Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-25-2022, 04:08 AM   #801
/AND/
Human being with feelings

Seeing that people praise or criticise LinVST, yabridge or Carla here, I wanted to ask: what do you guys think is the best solution for bridging VSTs?

I am currently using yabridge, works great in about 90% of plugins. Some (example: Tx16WX), unfortunately, don't work with it and I cannot figure out what the problem is.

I am looking for the best and most stable bridge, so that I can use it in a set-and-forget manner. Best, as in: supports the greatest % of plugins in a satisfactory manner. I also don't want to have multiple bridges competing on my system, even if it means I will be left out of some plugins.

Do you think that's LinVST, yabridge, Carla, or something else?
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:24 AM   #802
Glennbo

I started with LinVST back in 2018 and used it until 2021 when I switched to Yabridge. Then one day in 2022 an update to both WINE and Yabridge broke my ability to load samples in Kontakt. I could load projects with Kontakt and they worked, but if I tried to load a new sample set, Kontakt would crash bringing REAPER down with it.

After finding some other plugins had issues or would not load, I downloaded the last version of LinVST, which was not that new, yet all my plugins worked again. For now I'm staying with LinVST which won't get automatically updated like the Yabridge I had installed from the repository in Manjaro.

I would say that if you will constantly be installing Windows plugins, Yabridge is probably better since it is constantly being updated, but if you have a set of Windows plugins you want to install and be done with installing more Windows plugins, then LinVST might be better.

For me, I have a handful of Windows plugins like Kontakt and Superior Drummer 2 that I need, and I have zero interest in ever installing another Windows plugin, so LinVST makes more sense. The plugins I want are all already installed and I just want them to work without any disruptions.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:30 PM   #803
salsaman

Default Plugin compatibility list ?

Hi, noob here, just wondering if there was a page or thread somewhere listing which plugins are known to work, which are known not to work, etc.
Specifically, I am interested in Soothe2 from Koeksound and Smooth Operator from Baby Audio.
salsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 06:41 AM   #804
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I started with LinVST back in 2018 and used it until 2021 when I switched to Yabridge. Then one day in 2022 an update to both WINE and Yabridge broke my ability to load samples in Kontakt. I could load projects with Kontakt and they worked, but if I tried to load a new sample set, Kontakt would crash bringing REAPER down with it.

After finding some other plugins had issues or would not load, I downloaded the last version of LinVST, which was not that new, yet all my plugins worked again. For now I'm staying with LinVST which won't get automatically updated like the Yabridge I had installed from the repository in Manjaro.

I would say that if you will constantly be installing Windows plugins, Yabridge is probably better since it is constantly being updated, but if you have a set of Windows plugins you want to install and be done with installing more Windows plugins, then LinVST might be better.

For me, I have a handful of Windows plugins like Kontakt and Superior Drummer 2 that I need, and I have zero interest in ever installing another Windows plugin, so LinVST makes more sense. The plugins I want are all already installed and I just want them to work without any disruptions.
What is the advantage of LinVST if it requires WINE too? Less complicated to set up?
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:24 AM   #805
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
What is the advantage of LinVST if it requires WINE too? Less complicated to set up?
LinVST just seems to require less maintenance to keep it running. Yabridge is constantly being updated, so if you are frequently installing/removing and trying different Windows plugins, it may be the better solution. I have about five Windows plugins that I've used in Linux for almost five years now, and I will NEVER be installing any additional Windows plugins, so the LinVST that I setup long ago is all I need.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:16 AM   #806
krahosk

Quote:
LinVST just seems to require less maintenance to keep it running. Yabridge is constantly being updated, so if you are frequently installing/removing and trying different Windows plugins, it may be the better solution. I have about five Windows plugins that I've used in Linux for almost five years now, and I will NEVER be installing any additional Windows plugins, so the LinVST that I setup long ago is all I need.
OK, you mean that LinVST doesn't need to be updated. But since I update my system regularly, it doesn't change anything for me.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:52 AM   #807
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
OK, you mean that LinVST doesn't need to be updated. But since I update my system regularly, it doesn't change anything for me.
Twice while using Yabridge, WINE updates broke it on my DAW machine. The first time, it was only WINE that got updated and rolling back to an earlier version of WINE fixed it until Yabridge got updated to work with the newer WINE.

The second time it happened, it was both WINE and Yabridge that had been updated on the same day, but this time, I reinstalled LinVST and it worked without downgrading WINE, so I kept using it.
Old 04-27-2023, 01:59 PM   #808
krahosk

Quote:
Twice while using Yabridge, WINE updates broke it on my DAW machine. The first time, it was only WINE that got updated and rolling back to an earlier version of WINE fixed it until Yabridge got updated to work with the newer WINE.

The second time it happened, it was both WINE and Yabridge that had been updated on the same day, but this time, I reinstalled LinVST and it worked without downgrading WINE, so I kept using it.
OK, I understand the situation. I'm fortunate to not having had such problem with Yabridge and Wine.
Old 04-28-2023, 04:50 AM   #809
mcoyle

Quote:

That's a big fear of mine. I'll be in the middle of a project and BAM. Wine updates. So by default, I stop wine from updating using this command from the yabridge page:

Code:
sudo apt-mark hold winehq-staging
Adjust if you're not using wine-staging.

If wine releases an update, I can wait a few days until my project is done to evaluate any potential problems.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:23 AM   #810
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoyle View Post
That's a big fear of mine. I'll be in the middle of a project and BAM. Wine updates. So by default, I stop wine from updating using this command from the yabridge page:

Code:
sudo apt-mark hold winehq-staging
Adjust if you're not using wine-staging.

If wine releases an update, I can wait a few days until my project is done to evaluate any potential problems.
I haven't done audio production for hire since selling my 1" Ampex AG440B-8 and mixing console in the early 2000s, so my situation is less critical. I let WINE update every new version, and the couple times I had issues, they were resolved in minutes

Originally I used LinVST and had it still installed but was using Yabridge the last time a WINE update caused a problem. I ran the LinVST convert function, and all my Windows plugins worked again, so I'm back on LinVST currently and have let WINE update a bunch of times since.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:34 AM   #811
mcoyle

Quote:
I haven't done audio production for hire since selling my 1" Ampex AG440B-8 and mixing console in the early 2000s
What a workhorse that transport was! We had several 4 track 1/2" where I use to work.
Old 04-28-2023, 12:19 PM   #812
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoyle View Post
What a workhorse that transport was! We had several 4 track 1/2" where I use to work.
It was a great machine, and the wider spacing per track it had over the eight track 1/2" Tascam 80-8 I previously had, made drums jump right out of the speakers with a much bigger sound.

This was my studio in the 90s when I was still working on the wall between control room, drum booth and vocal booth.

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....2&d=1567387854

I sold that deck in 1999 for about what I paid for it, and got Cakewalk Pro Audio. Been using DAW software ever since. Switched from Sonar to REAPER in 2008.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:05 PM   #813
sonicman

Yabridge with wine-staging seems rock solid now.
sonicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 08:05 AM   #814
Ilya Kuznetsov

I tried to install the Jamstix plugin using WineHQ 9.2, but unfortunately the program window had no controls, and Wine threw an error. I know yabridge runs jamstix4, but I can't install it. Can someone advise what to do?

I tried to register on the Rayzoon forum, but the email with information to activate my account has not arrived for two days.

upd.

I was able to launch Jamstix Manager and install the plugin. But unfortunately yabridge + wineHQ 9.2 + jamstix4 does not work, black screen

Last edited by Ilya Kuznetsov; 02-20-2024 at 07:47 AM.
Ilya Kuznetsov is offline   Reply With Quote