Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-18-2023, 01:40 PM   #1
gerrytc
Human being with feelings

Default Specing out a New Computer Build

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I'm running MX-Linux with native Linux Reaper so I thought it might be a bit different than Windows/Mac()?. Anyway, I'm trying to put together a reasonably priced parts list on pcpartpicker.com for a new machine. I'm trying to be judicious about choosing a CPU and currently looking at the i5 series with integrated graphics (no GPU card) to control the cost but I'd consider going with a lower end i7 if it's worth it. Shooting for 32G RAM expandable to 64G with a couple of SATA 6gb/s drives (separate OS and home/project/sample drives).

My question is about the number of cores to consider. How does Reaper take advantage of multiple cores? I'm sure it would depend on the project size, number of plugins, etc. etc, but are more cores always better for Reaper? Is there a point of diminishing returns with the number of cores? I'm seeing from 6 to 16 cores throughout the i5 and i7 range and I don't want to buy more CPU than I need. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:03 PM   #2
Glennbo

When I first switched to Linux and REAPER for Linux about 5 years ago, I was running an Intel i5 and nVidia GPU. When I decided to build a new DAW machine, I decided to go AMD with a Ryzen 3700X and AMD Radeon RX550 GPU.

REAPER uses all cores pretty evenly. Here's a screen grab of my thread monitor, CPU speed and core temps while REAPER is playing a project with 29 tracks and 88 FX.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:33 PM   #3
gerrytc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
When I first switched to Linux and REAPER for Linux about 5 years ago, I was running an Intel i5 and nVidia GPU. When I decided to build a new DAW machine, I decided to go AMD with a Ryzen 3700X and AMD Radeon RX550 GPU.

REAPER uses all cores pretty evenly. Here's a screen grab of my thread monitor, CPU speed and core temps while REAPER is playing a project with 29 tracks and 88 FX.

Thanks, Glennbo. Seems that the 3700X has 8 cores. That's crazy low CPU utilization for that number of tracks and FX. Can't really tell from the screenshot (maybe I'm missing it?), but were all cores being utilized?
Old 05-18-2023, 03:23 PM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrytc View Post
Thanks, Glennbo. Seems that the 3700X has 8 cores. That's crazy low CPU utilization for that number of tracks and FX. Can't really tell from the screenshot (maybe I'm missing it?), but were all cores being utilized?
The 16 yellow bars at the bottom of the screen shot are thread meters. There are 8 physical cores which can do 16 threads.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:18 PM   #5
gerrytc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
The 16 yellow bars at the bottom of the screen shot are thread meters. There are 8 physical cores which can do 16 threads.
Oh, I see. Thank you.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:41 PM   #6
grinder

I got these
and could not be happier
CPU Intel Core i7-12700K $642 PB.
ASUS PROART B660-CREATOR DDR4
I came from an older i5
I have all SSD drives.
Don't muck yourself around build a good one
So much more comfortable and the tracks keep time!

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:30 AM   #7
gerrytc

I had a lot of catching up to do. I haven't build a PC for 15 years or so. Everything has changed. Damn the fast CPU's have ridiculous power dissipation. Coolers have gotten insane. I finally settled on this config:

Intel i7-12700K
MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB Ram (could go to 64 GB later but probably not necessary for my needs).
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME for the system drive.
Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Sata drive (6G) for /home directory (projects and samples).

+ case, cpu cooler, fans, etc.

It's pushing my budget a bit I wanted to do this once and have something that'll suit me for a long time (barring catastrophic failures).

I'll be using this with two 24-inch hdmi monitors to help with my aging eyes and to help fix my posture.

Thanks for everyone's inputs.