Old 03-03-2023, 02:13 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Guitarix.VST3 Test

I knocked out a quick jam test using Guitarix.VST3 on bass and three guitars using the presets I programmed in the stand alone version. Bass is through an Ampeg SVT model. Rhythm guitars are through Mesa Boogie clean and crunch presets, and the solo is through a Boogie lead preset.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14557389

It's titled "Shorts" because it was played on my short scale Gretsch Jet bass, and short scale Ibanez GIO guitar. Also, it's very short. The drums are Superior Drummer 2 played from my V-Drums. No other FX were used on the three guitars and bass.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 03:36 PM   #2
4duhwinnn

Nicely done, sounds great in my headphones, and seems perfectly mixed.
Don't take the weekend off!
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 04:28 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Nicely done, sounds great in my headphones, and seems perfectly mixed.
Don't take the weekend off!
Thanks.

I broke all the rules on this test. Besides playing all the guitars and bass, monitoring through REAPER, I also used my wireless radio system on all of them while recording. I figgered, "it's just a test", but latency didn't become a problem.

Guitarix.VST3 is way easier to use than creating a virtual amp using the individual Guitarix LV2 plugins. Only wish I could build virtual amps in the VST3, but setting them up in the standalone version is easy enough, and they can be tweaked in the VST, just not created.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:23 PM   #4
audiojunkie

I like the jam! I thought I heard Hendrix does Dylan influences in there. Kind of All Along the Watchtower vibe on there toward the end. 😎👍🏼
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:15 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
I like the jam! I thought I heard Hendrix does Dylan influences in there. Kind of All Along the Watchtower vibe on there toward the end. 😎👍🏼
Thanks. The four patches for Guitarix.VST3 that I'm using are ones I created from scratch several months back in the standalone version of Guitarix. I did make adjustments once I recorded the parts, and even though I can't save them as the presets they originated from, I can save them as REAPER track templates.

The solo patch worked pretty well at channeling the Hendrix thing. I kind of wanted to see how Guitarix.VST3 would react to something like that, and I'm happy to say it did a respectable job.
Old 03-04-2023, 04:01 AM   #6
/AND/

Unfortunately, I can't hear it. Care to upload it elsewhere e.g. SoundCloud?
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 08:13 AM   #7
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I knocked out a quick jam test using Guitarix.VST3 on bass and three guitars using the presets I programmed in the stand alone version. Bass is through an Ampeg SVT model. Rhythm guitars are through Mesa Boogie clean and crunch presets, and the solo is through a Boogie lead preset.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14557389

It's titled "Shorts" because it was played on my short scale Gretsch Jet bass, and short scale Ibanez GIO guitar. Also, it's very short. The drums are Superior Drummer 2 played from my V-Drums. No other FX were used on the three guitars and bass.
Just an FYI, I'm about to start porting all six airwindows guitar amps as a single jsfx given the control sliders for each of the six are identical. I'll have a dropdown selection to set the amp type. There's a surprisingly large amount of code to wade through but it will be a fun project. I'll let you know when it is done and maybe you could give it a spin.
Old 03-04-2023, 08:38 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
Unfortunately, I can't hear it. Care to upload it elsewhere e.g. SoundCloud?
Did you press the play button on the page? I don't have an account setup anywhere else, and avoid signing up for anything new that requires me to hand over an email address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmaha View Post
Just an FYI, I'm about to start porting all six airwindows guitar amps as a single jsfx given the control sliders for each of the six are identical. I'll have a dropdown selection to set the amp type. There's a surprisingly large amount of code to wade through but it will be a fun project. I'll let you know when it is done and maybe you could give it a spin.
Sounds cool. I could play this very same project through them, so there would be something to compare with.
Old 03-04-2023, 03:33 PM   #9
chmaha

Quote:
Sounds cool. I could play this very same project through them, so there would be something to compare with.
I'm abandoning. I think single thread jsfx is not going to be good for these amps which seem to be generating convolution on the fly much like airwindows BussColors4 which had ridiculous CPU needs. Oh well. Better to discover this while coding the first of the six
Old 03-04-2023, 04:44 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmaha View Post
I'm abandoning. I think single thread jsfx is not going to be good for these amps which seem to be generating convolution on the fly much like airwindows BussColors4 which had ridiculous CPU needs. Oh well. Better to discover this while coding the first of the six
Ah well, I've messed with a couple jsfx amp sims, and while they were pretty cool, neither of them were plugins I'd likely use, where Guitarix.VST3 is actually one I might use. I have a real tube preamp/pedalboard, low watt tube amp head, and miked speaker cab that I use in most cases.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:03 PM   #11
Stringer

Quote:
Ah well, I've messed with a couple jsfx amp sims, and while they were pretty cool, neither of them were plugins I'd likely use, where Guitarix.VST3 is actually one I might use. I have a real tube preamp/pedalboard, low watt tube amp head, and miked speaker cab that I use in most cases.
I am finding Guitarix a bit difficult. I am mostly looking for clean sounds and it always sounds a bit muddy to me, but maybe I don't know how to use it.

Here is a short clip with Guitarix first, then Tukan's jsfx Guitar Amp, both going through Tukan's AC-Trem jfsx plug (with only reverb, trem turned off) and an OwnHammer AC-30 cab IR loaded into Reaverb. For each I play a little bit of a chord progression and then some lead noodling. I tried to get them as close as possible. Guitarix has the treble turned up quite a bit. The tone controls on Guitar Amp are flat. To me Guitar Amp still sounds brighter and twangier, a little more lively.

https://soundcloud.com/guitarsophist...guitaramp-test
Old 03-06-2023, 01:18 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I am finding Guitarix a bit difficult. I am mostly looking for clean sounds and it always sounds a bit muddy to me, but maybe I don't know how to use it.

Here is a short clip with Guitarix first, then Tukan's jsfx Guitar Amp, both going through Tukan's AC-Trem jfsx plug (with only reverb, trem turned off) and an OwnHammer AC-30 cab IR loaded into Reaverb. For each I play a little bit of a chord progression and then some lead noodling. I tried to get them as close as possible. Guitarix has the treble turned up quite a bit. The tone controls on Guitar Amp are flat. To me Guitar Amp still sounds brighter and twangier, a little more lively.

https://soundcloud.com/guitarsophist...guitaramp-test

I dunno if this will translate, but here's a zipped up track template using Guitarix.VST3 and the Guitarix LV2 plugin tuner.

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1678133706

This is what was used on the clean guitar panned hard right in my test project in the first post. Also, if this makes some difference, I played that on my 3/4 scale Ibanez GIO with the pickup selector set for single coil neck and single coil bridge.

Last edited by Glennbo; 03-13-2023 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:39 PM   #13
Stringer

Quote:
I dunno if this will translate, but here's a zipped up track template using Guitarix.VST3 and the Guitarix LV2 plugin tuner.

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1678133706

This is what was used on the clean guitar panned hard right in my test project in the first post. Also, if this makes some difference, I played that on my 3/4 scale Ibanez GIO with the pickup selector set for single coil neck and single coil bridge.
Do you mean the guitar playing chords? That is pretty low in the mix. Mostly what I hear is the shred guitar. We may have different ideas of clean. Even when I play blues I use a pretty clean tone. Your clip sounds good though.

On my short demo, it's not that Guitarix sounds bad. It's just that the Tukan stuff sounds a little better and is less work to get a good sound out of.

I'll see if I can figure out what to do with the zip file.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2023, 02:44 PM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Do you mean the guitar playing chords? That is pretty low in the mix. Mostly what I hear is the shred guitar. We may have different ideas of clean. Even when I play blues I use a pretty clean tone. Your clip sounds good though.
Thanks. Here's an isolated section of just the clean guitar through Guitarix.VST3 from that recording.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14558728

Quote:
On my short demo, it's not that Guitarix sounds bad. It's just that the Tukan stuff sounds a little better and is less work to get a good sound out of.
I would say use what sounds best to your ears. I have an always connected real tube preamp/pedalboard, low watt tube amp, and always miked vintage Gretsch speaker cabinet that I use most of the time.

I've just been jamming a lot through the standalone version of Guitarix, so when the VST3 version became available, I thought I'd try recording something with it.

Quote:
I'll see if I can figure out what to do with the zip file.

Thanks!
Should load Guitarix.VST3 with the clean patch I created and used on that isolated track, plus the Guitarix LV2 tuner, if it translates on other systems.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:12 PM   #15
bulevardi

Quote:
There's an updated version available here:
https://github.com/brummer10/guitarix.vst

With a button (online) to download a lot of presets.
A lot of them are for clean sounds too, and specifically for certain guitar styles. Should check it out!

I just downloaded all the presets, still need to test it.

Did a test with the previous version last weekend, with couple of other presets and it sounded fantastic.
Much much better than the Line6 Pocket Pod I once had years ago (which sounded like plastic)
Old 05-02-2023, 04:37 PM   #16
audiojunkie

....Annnnnd coming up next is midi control and automation! Anybody fancy a midi controlled foot pedal?
Old 05-08-2023, 08:10 AM   #17
bulevardi

I posted a Reel about Guitarix VST.
Feel free to comment or like, or share, via Twitter, FB, ... ;-)
Let's enlarge the community!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr_EB...c4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
Old 05-08-2023, 08:49 AM   #18
audiojunkie

Cool!