Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 04-28-2023, 10:13 AM   #1
subsound
Human being with feelings

Default An unrelated but still kind of related big step toward Linux in my studio

Unrelated to Reaper specifically, but still kind of related...

So today I finally got around to installing DaVinci Resolve on Linux. I've been looking forward to testing it on Linux for a long time, but never got around to it. Previously, I ran the Studio version of it on Windows, and IMO it's an excellent video editor. I use it often.

I wanted to try it on Linux Mint or Pop OS, and from what I could deduce from various videos and walk-throughs, the best way to install it on a Debian-based distro is to use Daniel Tufvesson's script "MakeResolveDeb", which builds a *.deb package from the Blackmagic installer - https://www.danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb - so you don't have to use CentOS, etc...

After tinkering with it and tracking down a missing dependency on a fresh Linux Mint installation (which involved some minor digging), I was up and running with DaVinci Resolve Studio 18 with very little drama. I should have taken notes exactly what I did, but it wasn't hard at all, I will be able to recreate the steps next time I have to install on Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Pop OS, etc.

And it works great from what I can tell. I loaded up dozens of clips of different codecs and cut together a quick video with color correction. No issues.

For me this was kind of a big deal today since I recently started using Reaper on Linux too. I want to use Linux more, and to get both Reaper and now Resolve up and running so well on Linux is kind of a game changer for me. I've used Reaper and Resolve for years on Windows, and to see them working great on Linux opens a new door for me.

Could I actually convert my studio to Linux? Including video production? Well, after today and my previous Reaper tests, hot damn, I think the answer is yes.
subsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:50 AM   #2
audiojunkie

Very cool! I'm glad to hear milestones like this!
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 11:00 AM   #3
subsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
Very cool! I'm glad to hear milestones like this!
Thanks audiojunkie! That's the word I was looking for. Between Reaper on Linux and now Resolve too, it really does feel like a milestone.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:57 AM   #4
fabio77

I purchased the studio version of Davinci this month too, after I had success in installing the free version on my fedora sytem. It's really great.

I have to say that, after installing the studio version and be able to work with more codecs, it didn't work as smooth than before. Because in the free version I had to decompress all video pieces before loading it into the program. The downside was, that a 100 MB file became 2-5 GB of size. The benefit is, that even on my old i5-6600 with a passive cooled Nvidia 1050 Ti, the workflow in Davinci was so smooth, it looked like in the review videos of an apple M1/M2

With compressed files and codecs it looks a bit different. But anyway, it works on linux, that's awesome. And I don't think that my PC would perform better on windows either.
fabio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:46 AM   #5
subsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio77 View Post
...even on my old i5-6600 with a passive cooled Nvidia 1050 Ti...
It's amazing that it works as well as it does on that hardware! Wow! Passively cooled no less! But yeah, some codecs will bog it down. Resolve is no lightweight app. I'm a fan of getting the most out of older hardware, but I can't match an i5-6600 for DAW and video work! It's cool that it's still doing well for media production.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:02 AM   #6
fabio77

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I can't match an i5-6600 for DAW and video work! It's cool that it's still doing well for media production.
My computer will not be the one the software mainly will be used, but rather on my wife's pc. She does more video editing. For my music the hardware still is good enough. But yes, at least with decompressed files, even this old hardware could be used for small video productions.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:10 AM   #7
subsound

Very cool. No need to replace it if it's still doing the job! I tend to reuse older machines too, give them to family, turn them into file servers, etc. The 6th and 7th gen CPUs keep on ticking!
Old 05-10-2023, 10:39 AM   #8
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio77 View Post
I purchased the studio version of Davinci this month too, after I had success in installing the free version on my fedora sytem. It's really great. ...
Does it actively use your GPU without any problems? You should see some improvements in this respect if it does, but I don't know if it is the case on Linux.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:08 PM   #9
subsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
Does it actively use your GPU without any problems? You should see some improvements in this respect if it does, but I don't know if it is the case on Linux.
In my case, it works great with the GPU, no problem. On my test machine, I'm using an nVidia 20-something series graphics card (I have to check exact model).
Old 05-10-2023, 02:33 PM   #10
fabio77

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
I can not really answer your question. I don't have compared the render time. I just looked if I can load mp4 and other formats in studio. But look what @subsound did say to it.

Funny story, few days after the posting here I upgraded my fedora from 37 to 38, and davinci didn't start no more, because of a newer libglib version than davinci search for. But yesterday I finally got the workaround done, and davinci runs again.