here:

But it goes black in the TCP when I drag it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Be sure to filter for "scrollbar" instead, since there are entries for the TCP one that are separate. (I find this useful since the color and blend mode/strength are things you may want different in the TCP compared to MCP, due to the background images being different.)
Thank you, that fixed it.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #117
DarkStar

Quote:
The Media Explorer Preview lane has reduced significantly in height and the MIDI note pitch range seems to be from C-2 to G8 (or equivalent).

>>> https://i.imgur.com/R1NWEdH.png
Better for .wav display in v6.12+dev0708, but MIDI is still cramped.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #118
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Better for .wav display in v6.12+dev0708, but MIDI is still cramped.
You know you can resize it right?
Old 07-08-2020, 04:39 PM   #119
DarkStar

Yep

What I meant was that the MIDI notes are not spread out vertically. Please have a look at:
>>> https://i.imgur.com/ilB0wIT.png
Old 07-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #120
Zephyrus

another asio related bug that crashes /freezes reaper:

-audio interface is set to 48khz (requrest samplerate is unchecked)
-project default settings : project samplerate is checked and set to 48khz.

Now switching in the project default settings dialog to 44khz and hit save or save as default works probably.
However switching to 96khz (or 88khz, 192 etc.) freezes reaper completely and crashes with the send report dialog.

Setting the audio interface to 96khz manualy and then activate the project samplerate checkbox entering 96khz or 88khz works without crashing. Going then to 44khz or 48khz when asio is running at 96khz freezes and crashes again.

reaper 6.12+dev0707 win10x64 spl crimson latest asio driver. (happens also with another interface), no crash dump is generated
Zephyrus is offline   Reply With Quote