Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 03-29-2022, 07:09 AM   #961
leafac
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
it would seem that auto gain compensation isn't exactly trivial. what's the best algorithm to implement it with the least effect on things like phase angles etc? an RMS calculation? because even with RMS with a wide interval, there'd still be some very low frequency 'coloration' if I would try to implement the feature naively. if the adjustments were going on peak values, how do you choose only the highest peaks to adjust the volume? because basically you'd get something like a bit reduced copy of preFX and postFX if you simply adjusted the output level on a sample by sample basis. also, you'd miss transients unless you were essentially soft clipping the output level to ride along with the input level.
As far as I understand, most equalizers with automatic gain compensation apply a static gain based on what’s happening. For example, if there’s a high-shelf boost, the static gain is a corresponding attenuation. You can see this for yourself by loading, for example, TDR Nova into a track, making sure EQ GAIN is enabled (that’s the default) and then looking at the response curve with Bertom’s EQ Curve Analyzer.

Note that this static gain has nothing to do with the signal coming in—it’s program independent. And note also that this gain isn’t changing over time—that’s what I mean when I say it’s “static.” This means that depending on what you’re equalizing, the automatic gain compensation may or may not do a good job. In most cases it’s good enough.

But this isn’t what ReEQ does. At least, it wasn’t at the time I talked to Justin about it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtNvWkB3R3U)

ReEQ does something a bit more sophisticated, but which requires a bit more intervention and understanding from the user. When you enable automatic gain compensation, it’s going to compute the gain of the input and the output, and adjust the gain accordingly. You should play some audio for this detection to start working, and them you should lock the automatic gain compensation value. In the end, it’s going to be a static gain just the same, in the sense that it doesn’t change over time, but at least it’s program-dependent to some extent.

What you’re describing with RMS calculation and so forth is getting into the territory of compressors. Some equalizers have such features, particularly those that include dynamic equalizers, but I think that in most cases they wouldn’t call it “automatic gain compensation.”
leafac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:50 AM   #962
Patriots2007

Default Installation question for the ReJJ-1.2.0 Parametric Equalizer

Yesterday I installed this plugin and discovered that the license file and the read me file were also listed in Reaper's list of effects. Is this normal? I have tried to remove these two files from the list but have had no luck.
Thanks,
Rich
Patriots2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:36 AM   #963
leafac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots2007 View Post
Yesterday I installed this plugin and discovered that the license file and the read me file were also listed in Reaper's list of effects. Is this normal? I have tried to remove these two files from the list but have had no luck.
Thanks,
Rich
I believe you can remove the license and README files from the FX browser by performing the following steps:

1. Go to “Options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder…”

2. Navigate to where you installed ReEQ.

3. Remove the license and README files from there.

4. In the FX Browser in REAPER, right-click on the gray area left to the left of the “Add”/“Cancel” buttons.

5. Choose the “Scan for new plugins” menu option.

Alternatively, you may install ReEQ with ReaPack, which doesn’t include the license and README files in the first place.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:09 AM   #964
Patriots2007

Thank you. Worked perfectly
Patriots2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:33 AM   #965
reapercurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafac View Post

What you’re describing with RMS calculation and so forth is getting into the territory of compressors. Some equalizers have such features, particularly those that include dynamic equalizers, but I think that in most cases they wouldn’t call it “automatic gain compensation.”
ok, imagine sending one sample into your filter, then that filter performs its function with its circular algorithm. There will be some stuff happening in the frequency domain, but each sample as they enter and exit the filter can only be expressed as an amplitude level. So if you send in a sample at a given floating point decimal, and then 'compensate' for any difference in level after the filter, then the sample should have the same exact value as it did before the effect, so either you get a similar signal to when you started, or a definitely smeared version of the effect. And it bears repeating that there will be changes in the frequency domain, but not as accurate as perhaps intended originally with the filter. And AGC I believe is by definition some kind of compressor or expander since it does gain changes at some specified range of effect. I am only guessing, but AGC is probably an effect itself that colors/smears whatever carefully crafted filter was meant to do. And there has to be some kind of decision made as to what kind of algorithm to use for AGC, and different developers probably use different methods, that's all I was trying to say. Also, that it would totally depend on the kind of filter or effect that is being used before the AGC operation.

And another question I had was is it possible to change the frequency spectrum scale on REEQ?

about half of it is dedicated to frequencies 0-500, and I think much more is going on from 500-20,000 so it would be cool to be able to slide the weight of that scale, or change the scale to different fequency spectrum windows.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:51 PM   #966
boolin

Default parameter mapping of stereo placement

hi nitsuj.

while mapping parameters between two instances of reeq, i noticed the following...

when selecting the 'left' or 'right' stereo placement in one instance, it always displays 'side' on the other instance.

'stereo', 'side', and 'mid' selections all replicate as expected.

not sure that this is a bug per se, but thought it worth mentioning / asking about.

as always, thank you for the amazing eq.
boolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 01:00 PM   #967
boolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
And another question I had was is it possible to change the frequency spectrum scale on REEQ?

About half of it is dedicated to frequencies 0-500, and I think much more is going on from 500-20,000 so it would be cool to be able to slide the weight of that scale, or change the scale to different fequency spectrum windows.
Fab Filter seems to do it the way reeq does - center frequency setting of 500 Hz - https://www.fabfilter.com/img/produc...screenshot.jpg

VST: ReaEQ (Cockos) and JS: Frequency Spectrum Analyzer Meter (Cockos) seem to lean more the direction that human being reapercurious is suggesting - center frequency of 1kHz - no screenshot or URL, just open them and see

Both appear to be sensible and well supported approaches.

Perhaps a toggle or slider of some sort to allow user to align reeq with any other tools being used?
boolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:55 PM   #968
MaXyM

Hello
Just want to report that ReSpectrum inserted into Master Bus always reports "Plug-In UI Open" when the "Show Embedded UI..." option is enabled.

It works as expected in regular tracks.

With regards
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:08 AM   #969
leafac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
Hello
Just want to report that ReSpectrum inserted into Master Bus always reports "Plug-In UI Open" when the "Show Embedded UI..." option is enabled.

It works as expected in regular tracks.

With regards
I was curious, so I gave it a try and it worked for me:

I tried both the TCP as well as the MCP.

Do you have more specific steps that would help us reproduce the issue?
Old 05-03-2022, 06:44 AM   #970
MaXyM

Interesting. I was wondering why nobody reports that, thinking maybe ReSpectrum is not as often used as ReEQ.

But didn't expect it's the issue on my side only.
I have not much experience with that. I just tried to put it into the master track into an existing project. I should try it in an empty project too. I will do that today.

Ahh... ReEQ works properly.

Last edited by MaXyM; 05-03-2022 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:11 AM   #971
JonLinnarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
Interesting. I was wondering why nobody reports that, thinking maybe ReSpectrum is not as often used as ReEQ.
I have ReSpectrum inserted on my master channel with the GUI shown all the time and I don't think I've ever had a problem with it.

Could it be theme related (if you are using a different theme that is)?
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:55 PM   #972
tubegeek

nitsuj - wow. Thanks!

I'll complete Ann Lamott's 3 prayers with: "help"

Is there any way I could tweak the colors of the before/after EQ spectrum line display? In the code perhaps? Right now they are two blues, I'd love to change them to something that says "before/after" more clearly in my brainspace. Red/yellow, blue/red, whatever.

Terrific plugin. Sorry to start my time in this thread with a nitpick - that is because everything ELSE I've encountered in ReEQ is super-clever and thoroughly satisfying. Thank you. A real gift.
tubegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:44 PM   #973
MaXyM

Finally, I found the root cause.
I have the FX chain window docked into the bottom docker. It's available here as one out of more tabs.

Since this, even if the chain is not visible because another tab is selected, it blocks an embedded JS plugin that is selected in the docked FX chain window.

I suppose it's the Reaper issue rather than the plugin itself. But one might find this behavior limiting.
Old 05-07-2022, 02:47 AM   #974
EdPeterson

Is it any different from ReaQ aside from the UI?
EdPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:34 AM   #975
K8ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
Hello all!

There's a new version available on the front page...v1.2.0.

First off...ReaPack finally!!

The repository link for ReaPack is:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ju...ster/index.xml

Enjoy!

Sorry..this repository is getting an error message.
Is there a NEW url ...or somewhere I can download this?
Old 05-08-2022, 06:54 AM   #976
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8ch View Post
Sorry..this repository is getting an error message.
Is there a NEW url ...or somewhere I can download this?
Hm..the link worked for me (just tried now), what did you do exactly and which error message?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:38 AM   #977
leafac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdPeterson View Post
Is it any different from ReaQ aside from the UI?
Yes.

ReEQ includes filters that ReaEQ doesn’t support, for example, low- and high-pass filters with 6dB/oct slopes.

ReEQ lets you choose whether each band will work in stereo or mid/side.

ReEQ’s oversampling introduces much less latency then REAPER’s native FX instance oversampling (you’ll be interested in oversampling EQ if you don’t want filters to cramp out of shape at high frequencies).

Probably there are more differences, perhaps even less nerdy ones, but these are the ones that came to mind…
Old 05-11-2022, 06:04 PM   #978
K8ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Hm..the link worked for me (just tried now), what did you do exactly and which error message?

Got it.
The problem was that I cut/pasted the url directly from the post, which was an abbreviated version of the actual, full url.

Peace,

Keith
Old 05-23-2022, 02:59 AM   #979
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubegeek View Post
nitsuj - wow. Thanks!

I'll complete Ann Lamott's 3 prayers with: "help"

Is there any way I could tweak the colors of the before/after EQ spectrum line display? In the code perhaps? Right now they are two blues, I'd love to change them to something that says "before/after" more clearly in my brainspace. Red/yellow, blue/red, whatever.

Terrific plugin. Sorry to start my time in this thread with a nitpick - that is because everything ELSE I've encountered in ReEQ is super-clever and thoroughly satisfying. Thank you. A real gift.
Ideally the colours would be in some kind of tweakable ini file but for now you can change them in the source code.

In 'ReEQ.jsfx' at around line 270 you'll see where the colours are set for the individual spectrums. Just change those and you'll be good to go!
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:06 PM   #980
tubegeek

Quote:
Ideally the colours would be in some kind of tweakable ini file but for now you can change them in the source code.

In 'ReEQ.jsfx' at around line 270 you'll see where the colours are set for the individual spectrums. Just change those and you'll be good to go!
Thanks for the reply - once again, I am really enjoying this particular EQ very much, thank you for the great design. I'm going to go try it right now!

Question: should this edit below have changed the input line's color to 222/158/26? (a kind of sickly green.) Is there anything I have to do besides put my new .jsfx (with a new filename and a new description "ReEQcolor")into the same folder as the original? I was able to load an instance of ReEQcolor OK, but the colors stayed the same.

Code:
 Display_Mode == 0 ? (
    fill_r = 22 / 255;
    fill_g = 158 / 255;
    fill_b = 26 / 255;
    fill_a = 1.0;
    spectrum.set_fill(0, 1);
    spectrum.set_color(0, fill_r*fade, fill_g*fade, fill_b*fade, fill_a);

spectrum.set_fill(2, 0);
    spectrum.set_color(2, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 1);

fill_r = 96 / 255;
    fill_g = 223 / 255;
    fill_b = 255 / 255;
    fill_a = 0.5;

Last edited by tubegeek; 05-26-2022 at 01:01 PM. Reason: more info
tubegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 03:58 PM   #981
pietro79

Enjoying Reeq!

I'm wondering, the original post mentions "Select multiple filter nodes by holding the left mouse button and dragging a region box to encompass filters."

But when I click left mouse button, hold, and drag, no region box appears. Am I misunderstanding it? Or was this feature removed?

Thanks!
pietro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 12:15 PM   #982
BryanChi

only 5 of the nodes are automatable because there's a 64 sliders limit for jsfx? just wondering if there's anyway to get around that?
Thanks,
BryanChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 01:01 PM   #983
MaXyM

Hello
It’s possible to select and move multiple nodes at once, but is it possible to mute them?
Old 07-15-2022, 08:25 AM   #984
magicaltrevor70

This is fast becoming my go-to EQ. Would it be possible to add the ability to double click on the knobs and type in exact values?
magicaltrevor70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:28 PM   #985
JonLinnarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicaltrevor70 View Post
This is fast becoming my go-to EQ. Would it be possible to add the ability to double click on the knobs and type in exact values?
It has been asked dozens of times, but it's unfortunately not possible right now.

A quote from nitsuj:

Quote:
Entering values comes up a lot. It's not going to happen by keyboard entry until Cockos allow better control over keyboard focus in jSFX. I'm toying with the idea of having a dialog box come up so you can enter precise values by clicking on the numbers, but until then you can press ALT whilst dragging for finer control.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:24 AM   #986
YanHurd

Any hack to get the band solo option in ReSpectrum to work? Holding shift displays a nice frame with no audio output ... would love to use that one in an embedded UI.
YanHurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:05 PM   #987
hologramme

Default sidechain eq

Hello nitsuj !
Your work is fantastic and thank you for that

I think, the only thing missing is the sidechain eq, like fabfilter proQ3

if you can add this function, it will be even more perfect

Thank you !!
hologramme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:34 AM   #988
JonLinnarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanHurd View Post
Any hack to get the band solo option in ReSpectrum to work? Holding shift displays a nice frame with no audio output ... would love to use that one in an embedded UI.
No idea for a hack, but can't you just use ReEQ instead? You get the same spectrum analyzer and band-solo works fine in ReEQ
Old 08-09-2022, 12:43 PM   #989
onewayout

Quote:

Hi nitsuj,

I've been using this in reaper for a long time massively great EQ. I tried to run it in Harrison Mixbus and it shows up but there is no graphics.....Is it possible to make it work in their forum?

Thx, Jeff
Old 08-09-2022, 06:35 PM   #990
Chris Diablo

Default I Love This Plugin

I love this Plugin and use it alot. Thank you so much for all the work you've put into it! It's brilliant and near perfect. The only thing I would like to see are being able to input specific numeric settings manually.

And speaking of things to see... What's up with Reaper being so challenging for anyone over 45 to read so many basic, repeated use kind of things, on regular sized desktop monitors? It's such a mean and lean piece of ever-improving software, but not all it's users are. Are the developers screening their work on wall-sized monitors? Because, after using Reaper for almost as long as it's been available, I think visual accessibility should be taken more seriously.

I almost deleted this post, because maybe the onus is on users to beef up visual accessibility on their end via bigger screens, specialized eyeglasses, etc. But it is something that slows my workflow and annoys me when I'm more interested in what my ears have to say.
Chris Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 02:49 AM   #991
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diablo View Post

... Because, after using Reaper for almost as long as it's been available, I think visual accessibility should be taken more seriously.
... But it is something that slows my workflow and annoys me when I'm more interested in what my ears have to say.
Mmh, yes - maybe you could post that in this subforum: Color Themes and Icon Sets.
I'm sure there are "themes" there that you would really like.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:56 AM   #992
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
Hi nitsuj,

I've been using this in reaper for a long time massively great EQ. I tried to run it in Harrison Mixbus and it shows up but there is no graphics.....Is it possible to make it work in their forum?

Thx, Jeff
Harrison Mixbus can run JSFX? If it's through the JSFX wrapper then unfortunately that uses an older version of JSFX and ReEQ requires some of the later features for it to work.
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:06 AM   #993
onewayout

Quote:
Harrison Mixbus can run JSFX? If it's through the JSFX wrapper then unfortunately that uses an older version of JSFX and ReEQ requires some of the later features for it to work.

Okey dokey 👍
Old 10-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #994
DaniloVillanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
Okey dokey 👍
YSFX ia capable of loading ReEQ.

https://github.com/jpcima/ysfx
DaniloVillanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:33 AM   #995
JonLinnarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniloVillanova View Post
YSFX is capable of loading ReEQ.

https://github.com/jpcima/ysfx
Can confirm.

With YSFX, ReEQ is probably one of the most powerful free EQ's out there. TDR Nova is probably the only one I would place above ReEQ, but it's a completely different kind of EQ. Melda MEqualizer is also a great free EQ, but you are limited to six bands. I also have a weak-spot for lkjb's 6-band TinyQ, as well as his 12-band linear-phase QRange!
Old 10-12-2022, 10:12 AM   #996
X.E.L. OHH

Default Brick wall low pass and high pass for ReEQ

Is it possible to get a brick wall low pass and high pass on ReEQ. I'm not sure if this was asked before. I'm new to the community and this thread and couldn't read all the comments to see if this was asked. Please let me know if this is possible. And can this be added to ReEQ Thank you
X.E.L. OHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 06:19 PM   #997
Subz

WTAF!!!!

This sounds amazing! And the usability of the GUI is really great!

A Quick Question about the "AGC" (Auto Gain Control I guess?) to my ears it seems to be moving dynamically even after you stop moving parameters, (EG the volume goes up and down during dropouts in a track, ect...)

Thank You So Much for this!

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:38 AM   #998
georgemickel

Good job on reEQ. After I've downloaded, unzipped it, with limited eyesight how do I install it into Reaper?

I'm sorry it was mentioned prior to my question.
georgemickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:47 AM   #999
R0bert0pist0lesi

[QUOTE=nitsuj;2057977]ReEQ - Parametric Equaliser
Hi,I admit I'm totally new to this forum,and a relatively fresh reaper user. I cannot manage to have the ReEQ installed properly.By that I mean that I have ReEQ, but I do not see the knob commands in the center, and I can't find the switch to show them. I'd gladly buy you a "beer" if you could help me to use this wonderful plugin properly. I run mac os catalina 10.10.5. When I imported the repository (which for me is just another word for total mistery)It said that multiple things were wrong and could not import it.
Thanks for any help!!!
R0bert0pist0lesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:31 AM   #1000
JonLinnarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemickel View Post
Good job on reEQ. After I've downloaded, unzipped it, with limited eyesight how do I install it into Reaper?

I'm sorry it was mentioned prior to my question.
Place it in Reaper's Effects folder.

Open Reaper, go to the Options drop-down menu and choose "Show REAPER resource path". In the window that pops up you should see a bunch of folders, one of them should be called "Effects". Open it and place the files from the ReEQ .rar in the Effects folder. Restart Reaper and try to search for ReEQ in the FX-browser.