Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 04-19-2023, 10:25 AM   #1
777funk
Human being with feelings

Default M-Audio ProFire FW610 Firewire interface. How I got it working in Linux (QJackCtl)

Firewire doesn't seem to work well on my computer in ALSA mode (causes freezing), but works great in Jack.

This particular M-Audio interface probably others as well however would not load in jack. Jack was saying it could not gain ownership of Dice (the chip manufacturer for this unit). The fix for it was to blacklist dice.

Some interfaces must have linux' native firewire blacklisted. M-Audio Profire 610 was one of these. To get it to work in QJackCtl I had to do the following via a terminal:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

and add the line:
blacklist snd_dice

to that file, save, and exit.

Then I ran:
sudo update-initramfs -u

Then I restarted and it worked.

This is because the M-Audio has a Dice brand chip and I believe the ALSA sound server was taking ownership of firewire. Once I did this, it runs from QjackCtl as Firewire

Interface >>> Default

and basically any setting of frames sample rate or period that the computer can handle. For mine it was 128 and default on periods. The live monitoring doesn't seem to work, although FFADO mixer does show the M Audio interface.

For live monitoring, I unfortunately have to just check "monitor input" on the record button in reaper. It has a slight lag (5-10ms) but that'll have to be life. It is nice to monitor via hardware through the interface but that will likely not be an option. Not the end of the world!

Hopefully this helps someone else with an M-audio firewire interface. Note that I have all FFADO packages in synaptic installed. That may or may not make a difference.

Note, I didn't have to do this for the Presonus Firebox.
777funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 10:28 AM   #2
777funk

Credit to this thread for some of the ideas in the fix. Note they blacklist a bunch of other brands of interface chips in Linux' native Firewire support.

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/alesi...blem/103027/19

Here are the others they mention. I did not follow their method as you can see. I have no idea if that works. Also I notice they have a dash between the words here. The only chip I blacklisted was dice and I used an underscore between snd_dice. Here is their list of chips to blacklist:

blacklist snd-fireworks
blacklist snd-bebob
blacklist snd-oxfw
blacklist snd-dice
blacklist snd-firewire-digi00x
blacklist snd-firewire-tascam
blacklist snd-firewire-lib
blacklist snd-firewire-transceiver
blacklist snd-fireface
blacklist snd-firewire-motu
Old 04-19-2023, 04:19 PM   #3
777funk

This fix also works for an Apogee Duet (just add blacklist snd_oxfw to the file). Also, for anyone wondering, the Duet is usable via the big knob (adjusts input level for ch1 and ch2 and output all by just pressing the button, it can also mute by holding for ~3 seconds. If no sound initially, hold the big knob down it's probably muted). But no phantom power or any way I know of to turn it on. And no live monitoring (that I could figure out). I didn't try it with FFADO mixer. I should have. EDIT: It does not work with FFADO mixer. Also, only one channel seems to come alive. You can't change any input settings (XLR or 1/4" etc). There is supposedly control software for it, but I didn't have the patience for more than an hour of messing with it (not a ton of Ubuntu documentation).

Last edited by 777funk; 04-28-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:50 AM   #4
DuX

Great info for firewire audio interface owners 777Funk. Thanks!

I have a TC StudioKonnekt48 fw but it's connected standalone to RME HDSP9652 PCI card and controlled when needed by a laptop with Windows. You never know if I might need to connect it through firewire, though, so I already presume I would have to blacklist snd-dice to make it work. Weird I hadn't tried at least to see how it works with Linux. The remote is incredibly useful and mixer app is just not needed most of the time.

I think maybe this thread should be made into how to make Linux work with Firewire audio interfaces, possibly? People buy these older and still incredibly nice firewire interfaces that can be had for little money these days.

Last edited by DuX; 04-20-2023 at 03:57 AM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:00 AM   #5
777funk

I have an M-Audio ProFire 2626 coming today. It should be the same as the 610 just more i/o. A steal at $50 shipped. The converters are very good.

EDIT: Yes it works just the same. FFADO actually does recognize it, however I have not figured out a way to turn on the internal monitoring (direct monitoring). I'd bet there is a way from within FFADO. For now, I can monitor in Reaper with 5ms or so of latency. Good enough for me.

Last edited by 777funk; 05-05-2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:02 AM   #6
777funk

Update to this thread. The ProFire 2626 also works with the same settings as it's little brother the 610.

And... The Firewire 410 (basically Gen 1 of the 610) also works great in Linux. How I got it to work...

Same as the 610 except the Firewire chipset is different. Blacklist this instead of dice:

blacklist snd-bebob

This keeps the stock Linux Audio from taking ownership of this Firewire interface and reserves it for Jack.

Once this is done, it works just the same. EXCEPT and a big except here which made me think it didn't work...

The inputs/outputs begin at 3 (or 3 and 4 if in stereo). So, since Reaper has the main outs and ins starting at 1 and 2, you will think this thing's not working. It is, you just have to set the outputs and inputs to begin at 3 and 4 (i.e. stereo master channel normally sends out sound on 1 and 2... change it to 3 and 4). Weird... but something to remember. The interface itself works great once you know this.