Old 05-05-2023, 12:08 PM   #1
reujonik
Human being with feelings

Default Rme Multiface not loading

Hi, been watching this forum for a while. Now trying to move onto linux from windows. Have installed avlinux and alsa-utils alsa-firmware-loaders but cannot get rid of the red light on my multiface 1. Seems the card is not recognised by the system. As a check , all works in windows. I guess i need to get the system to load the firmware, but I'm a complete noob and really need someone to explain to me like I am 5yrs old. Could do with a hand.....
reujonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:14 PM   #2
future-bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by reujonik View Post
Hi, been watching this forum for a while. Now trying to move onto linux from windows. Have installed avlinux and alsa-utils alsa-firmware-loaders but cannot get rid of the red light on my multiface 1. Seems the card is not recognised by the system. As a check , all works in windows. I guess i need to get the system to load the firmware, but I'm a complete noob and really need someone to explain to me like I am 5yrs old. Could do with a hand.....
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30739
future-bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:26 PM   #3
reujonik

Hi, thanks for the link. Have read that several times in the past week and I just can't make it happen. The firmware is not loading at startup.
Old 05-09-2023, 05:33 PM   #4
Venn

What happens when you launch hdspmixer?
Venn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 05:42 PM   #5
Philbo King

I'm no Linux expert, but you might try Pipewire instead of Pulse or Jack if all else fails.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:46 PM   #6
swindus

The light on the Multiface must be green, this is the first step to do. Then you must start hdspmixer to get sound out of the card.

I was using the Multiface some years ago and I had also problems loading the firmware. For me it was a wrong path of the firmware files and I had to copy them to the correct path which I don't remember right now (/usr/lib/firmware/?). After that the firmware loader was able to load the firmware into the RME card and all was working. Check some boot log files for an error message or try to run hdsploader from the command line and see what it says.

@Philbo
It has nothing to do with Pipewire, Jack and so on. It's a step before that.
swindus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:47 PM   #7
swindus

Another thing to check is the cable between the pci card and the Multiface. Is it the original one?
Old 05-09-2023, 10:45 PM   #8
Philbo King

Glad we got a Linux guy on the case...
Old 05-10-2023, 12:58 AM   #9
biopsin

Something I had to do to make the firmware load when I had the RME

// RME Firmware
http://www.linuxproaudio.org/downloa...ware_rev11.bin URL is unfortunatly dead

1. place it in /lib/firmware/hdsploader
2. ln -s /lib/firmware/hdsploader/multiface_firmware_rev11.bin /lib/firmware/multiface_firmware_rev11.bin
3. ln -s /lib/firmware/hdsploader/multiface_firmware_rev11.bin /usr/share/alsa/firmware/hdsploader/multiface_firmware_rev11.bin
4. ln -s /lib/firmware/hdsploader/multiface_firmware_rev11.bin /usr/local/share/alsa/firmware/hdsploader/multiface_firmware_rev11.bin
Old 05-10-2023, 01:31 AM   #10
swindus

You can find the firmware on the ALSA project github page:
https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa...ter/hdsploader
Old 05-11-2023, 11:59 PM   #11
reujonik

Default multiface

Many thanks for the replies. Here's where I'm at. I tried to load the Rme firmware loaders in av Linux and couldn't get my Multiface to work. I then tried Ubuntu studio and experienced the same. I guess I am not experienced enough in Linux to deal with this issue. I have used Fedora37 on my laptop this last 8 weeks for my day to day work, so, for the second time, I tried Fedora Jam. First time I encountered audio crackling n' stuttering that I couldn't deal with, but at least the Multiface loaded. This time I managed to get rid of the crackling. I am now attempting to change buffer settings and sample-rate in pipe-wire. My studio PC has windows 10 on a separate recording drive and learning Linux is presently a side project, but I would like to eventually use Linux full time. Think I'll stick with Fedora as it seems to make the most sense to me. At 64yrs the auld head doesn't pick up things as well as it used to so any help or tips on using pipe-wire for low latency would be well appreciated.
Thanks........