Old 07-04-2021, 07:42 PM   #1
merseymale
Human being with feelings

Default M-Audiophile 2496 drivers..?

Hi!

My Problem is that I loved M-Audio’s 2496 soundcards and managed to load three of them Into my XP computer! This made transferring stuff from hardware multi-tracker easy in that a 10 minute song with, say eight tracks would take 20 minutes to transfer instead of over an hour but I can’t find any drivers for these cards anymore for modern computers and wonder if it’s possible to go back to the XP operating system on a new computer and if so how?
…or is there something with multiple inputs that’s more long-lasting and future proof and doesn’t break the bank?!

Thanks in Advance EVERYONE!
merseymale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:18 AM   #2
cyrano

There are two Facebook groups for old M-Audio hardware. Mostly Firewire, AFAIK, but they know a lot about it. I ran a Firebridge for a few years with the modded driver one of these groups provide, albeit on a Mac.

Lemme see if I can post links...

EDIT:

This is the one for M-Audio Firewire 410, 1814, Solo, Audiophile, and ProFire users:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411587505697756

Can't seem to find the other one, atm. FB sucks... your data...
Old 07-06-2021, 08:42 AM   #3
Glennbo

I had two M-Audio Delta 2496 cards when Win10 was new and I tried it for a few days before nuking it and going back to Win7.

Anyway, the Win7 driver worked fine with Win10 back then, but Microsoft might have changed things so it doesn't now.

I switched to Linux with those two M-Audio 2496 cards when Win7 was near end of life and used them up till a year or two ago when I got a USB rackmount audio interface. Those cards work great in REAPER for Linux and you don't even need to install any drivers because it's all built into the Linux kernel.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:06 AM   #4
Patrice Brousseau

Yes, works fine in Windows 10 last I used my AP2496. Even have some modded drivers from MacOS if you look on some… ahem… Hackintosh forum.
Patrice Brousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:25 AM   #5
merseymale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
There are two Facebook groups for old M-Audio hardware. Mostly Firewire, AFAIK, but they know a lot about it. I ran a Firebridge for a few years with the modded driver one of these groups provide, albeit on a Mac.

Lemme see if I can post links...

EDIT:

This is the one for M-Audio Firewire 410, 1814, Solo, Audiophile, and ProFire users:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411587505697756

Can't seem to find the other one, atm. FB sucks... your data...
Thanks I appreciate it
Old 08-03-2021, 07:30 AM   #6
merseymale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I had two M-Audio Delta 2496 cards when Win10 was new and I tried it for a few days before nuking it and going back to Win7.

Anyway, the Win7 driver worked fine with Win10 back then, but Microsoft might have changed things so it doesn't now.

I switched to Linux with those two M-Audio 2496 cards when Win7 was near end of life and used them up till a year or two ago when I got a USB rackmount audio interface. Those cards work great in REAPER for Linux and you don't even need to install any drivers because it's all built into the Linux kernel.
Thanks for your time and effort
I know this will sound a bit heretical to some but I just find it very difficult (just my way of thinking maybe I’m too old I don’t know?!) & I really dislike all the Trying to keep on top of operating systems!

TBH I wish I could just still run XP because I totally got my head around that one!

I really don’t want to learn too much about computers anymore and just get on with recording and stuff
Perhaps if I’d of started off on Linux it would be different but it’s all just quite confusing keeping on top of things…

If it were completely up to me and money was no object I’d be running a hardware studio but it’s just that I can’t do, on my budget, with hardware what I can do in software and, to my mind at least, the computer is merely a necessary evil!

Anyhoo thank you so much for your advice
Old 08-03-2021, 07:30 AM   #7
merseymale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brousseau View Post
Yes, works fine in Windows 10 last I used my AP2496. Even have some modded drivers from MacOS if you look on some… ahem… Hackintosh forum.
I still Struggle with my PC but thank you so much for your time
Old 08-03-2021, 07:46 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by merseymale View Post
Thanks for your time and effort
I know this will sound a bit heretical to some but I just find it very difficult (just my way of thinking maybe I’m too old I don’t know?!) & I really dislike all the Trying to keep on top of operating systems!

TBH I wish I could just still run XP because I totally got my head around that one!

I really don’t want to learn too much about computers anymore and just get on with recording and stuff
Perhaps if I’d of started off on Linux it would be different but it’s all just quite confusing keeping on top of things…

If it were completely up to me and money was no object I’d be running a hardware studio but it’s just that I can’t do, on my budget, with hardware what I can do in software and, to my mind at least, the computer is merely a necessary evil!

Anyhoo thank you so much for your advice
You could still run XP if you don't connect it to the internet. When I went back to Windows 7 my intention was to run REAPER for Windows in Win7 with no internet, and use Linux for everything else, but right after setting up my dual boot Win7/Linux DAW, Justin starting making experimental REAPER for Linux releases.

Wasn't a month or so later I just started using Linux, but with Win7 setup with no internet, I kept it on my DAW machine until about a year ago, which was long after its expiration date.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote