Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 03-24-2023, 11:26 PM   #1
.again
Human being with feelings

Default How is your experience with reaper on wayland?

Hey,

i started slowly to move towards wayland and was wondering how well does it work with reaper?

Is it supported natively or only via Xwayland?

What are your experiences?
.again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:29 AM   #2
Carldinal

It will run on xwayland. There has been some problem with some menus on some WMs and possibly DEs. Worked just fine on sway atleast.
Carldinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:51 AM   #3
/AND/

I encountered no issues whatsoever.

EDIT: forgot to mention my system, Fedora 37 with PipeWire and Wayland as native. NVidia GPU, Intel CPU.

Last edited by /AND/; 03-25-2023 at 10:43 AM.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:58 AM   #4
chmaha

Likewise, no issues using Arch + Gnome 43.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:17 AM   #5
wastee

In gnome mutter with hidpi and custom scale. Xwayland will display blur, so REAPER display bad.
wastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 06:01 AM   #6
Tare

I have been running Wayland on Arch + KDE for a few months now, and Reaper is not handling this very well. The native Linux version will automatically shrink the vertically window as far as it can, making it unusable.
The Windows x64 version through wine works better, but on most actions it will shrink the window by about a pixel, so I have to un-maximize and re-maximize the window a lot
Tare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 04:09 AM   #7
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastee View Post
In gnome mutter with hidpi and custom scale. Xwayland will display blur, so REAPER display bad.
But this is because of Reaper's abysmal scaling handling method, right? Not because of Mutter scaling issues?
Old 05-15-2023, 08:24 AM   #8
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
But this is because of Reaper's abysmal scaling handling method, right? Not because of Mutter scaling issues?
IIRC, this is because of the way GTK handles scaling.

I'm having no problems with Fedora here. I have collected a list of apps that work properly, and I don't use the other apps. I'm quite satisfied.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 03:10 AM   #9
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
IIRC, this is because of the way GTK handles scaling.
Yeah, probably is because of that. But Reaper's 90s scaling method also doesn't help either (not related to Wayland/X11 system scaling, though).
Old 05-29-2023, 03:21 AM   #10
Tare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tare View Post
I have been running Wayland on Arch + KDE for a few months now, and Reaper is not handling this very well. The native Linux version will automatically shrink the vertically window as far as it can, making it unusable.
The Windows x64 version through wine works better, but on most actions it will shrink the window by about a pixel, so I have to un-maximize and re-maximize the window a lot
I just updated, and the problem is gone for both the x64 wine version as well as the Linux native version. Seems like KDE has fixed whatever caused the issue.
Tare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:20 PM   #11
krahosk

Fedora 34 plans to ditch X11 in favor of Wayland in its KDE iteration.

https://www.debugpoint.com/fedora-34...lasma-wayland/
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:24 AM   #12
.again

It's now three weeks using Reaper with XWayland in combination with swaywm.

In general it works pretty well.

The only performance issue i experience so far is when I have multiple windows open which render a lot, i.e. wolf-spectrum and vital, the refresh rate of all but one window drops massively. And this concerns reaper windows' refresh rates as well.

So opening more than one vst window instance is not possible.

Does anybody experience similar problems?
.again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 08:42 PM   #13
dman

Default wayland experiences

I've been testing out reaper with Fedora for the last couple of years, using various desktops including sway, gnome, and plasma using both xorg and wayland logins. My daily driver is sway, and I'd love to be using it for DAW work, but it's just not quite there yet for me. I've had similar problems with various plugin UIs (including vital. Today on 6.81, using sway and

env -u WAYLAND_DISPLAY reaper

in my startup script (best way to launch it with environment vars such as pipewire buffer)

the app would crash whenever I tried to drag the left edge of the TCP waveform display to cover the track labels, with a docked mixer channel on the left. . .

Doesnt happen in a gnome/wayland boot, though. Scaling things for better viewing is still tricky. (I would love a UI overhaul for us old guys with worsening vision!)

The worst thing is that I often need to reset my MIDI devices. . . probably some problem with the current state of pipewire midi (3.73) , I suppose. That's a show stopper, so I have stuck with good ol' AVlinux for my creative production distro for now. . . no wayland, no pipewire, no pulseaudio, liquorix kernel, no other services running, just alsa and jack. But I'm wasting my life arranging windows all the time, fussing around with the mouse pointer. . . and of course I'm locked into a single interface where with Pipewire I can drive a busload of devices no problem. Come to think of it, I do have another problem with Pianoteq on wayland/pipewire boots, which is some kind of jitter issue, I believe, that develops intermittently, causing some maddening aliasing noise. But I'm not getting that on AVLinux, (debian MX, with a 6.0 kernel) with the same hardware (MiniDSP ADAT connection to RME Fireface UCX). I do feel that as a whole, the reaper/wayland/pipewire setup is ratcheting forward, and I'm hopeful that it will get there one day, especially with sway, which is a serious quality-of-life upgrade IMHO. I might even try out i3 with AVlinux at some point. In any case, my hat is still off to GMac, Justin, Wim Taymans et. al. for these great tools they have made available for us.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 11:37 AM   #14
dman

Default also

Only just discovered that swaybar configs often use a hacky kind of "daemon" (with shell loops) running to update time and other widgets, and I suppose those kinds of egregious interrupts would be suss in a RT-DAW context. . . . To me it seems like no status bar might be the best approach.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 01:26 PM   #15
Nullifer

Anyone know how to get rid of the buggy play head leaving a trail?

Nullifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:02 AM   #16
yochaigal

Reaper appears to work OK for me in Wayland/xwayland on Ubuntu 23.04, with the notable exception of having very blurry font in the interface. I've had the same issue with electron-based apps (e.g. slack, discord) and was able to fix it there, but I don't think any of those arguments would apply here. Running it with the env variables doesn't change much in this respect, either.
yochaigal is offline   Reply With Quote