Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-02-2023, 09:07 AM   #1
heda
Human being with feelings

Default windows always reappear in Desktop 1 (using Virtual desktops in KDE)

In KDE, I have Desktop 1 and Desktop 2 virtual desktops.
If I float a plugin, it appears on Desktop 1, ok.. Now I move it to Desktop 2 and close it. Next time I float this plugin window it appears again in Desktop 1.

My question is. Can REAPER make it so that the plugin position is remembered also in which Desktop was?

It also happens with the mixer window for example.. Floating it and moving it to Desktop 2, next time you open REAPER or close and open the mixer, it goes back to Desktop 1.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 01:23 PM   #2
XoechZ

I think this is not a Reaper issue, but an issue of your window manager.
I am using XFCE and I have set it to open new windows always in the center of the screen. I like it that way and it works not only with Reaper plugins, but also with all other kindos of windows, like terminals, browser, ...

So maybe you should check KDE settings for a window placement option. I am not familiar with KDE, so I can´t tell you where to look.
XoechZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:28 AM   #3
heda

I've tried XFCE and I cannot even move the floating plugin windows outside the virtual desktop, or workspace in xfce terms.

It may not be possible. I guess virtual desktops are not like different monitors and the coordinates of the windows are the same.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:30 AM   #4
Largos

For KDE, you can set things to open in specific desktops (amongst other things) using kwin rules. Right click to the title bar, go to more actions and click "configure special window settings".

https://userbase.kde.org/KWin_Rules_Window_Attributes

That page has an out of date screenshot, they've changed the UI but explains the options.
Largos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 11:39 AM   #5
heda

Yes. Thank you.
I think we have to do this in KDE window rules settings. That's why I didn't post this as a REAPER bug.
I was able to do some rules for the mixer and some plugin windows to remember desktop. Trying to figure out now a regular expression to match the window title for any plugin.
I also have to set the focus stealing prevention in order for this to work.
This may work well now
Old 06-05-2023, 03:59 AM   #6
heda

Now that I have mixer in the second desktop, a very strange thing happens. When I mute a track, many other tracks are muted and dragging to mute various tracks doesn't work either. Then I move the mixer to the same desktop and it all works again. Maybe I will just use screenset layouts as always and forget about the desktop thing
Old 06-05-2023, 06:17 AM   #7
wastee

How can you move a mixer or subwindow to another workspace or desktop? I am using Mutter GNOME, but I am unable to did this. Whenever I try to move the mixer to the second workspace, REAPER also moves to the second workspace.
wastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:06 AM   #8
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastee View Post
How can you move a mixer or subwindow to another workspace or desktop? I am using Mutter GNOME, but I am unable to did this. Whenever I try to move the mixer to the second workspace, REAPER also moves to the second workspace.
I think it is because KDE can do it. I couldn't move them to another desktop using XFCE either. So maybe Gnome is the same. Maybe KDE virtual desktops work different than workspaces.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:11 AM   #9
wastee

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I think it is because KDE can do it. I couldn't move them to another desktop using XFCE either. So maybe Gnome is the same. Maybe KDE virtual desktops work different than workspaces.

Oh yes! I tried in Hyprland, and REAPER can move subwindows to other workspaces. It would be awesome if REAPER could retain these workspaces when I reopen it.
wastee is offline   Reply With Quote