Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-12-2020, 02:16 AM   #1
cyneca
Human being with feelings

Default ADSR Sample manager - solution? alternatives?

I use the Reaper media browser quite a lot to trawl through 100Gb of samples, but struggle to find samples based on tags, similarity etc. Hence my attempt to install ADSR sample manager 1.5.
The good news is, it does exactly what I hoped to find. Super easy to find samples. The bad news is that it makes Reaper crash every single time i move a sample to a Reaper track. Every time. Tried with "ignore Asio reset messages", disabled bridging/firewalling but no success.
I'm aware that ADSR sample manager has gotten lots of angry feedback from other users confirming it is super buggy and unstable, so no doubt I've been looking for trouble. Still, anyone who got this to work as VST? Or, anyone using another -better- tool to browse samples in Reaper?
cyneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:42 AM   #2
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Did you try LoopCloud?
https://www.loopcloud.com/cloud/
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:33 AM   #3
cyneca

thanks for the hint!

Had a look at it, and you're definitely right, loopcloud is a stable alternative.

I wish it did what ADSR can do, but beggars can't be choosers I guess. Just to elaborate a bit more on that, Loopcloud seems to do a perfect job primarely for the sounds bought from Loopmasters. ADSR does the same job for existing sample libraries on your harddrive: its tagging algorithm is surprisingly clever and takes into account file names, folder names etc. Loopcloud doesn't seem to do that, at least not in the same degree.
Conclusion - thanks for the helpful hint as an immediate solution, and I keep hoping that someone has cracked the code to keep ADSR running in a stable way.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:36 AM   #4
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneca View Post
ADSR does the same job for existing sample libraries on your harddrive: its tagging algorithm is surprisingly clever and takes into account file names, folder names etc. Loopcloud doesn't seem to do that, at least not in the same degree.
Unless i am missing something, Loopcloud does this (tagging your own samples and findind their kind).
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:44 AM   #5
cyneca

you're right, loopcloud apparently tags the type of sample pretty well (e.g. bass, drums and determines the bpm and key). And yes, you can manually add tags per sample or folder.
What I liked about ADSR though is that the algorithm would also find the type of music (funk, jazz, techno) out of the file or folder name.
This is something that I haven't got Loopcloud to do yet automatically. And i have some 50,000 folders of samples to tag with music styles :-)
Old 09-13-2020, 06:57 AM   #6
rainydayshirts

I've been using Sononym ( https://www.sononym.net/ )

I'm quite happy with it.

Homepage
rainydayshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #7
vinnie2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Unless i am missing something, Loopcloud does this (tagging your own samples and findind their kind).
Loopcloud is no longer freely available.
Or at least I can no longer find it for free, LoopMasters only have paid plans now.
vinnie2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:36 AM   #8
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneca View Post
I use the Reaper media browser quite a lot to trawl through 100Gb of samples, but struggle to find samples based on tags, similarity etc. Hence my attempt to install ADSR sample manager 1.5.
The good news is, it does exactly what I hoped to find. Super easy to find samples. The bad news is that it makes Reaper crash every single time i move a sample to a Reaper track. Every time. Tried with "ignore Asio reset messages", disabled bridging/firewalling but no success.
I'm aware that ADSR sample manager has gotten lots of angry feedback from other users confirming it is super buggy and unstable, so no doubt I've been looking for trouble. Still, anyone who got this to work as VST? Or, anyone using another -better- tool to browse samples in Reaper?
I like a ton of what ADSR does. But every new update of the Sample Manager SUCKS. It's all "cloud-based" and "log-in", now... it doesn't have to be. Not everyone relies on Splice and other stuff to sync their samples and loops. I have all my stuff stored locally and want nothing to do with cloud connection.

I asked them ages ago to implement midi-learn for sample start/end points, just to keep things simple for a million and a half purposes... they add random midi stuff, but never that.

The built-in Media Explorer is pretty damn good, especially with the recent Reaper updates.

Older versions of ADSR manager, I've found... more useful... but still, I rarely use it.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:23 AM   #9
vanhaze

Samplism can import thirdparty libraries from Native Instruments and Ableton, which is really awesome i think.
However, it lacks BPM and Key detection features, which for me are important.
Hopefully this will get implemented in version 2, which is coming later this year.

https://audiohelperproject.com/products/samplism/

Currently i am using ADSR Samplemanager (mac), but i have a weird issue with it:
You have to click a sample to have it scanned for its BPM and Key.
Seems that you cannot scan your whole samples library for BPM and key beforehand.
But maybe i'm missing something...
Old 05-07-2021, 06:26 AM   #10
Michael AD

I’d never heard of Sononym (thanks rainydayshirts!) and it seemed like it was going to be a good solution. However, it seems to have one glaring flaw (though I could be missing something) - you must have all samples in one directory if you wish to scan all your files. Yes, you can have as many folders as you wish in that one directory, but if you have samples in another directory separate from that main directory, then a search will not find them. Instead, you would have to navigate to that directory and do another search. This is not a practical solution.

I have also had issues with the ADSR manager and have given up on it due to various crashes. I’ve also had to rescan folders that had been previously scanned (though nothing had changed in those folders).

It seems like LoopCloud’s system works best, but the free version of LoopCloud 6 will no longer recognize new samples in your local drive. It does recognize everything it had previously scanned and I like the search capabilities, but I am not a fan of their offerings (the best samples they offer on LoopMasters do not show in LoopCloud). Perhaps I just need to pay for a month occasionally to have my new samples scanned. Paying them $7.99 every 3-4 months might be the best way to utilize their sample manager.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #11
rainydayshirts

the search scenario you describe is sort of correct. Once you start a similarity search or keyword search, it will only show results in the current directory, but, if you then switch to another directory, that active search is carried over and is fairly seamless. I think the idea is sort of like digital crate digging, only once you find something you like, the crates reorganize themselves to show you what you most likely want.

I might not be explaining it well. I'll see if I can't find one of the good overview videos on YouTube that I checked out before purchasing the software and post a link.

Also, I'm currently running with only two primary directories (libraires and packs) and the libraries directory has ~135k samples and didn't take more than an hour to analyze. startup isn't painfully slow, either. So, while it isn't recommended to use a single database for a billion samples, ~135k appears to be a "medium" sized directory (on a 512GB SDXC Card)

Homepage

Last edited by rainydayshirts; 05-07-2021 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling correction
rainydayshirts is offline   Reply With Quote