Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 02-23-2023, 07:32 AM   #521
robbert-vdh
Human being with feelings

Default [ANN] yabridge 5.0.4, with a hotfix for plugin groups

Someone notified me of an issue with plugin groups the other day. If you have more than one plugin instance in a plugin group, removing any of those instances will cause the plugin/host to hang. Oops. This is a regression from yabridge 4.0.0. With this update plugin groups should no longer cause hangs on instance removal or DAW shutdown. There are no other user visible changes in this release.

The changelog can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...ases/tag/5.0.4
robbert-vdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:16 AM   #522
fabio77

Thank you Robbert!
fabio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:38 AM   #523
krahosk

Many, many thanks Robbert-vdh. I had spent many days troubleshooting the Kontakt long loading time problem when I realized that your Yabridge webpage at Github is SO well maintained.
I've found my answer there. Thank you again for bring this amazing software that is Yabridge.

Last edited by krahosk; 03-01-2023 at 06:23 PM.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 05:33 AM   #524
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Many, many thanks Robbert-vdh. I had spent many days troubleshooting the Kontakt long loading time problem when I realized that tour Yabridge webpage at Github is SO well maintained.
I've found my answer there. Thank you again for bring this amazing software that is Yabridge.
The long VST3 Kontakt loading thing specifically is a combination of some buggy behavior in Kontakt causing it to trigger a full parameter info rescan for every parameter name changed instead of once for all of those changes (which can be hundreds depending on the preset), and REAPER immediately doing the full rescan when asked (some other hosts throttle this to work around the issue). The 'buggy plugin compatibility mode' option should help, but I have no idea if enabling that has any drawbacks.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:27 AM   #525
FeedTheCat

Hi Robbert,

could we please have a toml option to disable input focus for specific plugins?

My biggest gripe with yabridged plugins is that you can't press space to play/stop when the mouse is hovering over the window.

In a lot plugins (like Valhalla) I'd prefer having no keyboard input at all (if that makes space work for play/pause).
Old 02-27-2023, 08:29 AM   #526
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Hi Robbert,

could we please have a toml option to disable input focus for specific plugins?

My biggest gripe with yabridged plugins is that you can't press space to play/stop when the mouse is hovering over the window.

In a lot plugins (like Valhalla) I'd prefer having no keyboard input at all (if that makes space work for play/pause).
With the current setup REAPER would be able to do just that since yabridge focuses REAPER's parent window. Right now it just doesn't seem to support what you're suggesting. Bitwig for instance listens for the space key and a couple other things on the parent window and they forward all other events to the child window. That's why if you need to enter a space character in a plugin in Bitwig you need to hold down shift while entering the window. Then yabridge focusses the child window instead of the parent window, bypassing the DAW.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:10 AM   #527
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbert-vdh View Post
With the current setup REAPER would be able to do just that since yabridge focuses REAPER's parent window. Right now it just doesn't seem to support what you're suggesting. Bitwig for instance listens for the space key and a couple other things on the parent window and they forward all other events to the child window. That's why if you need to enter a space character in a plugin in Bitwig you need to hold down shift while entering the window. Then yabridge focusses the child window instead of the parent window, bypassing the DAW.
Hmm, isn't yabridge doing something to grab input focus on mouse hover? Would be nice to have a toml option to disable this completely for specific plugins. Or is that REAPERs doing and you have no control over it?

I'm not sure what you mean that REAPER doesn't support it. How do native Linux plugins not have this issue?

Edit: Nvm, they do, but not on mouse hover apparently.

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 02-27-2023 at 09:18 AM.
FeedTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:26 AM   #528
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Hmm, isn't yabridge doing something to grab input focus on mouse hover? Would be nice to have a toml option to disable this completely for specific plugins. Or is that REAPERs doing and you have no control over it?

I'm not sure what you mean that REAPER doesn't support it. How do native Linux plugins not have this issue?

Edit: Nvm, they do, but not on mouse hover apparently.
It sets input focus to the host's own parent window. There is no real alternative since the Windows plugin can't grab input focus on its own when embedded this way. So if the host wants they can listen for keyboard events on their parent window and do something with them. Bitwig does that, REAPER does not.

I could add a yabridge.toml option that completely disables all keybaord input for plugins, but you can imagine how quickly that could become annoying.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:38 AM   #529
FeedTheCat

Quote:
It sets input focus to the host's own parent window. There is no real alternative since the Windows plugin can't grab input focus on its own when embedded this way. So if the host wants they can listen for keyboard events on their parent window and do something with them. Bitwig does that, REAPER does not.
I'll investigate this a bit more, maybe it's just a Linux bug.

Quote:
I could add a yabridge.toml option that completely disables all keybaord input for plugins, but you can imagine how quickly that could become annoying.
Would it? Not sure. For plugins like Valhalla I'd much prefer it to the current behavior (Don't ever really type in them, but I use them a ton). Please consider it, if it isn't too much trouble.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:59 AM   #530
FeedTheCat

Something interesting I noticed.

Pianoteq grabs input focus when you click inside it, but when you click the window header REAPER regains input focus.

Diva doesn't immediately grab input focus, but once it does it never releases it. (Clicking on the window header does nothing).

So I guess there's also some vst specific things going on...
Old 02-27-2023, 10:21 AM   #531
FeedTheCat

Filed a bug report. Hopefully Justin looks into it.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:46 AM   #532
David Else

5.0.4 is running great on a RHEL 9 clone called AlmaLinux with the officially supplied EPEL Wine 8.0 (wine-8.0-1.el9.src.rpm). Thanks!!
Old 05-07-2023, 04:00 AM   #533
robbert-vdh

Default [ANN] yabridge 5.0.5, with more incremental fixes and improvements

It's been a couple months since the last release. I've been wanting to work on some more exciting features but I haven't had the time, and since these other changes have been sitting idly on the master branch for a while now I thought it would probably be a good idea to just release this first.

The changes and fixes in this release include a workaround for a VST3 Kontakt bug that could result in extremely slow project loading in REAPER, a change that prevents flickering when dragging plugin windows around in some window managers, a preemptive change to avoid things from blowing up once Wine natively supports Wayland, and fixes that would cause some very specific CLAP plugins to lock up when loading multiple instances.

The full changelog with all fixes and changes can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...ases/tag/5.0.5
Old 05-07-2023, 07:33 AM   #534
fabio77

Thank you very much.
fabio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:24 PM   #535
wastee

Looking forware wine support wayland offically. And REAPER also support wayland at that time..
wastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 11:40 AM   #536
robbert-vdh

Even if REAPER would get native Wayland support it would still need to use X11 for the FX windows unless you don't want plugin GUIs, which kind of defeats the purpose. There's no way to embed plugin GUIs with Wayland at the moment.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:26 AM   #537
krahosk

Thank you Robbert for the updates. The Wayland preventive support is a great touch of care. Can you provide us some hints concerning the exciting Yabridge features you're working on?

Last edited by krahosk; 05-12-2023 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 04:20 PM   #538
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Thank you Robbert for the updates. The Wayland preventive support is a great touch of care. Can you provide us some hints concerning the exciting Yabridge features you're working on?
Well they're actually not that exciting, but there were a couple things I wanted to add at some point that I just haven't had the time to work on. Things like finally introducing per-prefix config files for overriding the wine loader for that prefix, and then scraping Lutris and Bottles configs in yabridgectl sync to set those config files up automatically. And at some point I'll look at ARA, but unless Bitwig adds support for that anytime soon that's still pretty far down on my todo list.
Old 05-15-2023, 02:37 PM   #539
krahosk

That's a big move for Yabridge being independent of Lutris and Bottles. ARA would be very cool though I understand that Reaper is the only DAW that supports it on Linux.
Old 05-15-2023, 05:41 PM   #540
subsound

Just sharing my thanks to those involved! Many kudos to the yabridge team, especially Robbert!

And any mention of ARA support is very cool. If that ever happens, it could be quite a game changer. I wonder how much work is required due to licensing system issues too... for example, if I recall, Synchro Arts uses iLok, SpectraLayers now uses the *new* Steinberg licensing system, and Celemony/Melodyne uses iLok, right? So those are three big and useful ARA tools, but do iLok and Steinberg licensing systems work well on Yabridge? Just wondering. It would be wonderful though, but it seems non-trivial to make it all work seamlessly. Let me know what I'm missing though about feasibility.
subsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 09:01 AM   #541
robbert-vdh

Default [ANN] yabridge 5.1.0, a long-awaited maintenance release

I've been meaning to get this release out for months now, but I never ended up getting around to it. This release is mostly a collection of small but important bug fixes that have been sitting in the pipeline for a while. Most notably, this fixes VST2 bridging compatibility with the latest Renoise version and a VST3 compatibility issue with Ardour 7.3 through 8.1, once Ardour 8.2 gets released.

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...ases/tag/5.1.0
Old 12-23-2023, 01:36 PM   #542
goto

Quote:
I've been meaning to get this release out for months now, but I never ended up getting around to it. This release is mostly a collection of small but important bug fixes that have been sitting in the pipeline for a while. Most notably, this fixes VST2 bridging compatibility with the latest Renoise version and a VST3 compatibility issue with Ardour 7.3 through 8.1, once Ardour 8.2 gets released.

Thank you Robbert for maintaining Yabridge!
goto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 05:30 PM   #543
mcoyle

Quote:
I've been meaning to get this release out for months now...
Well look at you, Mr. Santa Claus!

As others have said, thanks for all your hard work on this.
Old 12-24-2023, 04:12 AM   #544
/AND/

Quote:

Thanks Robert, your work on yabridge is very appreciated!
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 07:45 AM   #545
SmajjL

I have not have so much issues to complain about and was thinking you were doing the no-news-is-good-news thingie great to see you are still! around maintaining this baby! tack så mycket!

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 10:29 PM   #546
reapercurious

just wondering, are there any community TOML packs that more or less aggregate all known problems with popular plugins? it's been a while since I edited toml files for yabridge but I'm thinking there should or could be a rolling released catch-all toml file that users can submit settings to that work for most if not all linux-wine use cases.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote