Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-25-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Slarty1
Human being with feelings

Default Help...."fooling" laptop for SB-LIVE software

I have some software that came with my sb-Live soundcard,and does exactly what I want, and it works with Reaper very well, I found. I installed Reaper on my desktop first, to make sure everything functioned.....IT DOES !!!!

I thought I had it made, as I have Reaper setup on my laptop(instead) with MIDI keyboard and use TAKE1 VSTi (thanks again Terry W.)which allows me to use all my sf2's. and makes a perfect portable setup for the cottage.

However......the software wont install(on laptop) because it can't detect a REAL sb-live card and aborts installation. So I copied all the files (from desktop), by using install log, and have them in the right directories. The program, STILL wont start and says "NO soundfont device found".

How can I "fool" the software,into thinking my laptop, really has a sb-live card. I can't work with Reaper(100%) without this special software (auto rhythms and accompaniment), when I have a recording session in the great outdoors. I also have another sb-Live application that works with Reaper, and lets me do really neat guitar stuff (I think)...but same problem installing.

1: Is there a "patch" available\could be made? to "fool" the software into thinking my laptop is Live compatible?
2: Could this software be turned into a VSTi?
(just the "engine" part....not the graphics)

any help,suggestions,ideas (other than taking music lessons!!!),would be most appreciated.

Terry B.
Slarty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
Spon

If the software actually USES any of the features of the SBLive, it will puke when/if you spoof it. One of these features is the built-in soundfont synth.

I'm not ABSOLUTELY certain, but you're probably out of luck.

There's no magic registry tweak or anything like that. Someone would have to seriously hack the software - and if it used soundfonts, they'd have to patch in a whole software soundfont player like sfz. Not very likely.

The soundfont editor has the same "feature" - it has to find soundfont hardware to install or run. It does not require a Creative driver to be installed, though. It uses a bunch of SBLive driver features, and complains about each one if it isn' there, but it installs, runs, and does everything else just fine. But no hardware, no install, and no run. Even after it's installed and working - if I pull the card, the software doesn't run until I put it back in.

Is there any chance the software is a version of something that is also available somewhere else? Creative may have licensed something already existing.
Spon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:27 AM   #3
Slarty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spon
Is there any chance the software is a version of something that is also available somewhere else? Creative may have licensed something already existing.
thanks for the info !

I was under the impression that a VST could "replace the real thing", because I've seen Hammond organ B3 and some other VST's that look and work by "emulating" real synths".

I have never (yet!)seen any other software (as good !), as Rhythmania and they only do drums, and not the accompaniment.
I like how I can move the backup players(bass\guitar\solo), anywhere in the soundstage, and make them play any instument I want.
I have just learned about the Audigy2 ZS PCMCIA (with ASIO),and has the 101K chip also. But being my software is so old, it may only be coded to look for a PCI card.....I shall find out !

Terry B.
Slarty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:44 AM   #4
Spon

If the card plays soundfonts and has the Emu 10k(x) chip, it ought to work. The kx SBLive! driver works with the Audigy as well as with the Emu APS card - all basically the same architecture. It's worth a try.
Spon is offline   Reply With Quote