Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 02-11-2021, 07:11 AM   #1
JP Ahonen
Human being with feelings

Default Rendering ambisonics/spatial audio out from Reaper

Hi there, I'm looking for some help with setting up and rendering spatial audio out from Reaper. I'm not super savvy with this, so all help is warmly welcome, thanks!

Long story short, I'm working on this thing: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/b...xperience--2#/, a 360° animated "gig". I've successfully managed to mix some of the audience ambience into the audio track, with shouts, screams and claps coming from various directions, but when I render/export the tests out, everything sort of sounds flat. In Reaper it sounds three-dimensional, but there's no proper sense of space in the renders. I'm just wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Additionally, I'd like the final product on Youtube to react to head-movements, so if anyone has experience with that, I'm all ears. Thanks again!
JP Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #2
plush2

Can you tell us a bit more about how you are mixing this in Reaper? Are you using Facebook 360, ambisonic tool kit, the reasurround panner? If you are using ambisonics then that might explain why the render doesn't sound the way you expect. Ambisonics needs to be decoded at playback for the speaker or binaural headphone playback device. Since ambisonics is what you need to deliver to YouTube you'll need to tackle that concept at some point.

I would suggest uploading some tests to YouTube using the directions in this link. It works more or less just as you are describing (except the head movement tracking, that is currently a VR only trick). It does track motion on a mobile device so you can look/listen around fairly comfortably. You do have to wait for a while as YouTube processes the experience for the spatial audio to work so keep the tests short at first.

Here's an example promo for a podcast I'm releasing that has spatial audio on YouTube...

UST Coffee Promo

Some embedded players don't do the spatial audio part so just launch it on the YouTube site or app. It looks like a fun project. Good luck!
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
JP Ahonen

Thanks for the reply! I'm using the ambisonic tool kit indeed (http://www.ambisonictoolkit.net/documentation/reaper/).

Ok, I'll need to dive into the decoding stuff, thanks! Looks a little overwhelming, but I'll do my best. Cheers!
JP Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #4
plush2

Post back here if you have any questions. I'm happy to walk through it with you as best I can.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote