Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 01-23-2022, 06:19 PM   #1
krahosk
Human being with feelings

Default Guitar Rig equivalent on Linux

Hi everyone!
Is there something like Amplitube, Positive Grid or Guitar Rig on Linux?
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:42 PM   #2
Mcgiver69

Best one in my opinion is Tone-Lib GFx, there's an old version for free. They are now paid and they can go for $35 on offer.

Here's the last free version they had:
https://plugins4free.com/plugin/3003/
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:33 AM   #3
dave_t

+1 for Tonelib GFX. I use it all the time in Windows to jam online with our band using Jamulus. Great price, lots of options, MIDI control for footswitches, expression/wah pedals, etc. Sounds great to me.

I have Linux on a separate laptop, only to use Jamulus - less latency under Ubuntu Studio than under Windows.

I've dabbled with using Reaper and ToneLib on the Linux laptop, but haven't made the plunge to dedicating the Linux laptop to all my audio software. Mostly because my Linux experience tends to go along the following lines for EVERY step of EVERY change or improvement: 1) find simple package to install 2) do an internet search on how to install 3) get a bunch of inconsistent answers 4) realize each answer requires another package to install 5) see #1 6) repeat. Kidding/Not kidding

$0.02
dave_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:02 AM   #4
krahosk

Thank Dave and Mcgiver for the recommendation! I sure will be testing Tonelib.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_t View Post
but haven't made the plunge to dedicating the Linux laptop to all my audio software. Mostly because my Linux experience tends to go along the following lines for EVERY step of EVERY change or improvement: 1) find simple package to install 2) do an internet search on how to install 3) get a bunch of inconsistent answers 4) realize each answer requires another package to install 5) see #1 6) repeat. Kidding/Not kidding

$0.02
I'm on Manjaro (Arch-based). Since the Add/Remove software and Octopi have repositories of almost all available packages, steps 1 to 6 are not necessary.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:57 AM   #5
martblek

All my guitar rig is from Audio Assault.
Very linux friendly
Check prices they changing every day

https://audioassault.mx/
martblek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:38 AM   #6
XoechZ

Quote:
I've dabbled with using Reaper and ToneLib on the Linux laptop, but haven't made the plunge to dedicating the Linux laptop to all my audio software. Mostly because my Linux experience tends to go along the following lines for EVERY step of EVERY change or improvement: 1) find simple package to install 2) do an internet search on how to install 3) get a bunch of inconsistent answers 4) realize each answer requires another package to install 5) see #1 6) repeat. Kidding/Not kidding
I think that`s a problem with Linux, or open source in general.

1. Everyone can grab some code, do his own stuff with it and release it. Often with weird dependencies or structures.
And if it does not work for you, well.. bad luck, no one cares. All you can do is find a way to get it working. Or grab the code and do your own thing with it :-)

2. Linux is a mess. Hundreds of distributions, all with their own structures, packet managers, kernels, repos,... Which developer can cover that all?

My experience with Linux so far is, that you often spend more time to get things to work, than actually doing productive work.
XoechZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:01 PM   #7
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoechZ View Post
I think that`s a problem with Linux, or open source in general.

1. Everyone can grab some code, do his own stuff with it and release it. Often with weird dependencies or structures.
And if it does not work for you, well.. bad luck, no one cares. All you can do is find a way to get it working. Or grab the code and do your own thing with it :-)

2. Linux is a mess. Hundreds of distributions, all with their own structures, packet managers, kernels, repos,... Which developer can cover that all?

My experience with Linux so far is, that you often spend more time to get things to work, than actually doing productive work.
I think you be on the wrong forum to bash Linux. The proprietary OSs do not let you do anything as far customizing programs. For you, maybe you should stick to a one that is turn key proprietary - with the hood welded shut. I have never had a problem with Linux... you follow simple steps - know basic theory and you are captain of your ship!

I have had many more lock ups and crashes and down right frustrating situations with the 'other' OSs. Linux (if you know a touch about what you are doing) is much more rack solid and stable) I even have my old PCs with Ardour etc. And they will fire up flawlessly. To each their own..

I really don't think you are evaluating correctly. My experience is - I have never had a 'crash' and I spend much more time doing my work - it is the other way around.

You can not randomly take programs from situation/os and THINK that it will work... If you have trouble understanding why you have problems; people here can help. I would not suggest i3 for you... but a simple stable workhorse like mint. (downloading every new semi NEW alpha programs when they come along is not the way to go for most people) best of luck!
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:09 PM   #8
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
Best one in my opinion is Tone-Lib GFx, there's an old version for free. They are now paid and they can go for $35 on offer.

Unfortunately seemingly not available for RasPi

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:54 PM   #9
XoechZ

Quote:
I think you be on the wrong forum to bash Linux. The proprietary OSs do not let you do anything as far customizing programs. For you, maybe you should stick to a one that is turn key proprietary - with the hood welded shut. I have never had a problem with Linux... you follow simple steps - know basic theory and you are captain of your ship!

I have had many more lock ups and crashes and down right frustrating situations with the 'other' OSs. Linux (if you know a touch about what you are doing) is much more rack solid and stable) I even have my old PCs with Ardour etc. And they will fire up flawlessly. To each their own..

I really don't think you are evaluating correctly. My experience is - I have never had a 'crash' and I spend much more time doing my work - it is the other way around.

You can not randomly take programs from situation/os and THINK that it will work... If you have trouble understanding why you have problems; people here can help. I would not suggest i3 for you... but a simple stable workhorse like mint. (downloading every new semi NEW alpha programs when they come along is not the way to go for most people) best of luck!
I am sorry! I did not want to bash Linux in any way. I am Linux only for more than two years now. And I will not go away from it.
To tell you the truth: I am using Arch Linux, and yes, I use the I3 window manager and I love it! I have set up all my config files from scratch and have built the system that I want and need.
I just wanted to share my experiences, especially when it comes to Reaper and plugins. I never had so many quirks and issues to get plugins work on Linux/Reaper than ever. Most of them are GUI related. I tried amsynth - no GUI, eq10q - no GUI, calf plugins -no GUI and other issues, guitarix - issues and no GUI on some plugins, and so on. These plugins are all in the official Arch repos.

What I wanted to say is, and I really think so: Linux is great, I will stick with it forever, but on the other side, because of the way Linux is built, it gives you quirks and issues and forces you to hack and look for workarounds, which is simply not needed in other OS`s. And you cannot deny that :-)

Sorry again, if my other post came out as a bash, it was not. I hope I made my point clear now.
XoechZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:27 PM   #10
swindus

What about Guitarix? http://guitarix.org/
swindus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:32 PM   #11
sub26nico

Guitar FXs built for Rasperry Pi :
https://blokas.io/modep/
There is also a soundcard from the same developpers/manufacturers :
https://blokas.io/pisound/
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:16 AM   #12
ToeJam76

I would also like to point to Guitarix. Lots of useful modules, good sound and free. GR6 works on WINE too btw.
ToeJam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:27 AM   #13
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by martblek View Post
All my guitar rig is from Audio Assault.
Very linux friendly
Check prices they changing every day

https://audioassault.mx/
Audio Damage plugins are quite appealing, I may own one of them today. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2022, 07:30 AM   #14
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindus View Post
Fantastic! Incredible how many resources there are for Linux.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:11 AM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Fantastic! Incredible how many resources there are for Linux.
Besides the cool stand alone part of Guitarix, the LV2 plugins are pretty slick too. I like to use the "Redeye Vibro Chump" plugin (a vintage Fender Vibro Champ simulation) on guitar that was already recorded through a real amp so I can tone shape it some more after the fact.

I have Guitarix stand alone setup so the hotkey combo <Super><A> fires up JACK and Guitarix for just jamming through with a guitar or bass.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:34 AM   #16
royleith

Default Guitar Rig 5 & 6 in Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Hi everyone!
Is there something like Amplitube, Positive Grid or Guitar Rig on Linux?
I have Native Instruments, Guitar Rig 5&6 installed in wine (from winehq - V 7.x) although I am still playing with the rest of Native Instruments Komplete atm and have not tried them out.

I use yabridge to load them into Reaper.

***EDIT***

I have found that Guitar Rig 5 does not work as either a plugin or standalone. Guitar Rig 6 works as both plugin and standalone, but I have not managed to get audio working in the standalone apps either in Pulse Audio or jack.

I have tried several presets with a slow jazz ballad played via a Kontakt guitar (not the most appropriate source!) and the presets appear fine.

Last edited by royleith; 02-21-2022 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Further testing showed problems with NI Guitar Rig5
royleith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:49 PM   #17
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoechZ View Post
I am sorry! I did not want to bash Linux in any way. I am Linux only for more than two years now. And I will not go away from it.
To tell you the truth: I am using Arch Linux, and yes, I use the I3 window manager and I love it! I have set up all my config files from scratch and have built the system that I want and need.
I just wanted to share my experiences, especially when it comes to Reaper and plugins. I never had so many quirks and issues to get plugins work on Linux/Reaper than ever. Most of them are GUI related. I tried amsynth - no GUI, eq10q - no GUI, calf plugins -no GUI and other issues, guitarix - issues and no GUI on some plugins, and so on. These plugins are all in the official Arch repos.

What I wanted to say is, and I really think so: Linux is great, I will stick with it forever, but on the other side, because of the way Linux is built, it gives you quirks and issues and forces you to hack and look for workarounds, which is simply not needed in other OS`s. And you cannot deny that :-)

Sorry again, if my other post came out as a bash, it was not. I hope I made my point clear now.
Most of the problems that you are mentioning are LV2 GTK2 issues. It is not good practice to code plugins with GTK, but that was done a lot in earlier days. Reaper’s LV2 wrapper capabilities don’t handle it. If you want these plugins to work, you need to get the plugin developers to change their plugin code to be more compatible, or try using Ardour. Ardour has worked around the issue, and most of these plugins will work properly in Ardour. Otherwise, you just don’t use those plugins.

I use a Lenovo laptop with a high resolution 4k screen. Most Linux apps are too tiny—they don’t support scaling. I’m putting my own list together of “Modern” plugins that don’t have these GUI issues, and that scale properly. So far, the list is quite limited. There’s something like 70,000 open source packages available out there. Unfortunately, only a small handful of these apps currently support modern libraries-many repos contain software that is 10+ years old. Only the newest plugins coming out use what are now considered best practices for avoiding these issues. It’s not much better in the Windows world. The vast majority of the 18,000+ audio plugins, hosts and tools will give you GUI issues on 4k screens.

So, in short, it is what it is. I’d be happy to share my list of what apps I’ve got so far that have GUIs that show up properly in Reaper. My list will be more picky though, because I leave a lot of perfectly good plugins off the list because they don’t yet scale up to be usable in 4k screens.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:54 AM   #18
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by royleith View Post
I have Native Instruments, Guitar Rig 5&6 installed in wine (from winehq - V 7.x) although I am still playing with the rest of Native Instruments Komplete atm and have not tried them out.

I use yabridge to load them into Reaper.
How did you activate Guitar Rig 5?

::
Old 02-21-2022, 01:27 AM   #19
royleith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
How did you activate Guitar Rig 5?

::
I installed using Native Access which ended in a fail, but left the install iso in the Download folder.

I then ran,

sudo mount -t udf Guitar_Rig_5.iso -o unhide /mnt/iso1

Which mounted the iso in /mnt/iso1 (which I had created for all the other installs) and allowed the PC install .exe to be run in wine.

Guitar Rig 5 then shows as 'Full Product' on restarting Native Access, but the VST does not appear in 64bit Plugins and the standalone crashes as noted in the edit of my original post.
royleith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 06:25 AM   #20
777funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post

This is awesome! I have Line 6's TonePort and the GearBox Plugin and the amps on this sound as good or better and definitely better with the IRs. I tended to turn of the cabs and load IRs with the Line 6. I'm pretty sure it sounded as good as the latest Helix amps that way. No doubt this is in the same camp. Very glad to have found this!

Add Valhala or another good reverb and delay and ToneLib is pretty much all I could ask for. Really the reverbs and delays built in to ToneLib are amazing! But Valhalla has that huge washy reverb that I haven't found to be super common still. Somehow they get 10+ seconds of reverb to sound so smooth.
777funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 06:59 AM   #21
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
... or try using Ardour. Ardour has worked around the issue, and most of these plugins will work properly in Ardour. Otherwise, you just don’t use those plugins.
How? And can that be implemented in Reaper as well?
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 01:16 PM   #22
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
How? And can that be implemented in Reaper as well?
The "how" is by including the GTK2 libraries. Reaper's LV2 support doesn't use them. In all actuality, GTK is a poor choice of libraries for plugins, and should probably never have been used in those early plugins. There is no reason for Reaper to support GTK2 when we are already up to GTK4. What needs to happen, is that the developers of those old plugins need to port their plugin GUIs to libraries that are appropriate and up to date. As I understand it, "some" of these plugin developers are doing this. I know that the developer for AMSynth is right now. The problem is that there it is a tremendous amount of work to get done, and some developers have abandoned their plugins rather than face the job of porting them to new libraries. So, since Ardour still supports those libraries, if you must use some of these old plugins, use them with Ardour. Otherwise, I recommend doing what I've done, and considering them depreciated, and look for modern replacements. I don't believe there is much that can't be replaced with something newer.

EDIT: As an additional thought, if I'm not mistaken, I believe Carla can support the old GUIs if you want to use Carla as a wrapper between Reaper and your plugin. Also, another option is that you can choose to use the default Reaper GUI. The apps would look like most Airwindows apps, but they should still work.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 11:04 PM   #23
mschnell

Did anybody try and compare the Tukan Guitar Rig ?
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:05 AM   #24
fruen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OocI-UFIf04
fruen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 01:32 AM   #25
bulevardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Did anybody try and compare the Tukan Guitar Rig ?
Haven't tried this, yet. The video and sound looks promising!

Will surely test it if I find some more time soon
Seems bit similar looking to the Vandal Amp from Magix (Samplitude), but that's around € 180.

Is this a free version?
Old 05-10-2023, 09:02 AM   #26
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
The "how" is by including the GTK2 libraries.

Otherwise, I recommend doing what I've done, and considering them depreciated, and look for modern replacements. I don't believe there is much that can't be replaced with something newer.

EDIT: As an additional thought, if I'm not mistaken, I believe Carla can support the old GUIs if you want to use Carla as a wrapper between Reaper and your plugin. Also, another option is that you can choose to use the default Reaper GUI. The apps would look like most Airwindows apps, but they should still work.
I see. Yes, makes sense, although I agree with you here: replace old and cranky software with newer alternatives. I hope CLAP with actually prove itself a good and self-contained framework for plugin developers, making them avoid using external libraries altogether -- and thus truly making their plugins both platform- and time-independent.

Regarding Carla, unfortunately, there's no love between Carla and Fedora (especially Silverblue) :/
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:37 PM   #27
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
Haven't tried this, yet. The video and sound looks promising!

Will surely test it if I find some more time soon
Seems bit similar looking to the Vandal Amp from Magix (Samplitude), but that's around € 180.

Is this a free version?
Tukan plugins are all free and Tukan Guitar Rig is very promising.

Another one is Guitar ML but those are just profiles.
Old 05-10-2023, 03:19 PM   #28
Tukan_Studios

You can hear some of the presets from Tukan Guitar Station here:
https://youtu.be/BU9jqjr6xVc?t=461
Tukan_Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 04:54 PM   #29
Mcgiver69

Thank you John (Tukan Studios) for all your great work