Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-02-2023, 01:46 PM   #41
ForrestH
Human being with feelings

WINE 8.7 also a WINEASIO failure.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:58 AM   #42
DuX

lol ForestHH I remember when I started using Linux and Reaper (native) I was so delighted with a thought of having VST/LV2 presets and config files in just a couple of locations, easier to find and backup. Oh I was sooo wrong... presets everywhere, configs everywhere, licenses everywhere... the worst is when devs use root of the home folder to store settings and licenses.

there is .config folder for all your stuff, devs. Everything you want to store in user's folder should go there. Not in Documents, not in the root of home folder, not even in an "invisible" .plugin root folder, because there are tons of plugins and if everyone had it their own way, you get what we have now and it's hard to backup everything. All one can do is backup whole home partition/folder, or spend considerable time finding and collecting all the files you put everywhere you like at the moment. Some even change the company names between plugin versions so you get the same plugins configs at two different places... aaaargh!

***sigh of relief***

Great thread, people. I am playing with WINE and LinVST to just run some Win VSTs in Reaper and this thread helps along with this whole Linux part of the forum, of course.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 05-05-2023 at 07:05 AM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:07 AM   #43
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
presets everywhere, configs everywhere, licenses everywhere... the worst is when devs use root of the home folder to store settings and licenses.
This. I am SO. SICK. OF. THIS.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:13 AM   #44
subsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
This. I am SO. SICK. OF. THIS.
Are there any devs that you think behave better than others? Or putting it the other way, which devs are the worst offenders?
subsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:24 AM   #45
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Are there any devs that you think behave better than others? Or putting it the other way, which devs are the worst offenders?
From my limited experience, u-he and Vital are major offenders, creating their own directories in ~HOME, sometimes not only for config files but for the plugin .so files as well. Reaper is good enough, using .config/REAPER/. The best would be to, of course, contain ALMOST EVERYTHING within the app install dir (except maybe vst/vst3/clap executables).
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 07:24 AM   #46
subsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
From my limited experience, u-he and Vital are major offenders, creating their own directories in ~HOME, sometimes not only for config files but for the plugin .so files as well. Reaper is good enough, using .config/REAPER/. The best would be to, of course, contain ALMOST EVERYTHING within the app install dir (except maybe vst/vst3/clap executables).
First of all, I never heard of Vital until you mentioned it, so thank you! That looks pretty cool! Although annoying about the files/directory issue you brought up.

As for U-he, I'll take wherever they throw their files. TBH, I'm just grateful they released Linux versions of their plugins. I don't care if they save their files in hieroglyphics on stone tablets, I'll still take them.

But I do get your point. IMO over the years, there were best practices and consensus that built up among many Win/Mac devs on those platforms for plugins, etc., but Linux has its own best practices and traditions, and some Win/Mac devs who are now porting products over haven't adjusted or aligned themselves yet. Hopefully they will soon.
subsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 08:50 PM   #47
ForrestH

WINE 8.8 also a WINEASIO failure.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:22 PM   #48
ForrestH

Here's a weirdity...

On my system REAPER on WINE connects to WINEASIO, which in turn connects to the simulated JACK that PipeWire provides. This works fine for MIDI and audio in (and audio from two different sound devices at that).

REAPER off WINE, as you might expect, talks directly to the simulated JACK that PipeWire provides. And lo! it has stopped working! According to qpwgraph everything is wired up correctly, but neither MIDI nor audio input is detected by REAPER. All the meters stay black, and the status line at the top says "0.0ms JACK" instead of "5.33 ms JACK".

In the triage department, other Linux DAWs have no trouble, and I rolled REAPER and the kernel back several versions with no change. Trés bizarre, non?
Old 05-31-2023, 02:36 AM   #49
wastee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestH View Post
WINE 8.8 also a WINEASIO failure.
I had a similar issue as you did. When I open WINE REAPER, it crashes immediately.
I found a possible solution that you can use as a reference:
  1. Redo the regsvr32 command as if you were installing wineasio for the first time. For me, the command is "wine64 regsvr32 /usr/lib/wine/x86_64-windows/wineasio.dll".
  2. Reset wineasio's settings. If you're using AUR (Arch Linux), there might be a command available to easily achieve this, such as "wineasio-settings". This step may not be necessary, but it's worth trying.
  3. Run WINE REAPER from the command line with the argument "-audiocfg". For example, "wine reaper.exe -audiocfg". This allows you to reselect the audio device. By ensuring the audio device is not in an open state, REAPER should no longer crash.
Please note that these steps are provided as a suggestion and may not guarantee a solution to your specific issue.
wastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:34 AM   #50
ForrestH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastee View Post
I had a similar issue as you did. When I open WINE REAPER, it crashes immediately.
I should have been more specific: the issue is not that REAPER crashes, but that the regsvr32 on post-8.2 WINE is broken such that it can't register the WINEASIO .dll/.so.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:02 PM   #51
wastee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestH View Post
the regsvr32 on post-8.2 WINE is broken such that it can't register the WINEASIO .dll/.so.
My apologies for the misunderstanding. Have you tried reinstalling wineasio or testing it in a new WINEPREFIX? I have been working fine with wine-tkg 8.8 and wineasio.
wastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:22 PM   #52
ForrestH

Hah! Mark the WINEASIO issue as semi-solved: I compiled the source under the current wine-staging-dev package, and it regsvr32'd successfully and seems to work, so the issue appears to be that the version in the kxstudio repos is out of date.

[I also tried compiling wine-tkg, but ran aground on its Debian target being version 11. Unsatisfiable dependencies, unapplyable patches...]