Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 12-07-2020, 07:17 AM   #1
dfsdiogo
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper on Flatpak.

Hi community,

Would it be possible for the 'reaper' to be available for download on the 'flatpak'?

Flatpak : https://flatpak.org/

Cheers!
dfsdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
JamesPeters

Is Flatpak only for free, open-source software? If so, Reaper wouldn't fit that requirement.

Also would Reaper work correctly as a Flatpak version, considering users like to add plugins and scripts from third-party sources? I recall having trouble getting third-party plugins working in the Flatpak version of Gimp, as an example. For one particular plugin suite (G'mic for Gimp) I had to find a Flatpak version of that, or it wouldn't work. For other plugins which were "in the wild", I couldn't find a way to make them work with the Flatpak version of Gimp.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:35 AM   #3
FeedTheCat

Having a Flatpak/Snap option would be neat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Is Flatpak only for free, open-source software? If so, Reaper wouldn't fit that requirement.

Also would Reaper work correctly as a Flatpak version, considering users like to add plugins and scripts from third-party sources? I recall having trouble getting third-party plugins working in the Flatpak version of Gimp, as an example. For one particular plugin suite (G'mic for Gimp) I had to find a Flatpak version of that, or it wouldn't work. For other plugins which were "in the wild", I couldn't find a way to make them work with the Flatpak version of Gimp.
It's fine with proprietary software as well. My guess is that REAPER would have no issues running in a sandbox environment, as that's essentially similar to a portable install.

That said, cough cough self-promote, for keeping REAPER up-to-date, you guys could try out my Update Utility. I basically wrote that for Linux as the update process was getting on my nerves
Old 12-08-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
JamesPeters

Thanks but I prefer to do updates myself since I run a script to prevent duplicate JS plugins from automatically being installed*, as well as getting rid of some of the default presets**. My install is always a two-step process as a result.

*Reaper has Ix plugins included, but there are newer versions in his ReaPack repo that I have installed.

**Stock presets for ReaEQ and ReaComp aren't useful to me, so I deleted them. During a Reaper update they're always readded unless I prevent it.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:33 AM   #5
FeedTheCat

Quote:
My install is always a two-step process as a result.
Hehe, well seems to me like that speaks in favor of an automated process rather than against it.

I'm actually doing something similar. I have some custom system icons for the Media explorer, that the reaper installer keeps resetting. I have a simple shell script that overwrites them back again.

I change line 709 in the Update Utility to this (which automatically calls my custom script after installing and before relaunching reaper):
Code:
cmd = "/bin/sh -c '" .. cmd .. "' ; sh ~/.scripts/reaper_setup.sh ; %s/reaper"
Anyway, just food for thought, didn't mean to totally derail the thread. I'll include some non-hacky way to add a post-install hook in the next update
Old 12-21-2020, 11:55 PM   #6
zoso2

What would be the reason to keep Reaper sandboxed?

You would need to over-ride the Flatpak permissions to give Reaper access to files on your system.

If it's about easily installing and keeping updated then the update script extension is about as easy as "apt-get update" anyways.
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:54 PM   #7
NarendraU

I think Reaper on Flatpak would be a good idea now. There's plenty of LADSPA, LV2, and VST plugin packaged as Flatpak. Also competitor such as Bitwig are one step ahead in providing Flatpak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso2 View Post

You would need to over-ride the Flatpak permissions to give Reaper access to files on your system.

If it's about easily installing and keeping updated then the update script extension is about as easy as "apt-get update" anyways.
It doesn't have to be system files. With Flatpak you could give it access to /home only or even specific folder such as Music, Documents, etc. Ardour Flatpak has /home access by default.
NarendraU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:15 PM   #8
Steven Jay Cohen

Default A well reasoned argument for Flatpak

This video explains flatpak and the state of universal apps on Linux very well.
https://youtu.be/zs9QpPKDw74

Basically, it would make REAPER more discoverable to Linux users.

Bitwig is available via Flathub. REAPER should be available alongside it.
https://flathub.org/apps/details/com...g.BitwigStudio

And, since Flathub Apps can appear in my built-in App Store on my distro, the discoverability increases exponentially.

So, no benefits to the code, but possibly a benefit to the size of the user base.

(The attached image shows Bitwig as searchable in the Gnome Software Store.)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2022-01-19 14-28-32.png (52.3 KB, 152 views)

AudioTechnica AT4047/SV • Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) • Debian Stable/Testing

Last edited by Steven Jay Cohen; 01-19-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Steven Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:31 AM   #9
CleoMenezesJr.

Hello everyone, I published the Reaper Flatpak version on Flathub: https://beta.flathub.org/apps/fm.reaper.Reaper

Here the manifest: https://github.com/flathub/fm.reaper.Reaper

I wish there was official support. I could help with this task.
CleoMenezesJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:08 PM   #10
krahosk

I don't know about Flathub or Flatpack
If you take Fedora for example, they set up their own package manager because Flathub is not strict enough about using runtimes correctly, including libraries which should be in runtimes, and configuring permissions correctly.

I never got to make Yabridge run with the Flatpack's version of Bitwig.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:44 PM   #11
mcoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleoMenezesJr. View Post
Hello everyone, I published the Reaper Flatpak version on Flathub...
Nice work! I'm not opposed to a Flatpak version and I wish you good luck.

I installed the Reaper/Flatpak and as others have mentioned, no yabridge support. Hard as I try, there are still a handful of WinVSTs I can't ween myself off. Do you see anyway around that issue?

One big problem I'm having with Reaper is rendering video. Reaper can't use the most recent ffmpeg (4.4.1) and I have to manually point it to an older version. Is a problem like this more readily fixed with Flatpak? For example, can a known working version of ffmpeg be baked into the flatpak?
Old 04-18-2023, 11:19 AM   #12
/AND/

Quote:
No, Flatpak supports proprietary software too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso2 View Post

Regarding paths, you can always add those through Flatseal (but the Reaper Flatpak publisher should enable some sane defaults from the onset, like for ex. regular .vst, .vst3, .clap folders, Reaper's own /.config/REAPER/ directory, etc.

I fully support Reaper as a Flatpak. Especially given that I'm working in an immutable distro (Silverblue), so now I have to containerise Reaper anyway with Distrobox / Toolbox. Works just fine, yabridge as well.

So, yes, a Flatpak version! Containers help keep system always clean and fresh.

Last edited by /AND/; 04-18-2023 at 11:26 AM.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 11:24 AM   #13
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post

I never got to make Yabridge run with the Flatpack's version of Bitwig.
I think the problem here is that Yabridge's developer is not making Yabridge available as a Flatpak dependency that one can install. Flatpaks are containers, and thus they have a hard time working with stuff outside the container. But if you install it as a dependency then other Flatpaks can see and use it.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:49 AM   #14
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
I think the problem here is that Yabridge's developer is not making Yabridge available as a Flatpak dependency that one can install. Flatpaks are containers, and thus they have a hard time working with stuff outside the container. But if you install it as a dependency then other Flatpaks can see and use it.
Not quite. It's because you'd also need to also need to utilize flatpak WINE: https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...ment-917511866. Even then, as Robbert states, there are problems to overcome in terms of differing flatpak runtime versions etc to make the entire DAW ecosystem work as intended. As I mentioned myself in another thread, flatpak + DAW isn't a great marriage and I don't think ever intended to be a "thing".

Last edited by chmaha; 04-18-2023 at 11:55 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 11:58 AM   #15
/AND/

Yeah, forgot about wine too. But I believe all these hiccups can and will be ironed out in time. Flatpak and other containers are the future IMO.

BTW I installed the Flatpak, works, registered my license. Also deleted Flatpak's CONFIG directory and made a symlink to the non-Flatpak's CONFIG instead (home/.config/REAPER). Works great.

The only thing remaining is that I tried loading some projects but Reaper crashes.

All in all, great development!!
Old 04-18-2023, 12:04 PM   #16
chmaha

Talking of easy install, here's a section of my ReaClassical portable install script I've just adapted. It doesn't get easier really.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# by chmaha (April 2023)

# Script to install REAPER on Linux
# Works for both x86_64 and aarch64 architectures
# Change the pkgver number below to download an alternative version of REAPER.

###########
pkgver=6.78
###########

echo "Welcome to REAPER installer..."
sleep 2
arch=`uname -m`

echo "Downloading REAPER $pkgver from reaper.fm..."
wget -q --show-progress --progress=bar:force https://reaper.fm/files/${pkgver::1}.x/reaper${pkgver//.}_linux_$arch.tar.xz
echo "Extracting files from REAPER archive to ReaClassical_$pkgver folder"
tar -xf reaper${pkgver//.}_linux_$arch.tar.xz
mv reaper_linux_$arch/ REAPER_$pkgver/
rm reaper${pkgver//.}_linux_$arch.tar.xz
cd REAPER_$pkgver
touch reaper.ini # This forces REAPER to create and use a local (portable) resource path
mv REAPER/* .
rmdir REAPER
echo "Done!"
read -p "Would you like to run REAPER now? (y/n)" yn
case $yn in
    [yY]) echo ok, starting REAPER...
            ./reaper;;
    *) echo exiting...;;
esac
Just make a .sh file yourself or grab it via:

Code:
wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/chmaha/5b8b70a9293ef8eb48736f3151f2ff4e/raw/0f0e8800cb924933aa5ac109230a7ed53ff0ef22/REAPER_install.sh
Run:

Code:
sh REAPER_install.sh
Installs to REAPER_678 folder wherever you run the script. It will also ask if you want to start REAPER. Unlike Flatpak it runs perfectly Complete removal of REAPER is as easy as deleting the folder. Change the "pkgver" line to install whichever version of REAPER you like.

Last edited by chmaha; 04-18-2023 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2023, 01:30 PM   #17
/AND/

Interestingly enough, there's already Wine for Flatpak... https://github.com/fastrizwaan/flatpak-wine

Now I have to figure out how to use it.
Old 04-18-2023, 02:01 PM   #18
mcoyle

Quote:
Interestingly enough, there's already Wine for Flatpak...
So would a flatpak of Reaper need to have wine, yaboot, and ffmpeg all rolled into it to be somewhat equivalent?

Such a flatpak would be impressive, but I'd feel for the poor maintainer.
Old 04-18-2023, 03:46 PM   #19
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoyle View Post
So would a flatpak of Reaper need to have wine, yaboot, and ffmpeg all rolled into it to be somewhat equivalent?

Such a flatpak would be impressive, but I'd feel for the poor maintainer.
No, I believe they can be added as optional Flatpak dependencies that you can choose to install. Another way can be for Reaper to access your Wine + yabridge installed outside Flatpak (like it is installed now).

Of course, a third way is to do away with bridged Windows plugins altogether and avoid a lot of headaches. It's what I am in the process of completing.
Old 04-18-2023, 03:55 PM   #20
mcoyle

Quote:

Of course, a third way is to do away with bridged Windows plugins altogether and avoid a lot of headaches. It's what I am in the process of completing.
That's the goal, but for new people coming to Linux, a Reaper flatpak, loaded with wine/yabridge, and ready to go, could help more to convert.

For me, the last holdout is noise reduction. I bought Bertom Pro, and it's good, but bridged Goyo is better. Booting into Windows for iZotope is better still.
Old 04-19-2023, 01:06 AM   #21
chmaha

Quote:
For me, the last holdout is noise reduction. I bought Bertom Pro, and it's good, but bridged Goyo is better. Booting into Windows for iZotope is better still.
Likewise. I've found Bertom Pro to be very good indeed but the spectral editing in RX is brilliant. Apparently RX4 used to work in Linux but since they moved to the "portal" installer, you have to use methods not utterable on these forums. That said, if you do actually own a license you might feel a little less bad about doing so.

It's a shame that Acon Digital Acoustica doesn't seem to run. The mastering and restoration plugins do perfectly but not the editor. Acon might be a better route for you if you only need the plugins. I bought the whole set and think they are top drawer. Who doesn't need "DeBird" functionality?

Last edited by chmaha; 04-19-2023 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:13 AM   #22
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmaha View Post
Likewise. I've found Bertom Pro to be very good indeed but the spectral editing in RX is brilliant. Apparently RX4 used to work in Linux but since they moved to the "portal" installer, you have to use methods not utterable on these forums. That said, if you do actually own a license you might feel a little less bad about doing so.

It's a shame that Acon Digital Acoustica doesn't seem to run. The mastering and restoration plugins do perfectly but not the editor. Acon might be a better route for you if you only need the plugins. I bought the whole set and think they are top drawer. Who doesn't need "DeBird" functionality?
If those can work as standalone, have you tried installing and running them through Bottles? I've found out that Bottles can run most of anything Windows-specific if I change a runner or some config. But make sure to pull the runners from inside Bottles first, of course.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:15 AM   #23
/AND/

Quote:
That's the goal, but for new people coming to Linux, a Reaper flatpak, loaded with wine/yabridge, and ready to go, could help more to convert.

Noise reduction real-time or not? For real-time I've noticed that Reaper's own plugin (ReaFIR) does a really good job. For non-real-time, using Ocenaudio worked pretty well -- better than IL's Edison, which was a surprise for me.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:31 AM   #24
chmaha

Quote:
If those can work as standalone, have you tried installing and running them through Bottles? I've found out that Bottles can run most of anything Windows-specific if I change a runner or some config. But make sure to pull the runners from inside Bottles first, of course.
I've never used Bottles just wine-tkg or regular wine-staging. I have had luck with almost all windows plugins via yabridge but a select few standalone applications like Acon Acoustica, EZ Audio CD Convertor etc just fail to run. I doubt bottles would make a difference in this situation as it will be some missing windows functionality.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:33 AM   #25
chmaha

Quote:
Noise reduction real-time or not? For real-time I've noticed that Reaper's own plugin (ReaFIR) does a really good job. For non-real-time, using Ocenaudio worked pretty well -- better than IL's Edison, which was a surprise for me.
AFAIK, ocenaudio has a spectral display but no spectral editing. That said, it's a good basic editor. It's a bit like when I use Pinta for a quick image manipulation instead of firing up GIMP.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:49 AM   #26
mcoyle

Quote:
For simple noise reduction in real-time, I use Bertom Pro. $25 well spent. I don't mean to denigrate it against RX because Bertom is a great piece of work. But for truly mangled location sound, I'll boot into Windows where I have a matching Reaper install, use iZotope, freeze the track, and boot back to Linux.

I hate Windows that much.
Old 04-22-2023, 01:30 PM   #27
CleoMenezesJr.

When I have time, I'll try to create a Yabridge extension for the Reaper flatpak. The real thing is that I would like the Yabridge maintainer to be able to maintain a flatpak version, that would be really cool, or even someone else who is willing to do that. Any help will be appreciated.
Having Reaper available on Flatpak is already a big step, now we need to take another step.
CleoMenezesJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 05:00 AM   #28
axel_ef

What do you expect from a flatpak? There will only be more problems.
You can put the extracted Reaper folder anywhere you want and it works. What more do you want?
axel_ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 06:47 AM   #29
mcoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_ef View Post
You can put the extracted Reaper folder anywhere you want and it works. What more do you want?
Often, it's hard for those of us who have been on Linux a long time to remember what it's like to be a noob.

Opening a terminal, running a script, adding your root password can be intimidating vs going to flatpak.org and clicking around.

And even an old grouchy Linux user like myself has some flatpaks installed (though I consider each one a defeat!).

The usual Reaper install script will always be there, but for noobs or those with problematic library issues, a flatpak doesn't hurt.

Besides, there are flatpaks for Ardour, Rosegarden, Audacity and Bitwig. Reaper should be listed there too.

And all this (so far) has required no work on the part of Cockos (thanks CleoMenezesJr).

Over 1000 people have downloaded the flatpak in just the past month! That's a lot of exposure that may not have happened otherwise. That's gotta be a Good Thing.
Old 04-23-2023, 08:29 AM   #30
/AND/

Quote:
Flatpak can potentially solve so many more problems than it brings, that I don't understand how it wasn't devised 10 years earlier. Yes, there are some issues right now, but they will be ironed out in time.

I don't understand the irritation and resistance against a containerising approach that makes dependency hell, trying to hunt for a maintainer of a package for your architecture, and installing a bunch of crap everywhere inside your system things of the past, all while keeping everything within one place and with improved security and privacy.

It's not 99 anymore, we can have nice, neat and tidy things in Linux too.
Old 04-23-2023, 08:47 AM   #31
axel_ef

This is about Reaper and Linux, not about any other programs.
Which Reaper problem should a flatpak solve?

Quote:
... while keeping everything within one place ...
That's exactly what Reaper for Linux has, all in one folder.
Old 04-23-2023, 11:56 AM   #32
chmaha

Quote:
+1. It doesn't get easier than REAPER when it comes to contained installs. As explained previously, in many ways Flatpak etc makes things way more difficult if you want various applications/plugins to play nicely together. And, in 2023, I have a very tidy Arch Linux system without a single Flatpak or snap package installed.

@/AND/ I'm not sure what security and privacy issues you are referring to either (given we have sudo, defaulting to environment path binaries etc). But, the whole point of the various package managers (whatever the distro) is that all the dependency stuff is taken care of so again, not sure what the issue there is either.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:18 PM   #33
mike@overtonedsp

Quote:

I imagine it goes something like "We have too many incompatible package formats, what we need is a standard..." result, we now have one more incompatible package format

(FWIW - and I'm not sure I should admit this but - I tried to install another DAW application via Flatpak recently, and had to resort to command line incantations, after it all went horribly wrong - proving that its always possible to mess up a software install, or at least, it is for me anyway )
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 04:25 PM   #34
/AND/

Quote:

That's not correct, it opens a REAPER directory in ~HOME/.config/, and a .desktop file in ~HOME/.local/applications/. And Reaper is one of the better out there, I've had .debs putting crap all over /etc /lib /home etc. which cannot happen with Flatpak, everything is clean and containerised.

Quote:
As explained previously, in many ways Flatpak etc makes things way more difficult if you want various applications/plugins to play nicely together.
Yes, right now. In a few years Flatpaks will work better than the package formats of the 90s, I can guarantee you that. Even now Flatpaks are better for almost everything else except audio.

Quote:
@/AND/ I'm not sure what security and privacy issues you are referring to either (given we have sudo, defaulting to environment path binaries etc). But, the whole point of the various package managers (whatever the distro) is that all the dependency stuff is taken care of so again, not sure what the issue there is either.
The point of a container is to disallow spill over. If I so choose (with Flatseal), no Flatpak I have installed can access anything I have on my system. This you simply cannot do with regular packages (except, maybe, by spending tens or hundreds of hours to become an expert in SELinux).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@overtonedsp View Post
I imagine it goes something like "We have too many incompatible package formats, what we need is a standard..." result, we now have one more incompatible package format
For now Flatpak seems to be winning the packaging competition, and will probably become the dominant one in a few years (except if something else even better comes out).

===

Besides, I don't understand the resistance in having Reaper or anything else being additionally packaged for Flatpak. You have yours, let me have mine.

It's the same thing I've met in the past when a program or a VST would only have a .deb, so I had to do magic to make it work on Manjaro or Fedora. Why? Why don't I just go to Flathub and install it without worrying about .debs, paths, locales, etc. all while you have the package for yourself also? What does it take away from you so that you have to resist this? I didn't say not package it 'regularly' anymore, I said I am up to add a Flatpak version as well. This is an unreasonable resistance I met on many forums.
Old 04-23-2023, 04:59 PM   #35
chmaha

Quote:
That's not correct, it opens a REAPER directory in ~HOME/.config/, and a .desktop file in ~HOME/.local/applications/. And Reaper is one of the better out there, I've had .debs putting crap all over /etc /lib /home etc. which cannot happen with Flatpak, everything is clean and containerised.
No. You can download REAPER for Linux, touch a reaper.ini file in the main folder and it will be completely contained as a portable install. I've demonstrated that with both ReaClassical and my modded vanilla REAPER install script I shared earlier.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:40 AM   #36
axel_ef

flatpak apps also store data in other folders (~/.var/app) and often also a launcher in ~/.local/share/applications/
Old 04-24-2023, 06:18 AM   #37
audiojunkie

The biggest thing holding back Flatpak is that in order for it to work for audio, there needs to be industry buy-in. In other words, all plugins and DAWs that a person uses needs to be available as a Flatpak. Flatpak apps can work well together. It is difficult to mix Flatpak and non-Flatpak plugins and DAWs. Bitwig and open source plugins that have been packaged as Flatpaks tend to work well together. Everything else doesn’t. Until the whole industry goes “all in”, Flatpak is not going to be an ideal solution.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:41 AM   #38
krahosk

So what do we need to do for Yabridge to work with the Flatpak version of Reaper or Bitwig? Is there a tutorial we can find?
Old 04-24-2023, 06:46 AM   #39
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
So what do we need to do for Yabridge to work with the Flatpak version of Reaper or Bitwig? Is there a tutorial we can find?
Please read the earlier post in this thread https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=14 and the link to the yabridge issue. There are plenty of reasons to not use flatpak.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:30 AM   #40
krahosk

Quote:
Please read the earlier post in this thread https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=14 and the link to the yabridge issue. There are plenty of reasons to not use flatpak.
Thank you. There is no working solution at the moment, I understand.