Old 08-31-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
Saukar30
Human being with feelings

Default Recovering clips

Hi guys. Imma newbie here (obvious) but I got on the Reaper train just recently. MAN...I AM going to pay the $200 for it as soon as I pay off my probation officer LOL. Thanks to Justin and all users who have put hours in creating a serious studio alternative for regular people.

Anyways, I recently recorded a project and trying to clear up some space, I went to Clean Project Settings and deleted some files there. I didn't noticed at first, but there were files that I deleted in that group that were for other projects! YIKES! Is there anyway to recover those files? it has been a couple of days and I ahven't recorded anything new yet. I checked my recycle bin, not there. I was goign to try using this Restoration utility that recovers files that you have delted from your recycle bin, but alas it won't work if Reaper has it's own way of doing things.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-01-2006, 06:17 AM   #2
Saukar30

Anybody out there...or is this too dumb a question to reply to? I was always taught there was no such thing as a dumb question...besides "who am I?" LOL
Old 09-02-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
Spon

REAPER doesn't have its own way of managing wave data - it uses standard wave files. Try the recovery tool - ideally without doing anything else on the machine, including rebooting (internet, for example - browsers produce hundreds of temp files, any one of which might hit a part of the disk you wanted). Good luck - though you may not have written over the files, there's a fair chance Windows did.

This is yet another reason to use two hard disks for audio work, though this hardly helps you now.

Anyone else have anything helpful to add except "ouch"?

(BTW - should be in a sticky at the beginning) New questions regularly seem to take a while before someone responds. I've seen this a number of times - someone is in a hurry with a problem, and they post a second post before anyone responds. With this crowd, I suspect someone may be doing experiments before they respond.
Spon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
Saukar30

Thanks, Spon. I'll try that option.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
Gistybit

PC Inspector is freeware which has saved me a bunch of times

It can undelete deleted files. You can download it here: http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

Can't hurt to give it a go. It IS probably gone though...

Ideally install to another harddisk than you are recoverying from, and stop surfing/browsing forums, they write temp files as Spon said.

Last edited by Gistybit; 09-05-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Gistybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Saukar30

Thanks guys. I have my computer COMPLETEY dedictaed to audio with no internet connections so I'm pretty safe on the temp files. On my setup, I reconfigured Reaper to save the files to a Project file (I did it initially but it wa in the middle of that session that was partly deleted. Live and learn).

I tried the Restoration program, but as I figured that didn't work because Reaper did not send those audio files to the Recycle Bin. ahven't done any defragmenting or changing of the hard drive yet so hopefully I can still find the files SOMEWHERE

I'm at work now, but I'll try to download the PC Inspector program tonight from the library. I will update with my progress just in case. Thanks for the advice!