Old 05-19-2023, 07:42 AM   #1
alextone
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI 2.0

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=25760
Old 05-22-2023, 03:28 AM   #2
/AND/

Thank God. It is only 3 decades overdue. Hope DAW developers catch up pretty soon.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:26 AM   #3
krahosk

At the time, when MIDI was introduced, there weren't any computer used for music. It was the only protocol. I wonder if MIDI is needed at all today, since modern programming language can handle every sound parameter natively.
Even Studio One proudly declares that there's "no MIDI under the hood" for their DAW.
VST, ARA, LV2, CLAP, AU, Jesusonic, etc are all to some extent an extension to MIDI also.

Last edited by krahosk; 05-26-2023 at 07:33 AM.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:47 AM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
At the time, when MIDI was introduced, there weren't any computer used for music.
Sequential Circuits and Roland demonstrated the first MIDI connected synthesizers at the 1983 NAMM show. Also in 1983, Sequential Circuits introduced the Model 64, which was both a MIDI sequencer, and a MIDI computer interface for the Commodore 64.

http://retrosynthads.blogspot.com/20...-model-64.html

A guy in my live band had a Sequential Circuits Prophet 600, and I bought the Model 64 MIDI interface/sequencer to use with my C64.

Very shortly after, I got a Roland, and in 1984 bought a Sequential Circuits Six-Trak right when they hit the street. The Model 64 MIDI interface/sequencer had an analog pulse clock input, and I would stripe a clock signal using my Sequential Circuits DrumTraks to one track of the eight channels of my Ampex 1" recorder,

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....2&d=1567387854

and then be able to record multiple MIDI parts that played in sync from the Model 64. Since mixdown was to analog tape, both the seven remaining tracks from the 1" Ampex and all the MIDI keyboards playing in sync would end up on the master mix.

Edit: For clarification, the Sequential Model 64 had the sequencer software in the interface, and since it plugged into the game card slot on a C64, just turning on the computer with the Model 64 plugged in, booted directly to the sequencing software, which (trivia moment) was written by Tim Ryan, who later created MidiMan which later became M-Audio.

Last edited by Glennbo; 05-26-2023 at 08:11 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:12 PM   #5
krahosk

I love the C64. The SID chip sounds defines an era.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:10 PM   #6
krahosk

You were cutting edge, Glennbo! All I did to was play games on the C64.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:16 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
I love the C64. The SID chip sounds defines an era.
The SID chip designers were some of the same folks who designed the Ensoniq sampling keyboard IIRC.

Quote:
You were cutting edge, Glennbo! All I did to was play games on the C64.
I was dabbling with BASIC on my C64, but when I got that Sequential Circuits MIDI interface, I started writing MIDI apps in assembly. This code started out as a simple tune request for all my analog synths, but morphed into a full librarian where I could dump or load single or full banks of synth patches.

Even had a random patch generator for my Sequential synth, where on screen like a slot machine, numbers were constantly rolling, and when you hit the space bar, they would all freeze with whatever value they had and then transmit the data to the synth where you could try it, and if it was a cool sound, save it. If not, you hit the space bar and all the random numbers started rolling again.

Last edited by Glennbo; 07-10-2023 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:27 PM   #8
krahosk

MI just remember having a music program from electronic arts for the C64 which I didn't really used because at the same time when I started playing the guitar. the Golden Years.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:39 PM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
MI just remember having a music program from electronic arts for the C64 which I didn't really used because at the same time when I started playing the guitar. the Golden Years.
I had that C64 music app. It was called Will Harvey's Music Construction Set, and an upgraded version for Amiga and Mac called Deluxe Music. I can still boot images of my old Amiga 500 and 2000 machines in FS-UAE, and can run Deluxe Music. Just loaded this and it plays multi-instruments through emulated Amiga sound.

I never used this after getting MIDI sequencing on my C64.

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-22-2023 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:44 AM   #10
alextone

Default midi 2 in linux kernel Docs.

With the impending addition of midi2 into the 6.4 kernel, docs have appeared in kernel submissions for ALSA.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...e9a2b91a3639d1