Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-26-2021, 01:45 PM   #1
storyteller
Human being with feelings

Default Announcing OTR2! - Orchestral Template For Reaper v2 Now Available! (Free)

I am happy to announce that Orchestral Template for Reaper v2 is now available! A new website has been setup (orchestraltemplateforreaper.com). New videos have been made. You no longer have to download OTR through the Storyteller Store. It is simply a download link.

What's New in OTRv2?

- OTR's script and actions count has increased from ~300 scripts to ~1000
- No more track prefixes/suffixes... just name the tracks what you want.
- 32 fully customizable and re-assignable stem categories (up from 23)
- 8 fully customizable and re-assignable stem groups (up from 6)
- New, custom-designed GUI editor for easy stem grouping, routing and renaming
- OTRv2 comes pre-configured with full integration with Reaticulate
- New and included Reaticulate articulation templates that are tailored for OTR's workflow
- OTRv2 includes a custom Reaticulate GUI to manage the articulations within OTR (meaning no text editing for Reaticulate)
- Includes a custom JS Helper plugin for Reaticulate that translates CC values into Note-Hold values. This is very helpful when multiple Keyswitches are used in an instrument such as Bohemian Violin and Cello.
- Reorganized and simplified Track Template menus
- Tons of new Track Templates for various samplers/romplers
- Full Kontakt template integration with Flexrouter scripts allowing for up to 128 articulations per track with Reaticulate
- Full Flexrouter integration with the Reaticulate GUI
- Full consideration given in crafting VEPro templates with Reaticulate, Kontakt, and Flexrouter to optimize performance and track management across slave/satellite computers
- OTR v2 includes a completely custom-designed theme that marries the best of Reaper v5 and v6 themes together
- Reaper/OTR Custom Menu Buttons now fully conform to your project. For example if you have a project that has specific track groups for stems that are different than another project's stems and groupings the Reaper/OTR Menu buttons can now be updated to reflect the names of the stems and groups specific to each project.
- Automatically convert OTR v1 templates to OTR v2 simply by opening the GUI for OTR2
And more!
- A new OTR2 Youtube channel has been setup that will be solely focused on bringing OTR content to users.

OTRv2 continues to be offered for free to the community. Donations/Contributions can be made via PayPal from the OTR website and are greatly appreciated. I want to reiterate there is no paywall to download or use OTR2. Nor am I requiring any accounts to be setup to download the software. It is just a simple download link.

Stay tuned for new videos and walkthroughs. In an effort to get the software released, I went ahead and put together the most important how-to videos. The rest will come at a near point in the future. I hope you enjoy using OTR2 as much as I do. The Reaticulate GUI is a HUGE timesaver... be sure to check it out!

www.orchestraltemplateforreaper.com
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:12 PM   #2
CQrity

I have not yet looked at it and I already have to say thanks so much. Big fan here, can’t wait to dig into the update. I have to say I love that the prefixes are gone!

You are awesome!
CQrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
_Stevie_

Holy moly! Congrats on such a huge release!
Old 07-27-2021, 02:36 AM   #4
Geoff-h3o

Sounds good Thanks
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:05 PM   #5
storyteller

Thanks! I’m real happy about it. There has been such an evolution with it and I am especially pleased with the added GUI integrations with reaticulate as well as the custom theme. I hope everyone enjoys it. Definitely let me know if you have any questions as you get started.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:32 AM   #6
TonE

Thanks for sharing it for all Reaper lovers. This is the Reaper way. Thanks a lot my friend. Those who did not understand this concept yet, will understand in future, hopefully.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:16 AM   #7
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Thanks! I’m real happy about it. There has been such an evolution with it and I am especially pleased with the added GUI integrations with reaticulate as well as the custom theme. I hope everyone enjoys it. Definitely let me know if you have any questions as you get started.
Since I'm already using Reaticulate, I have a question in regards to the Editor.
How does it handle the automatic creation of bank / program change numbers?
Will it create a bank based on what numbers are still left or do we need to keep track of those to avoid maps with double entries?
Old 07-28-2021, 05:17 AM   #8
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Since I'm already using Reaticulate, I have a question in regards to the Editor.
How does it handle the automatic creation of bank / program change numbers?
Will it create a bank based on what numbers are still left or do we need to keep track of those to avoid maps with double entries?
Good Q’s! Jason (the developer of Reaticulate) blocked off a set of banks for me to use with OTR (totaling over 3000 distinct articulation maps of up to 128 articulations each). This means that banks created with the GUI do not touch the previously defined “user” bank numbers below 64. So as long as you’ve abided by Reaticulate’s rules of keeping your user bank numbers in the defined “user” range, then you could just copy/paste those into the Reaticulate Reabank text file to keep using them with OTR2.

For reabank creation, the GUI editor searches out the next available MSB-LSB combo in the reabank file starting in banks 93-128. Bank 92 is reserved for OTR system templates.

As for specific LSB numbers within the MSB, the GUI has each of the 128 articulation slots individually numbered in the editor. I do not currently have a sort order function yet... so articulations appear in Reaticulate in the order they are entered in the GUI editor. But, you can skip around and enter articulations in the numbered program where you want them to go.

Any user banks you have created outside of the OTR Reaticulate GUI will not show up as editable in the GUI, but will still be usable by the Reaticulate plug-in, Nor will Reaticulate system banks show up in the GUI editor. It is purely limited to banks created by the GUI.

Since Reaticulate is infinitely capable of customization and I wanted to integrate it with flex router, I had to scale down the editing possibilities for this current GUI integration. Currently the GUI limits the customization to the use of up to 3 CCs, 1 static KS, and 1 Note-Hold value. But it is setup like Excel to speed through bank creation. It is fast! I have yet to run into a library it could not handle. That said, Bohemian Violin and Cello expansions are the only outliers that gave me pause since they use multiple note-hold key switches and strange note on/off toggles, but I got around that pretty easily by using the custom JS cc to note-hold mapper and by setting up the instrument on bank 1 and bank 2 in the UVIvplayer. One bank had the static Note on/off for chordal mode toggled on... the other toggled off. Since there are more than 128 articulation possibilities (a Reaticulate and midi limitation) in the Bohemian instruments, I created one bank for each “performer” and one generic bank that allows the user to KS the performer rather than have that embedded in the articulation file,

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by storyteller; 07-28-2021 at 07:36 AM. Reason: grammar and such
Old 07-28-2021, 10:19 AM   #9
CQrity

I also got some questions after taking a look at v2 and the PDF!

1. Can I import my keyboard shortcuts safely? Or does OTR rely on specific shortcuts to work?

2. I would like to change the appearance of items (specificly the waveforms - I would like them to be a darker shade of their main color). However in preferences the options for customization of waveforms are greyed out. How can I do this?
There are other components of the theme I also would like to change. Which parts must not be changed?

3. How can I change the default colors in OTR? At fist glance they are way too saturated for my taste and I would like to try some different tones.

4. Is there a method for the choice of colors 021 - 032? They seem random to me after the rainbow scheme of the preceding colors. xD

5. I heavily rely on Julian Saders Midi scripts. The "Read First" PDF mentions, that OTR uses custom versions and updates might brake functionality. I also like to use other scripts. Not being able to update them seems to be a bummer. Why needs OTR to change up these scripts?

Thanks man
Old 07-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #10
storyteller

Hey! Thanks for the questions. I'll answer them below. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQrity View Post
I also got some questions after taking a look at v2 and the PDF!
1. Can I import my keyboard shortcuts safely? Or does OTR rely on specific shortcuts to work?
This *should* be okay since it won’t technically break anything in OTR. But, if it were me, I’d copy/paste the shortcuts from the kb file into the OTR kb file once you’ve determined there is no overlap. But, if you want to replace them fully, here is what you need to know:

Most OTR shortcuts have right-click->flyouts to improve the usability. So, you won’t lose functionality by removing the shortcuts. The important ones are Freeze VI, Freeze All VIs, Activate Track, Deactivate Track, and Unfreeze. On Mac, they are option+f, option+shift+f, option+a, option+d, option+u. Again, these have right click functionality on the tracks, so you won’t lost anything by overwriting them.

The main operability shortcuts in OTR ar for Track View and Mixer View screen sets, and the Reaticulate Visibility toggle. On Mac, those are command -, command +, and command 0. Recording overdub has a special shortcut that I personally use a lot. That is command+shift+R.
Quote:
2. I would like to change the appearance of items (specificly the waveforms - I would like them to be a darker shade of their main color). However in preferences the options for customization of waveforms are greyed out. How can I do this?
There are other components of the theme I also would like to change. Which parts must not be changed?
Any theme editing will need to be done via the traditional Walter method. Duplicate the OTR 2 reaperThemeZip file. Rename the extension to ZIP. Unpack it. Edit the files inside. Recompress it. Rename the extension to reaperThemeZip. Set the theme in OTR to your new theme. That said, I will say that editing the rtconfig file will not be as trivial as it once was with other themes. Most of the functionality that once required prefixes and suffixes on track names is now embedded into track layouts. This means that instead of the usual handful of places in the rtconfig file to edit a color, it is going to be replicated potentially hundreds of times due to the numerous track layout. Find ALl/Replace All might work though. Alternatively, you may get away with a simple theme edit by replacing the overlay PNG for the waveforms in the theme bundle. You will have to do this for each of the track layouts you want to affect though… so keep that in mind. But, if you go this route, this particular PNG might be a global PNG in the main folder that affects all tracks equally.

All TCP and MCP names must stay the same and not be deleted from the rtconfig file in order for OTR to operate properly. Other than that, you can change the theme components/details any way you see fit.
Quote:
3. How can I change the default colors in OTR? At fist glance they are way too saturated for my taste and I would like to try some different tones.
The OTR palette is hardcoded in an OTR preferences LUA script. The colors are managed in the scripts file: Storyteller_OtrDefaults.lua. If you know the RGB HEX values you want, you can change them there. Each of the menu buttons is assigned to a script which, in turn, assigns the track to a particular color number 001 to 032. The color section in the preferences file can be found beginning on line 3702. Keep in mind that windows and Macs order the RGBHEX values differently. Make sure you stay consistent with the current format (Mac based order). The OTR code converts it properly between windows and Mac operating systems.

The icons on the buttons have to be manually created unfortunately. You can find the icons in the Data/toolbar folder. File names look like "OTR COLORS Palette001 Color001.png.” Just change the color of each one and save them.
Quote:
4. Is there a method for the choice of colors 021 - 032? They seem random to me after the rainbow scheme of the preceding colors. xD
Same as previous answer to #3. You can customize them if you’d like. Follow the process above.
Quote:
5. I heavily rely on Julian Saders Midi scripts. The "Read First" PDF mentions, that OTR uses custom versions and updates might brake functionality. I also like to use other scripts. Not being able to update them seems to be a bummer. Why needs OTR to change up these scripts?

Thanks man
This was put in there more as a catch all for my previous work. I know with Julian’s scripts I hardcoded keyboard shortcuts in a few of them. I don’t think I changed anything else, but it has been over four years since I did that. OTRv1 videos referenced those keyboard shortcut changes. If you are okay with using his current iteration of the scripts without the OTR keyboard shortcuts, you should be able to update them just fine.

I did have to manually change a couple things in Scythe reapack files since it had a few bugs in the code. Updating those files in Reapack will definitely cause the OTR GUI to glitch out in ways you will discover. I also hard-coded a few other lines into the files so they auto launched rather than relying upon a user to launch them when referenced in other files.

I manually changed the Reaticulate defaults for chasing midi CCs. Updating Reaticulate will cause that to reset. I don’t think I changed anything else, but I wanted to be safe with that suggestion.

So overall, it is important to not update these scripts. You should be safe with Julian’s script though… barring the comments above.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #11
CQrity

Sounds great! Thank you

Unfortunately I can't seem to recompress the unziped theme. I always get a white UI with some missing elements. Strange.

Edit: Found the solution. I was compressing the unzipped folder. Turns out I need to go into the unpacked folder and zip the folder and the Reaper theme file. Nice.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:57 PM   #12
_Stevie_

Quote:
Good Q’s! Jason (the developer of Reaticulate) blocked off a set of banks for me to use with OTR (totaling over 3000 distinct articulation maps of up to 128 articulations each)..
Thanks, this is great info! Looking forward to test this
Old 07-29-2021, 03:40 PM   #13
winknotes

I downloaded this and started taking a look. I wondered if you have output files for Vienna Ensemble and/or Vienna Ensemble Pro? I'm guessing the process would be similar to setting up Kontakt?

Steve
winknotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:31 PM   #14
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by winknotes View Post
I downloaded this and started taking a look. I wondered if you have output files for Vienna Ensemble and/or Vienna Ensemble Pro? I'm guessing the process would be similar to setting up Kontakt?

Steve
There are Vienna Ensemble Pro templates in the OTR track template folder. You could also use generic templates as well and just put VEPro on the track. They should be pretty straight-forward, but I'd be happy to help you set it up if you shoot me an email.

Regarding the output presets (assuming you are talking about how Kontakt is setup with the included output preset mapping that you have to install)... that is a little trickier with VEPro than Kontakt. With Kontakt, there are a set number of outputs that can potentially be used. With Vienna Ensemble Pro, you can choose how many you want with each instance, etc. With my personal setup, I have chosen to use a large number of instances that are each stereo outs spread across multiple VEPro servers... Basically, I treat each instrument on a track as an instance in VEPro that just has a stereo output. I have midi faders mapped to the instrument as well as a Reaticulate Articulation Map setup so I can keep the instrument to just one track, but have complete control of all the articulations.

If you have any challenges with it, let me know or post here and I will help get you going with it.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:24 PM   #15
storyteller

UPDATE ON A SMALL BUG FIX
If you happened to download OTR2 during the first few days of it's release, there was a small bug on one of the color menus. I've since updated the ZIP file on the website, but you don't have to re-download the bundle again to fix the bug. The description of the bug and fix is below:

BUG:
Color 011 (a turquoise) in the OTR main color palette applies color 003 (an orange color) instead.

FIX:
Navigate to the scripts folder. Open Storyteller_OtrDefaults.lua and change the color on line 3223 (e.g. color 011) to “00FFF0.”

Apologies for that bug! Thanks to the user who caught it!
Old 07-31-2021, 04:40 PM   #16
Freiin

I bought OTR v1 and it saved my life a lot of times!

Can't wait to test this v2.

Thanks for your work

https://www.youtube.com/BlackDollMurder
Freiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #17
Sulblk

Default Unable to load OTR

I apologize for this post. However--using windows--re-scanning VST's and even trying to load the path of the OTR folder in Reaper vst folder will not bring the OTR2 up. I have to manually go into the show Reaper path and click on the Reaper icon in order to get OTR to come up. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have watched the video on the install--read the PDF on the install and still no luck. So when I go to the project templates in a regular Reaper, none of the OTR templates will show. I do have it installed in its own folder at: User-AppData-Roaming-Reaper Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Sulblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #18
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulblk View Post
I apologize for this post. However--using windows--re-scanning VST's and even trying to load the path of the OTR folder in Reaper vst folder will not bring the OTR2 up. I have to manually go into the show Reaper path and click on the Reaper icon in order to get OTR to come up. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have watched the video on the install--read the PDF on the install and still no luck. So when I go to the project templates in a regular Reaper, none of the OTR templates will show. I do have it installed in its own folder at: User-AppData-Roaming-Reaper Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Shoot me an email at support@storyteller.im and I’d be happy to setup a zoom screen share session with you to get it going. But, please double check on your installation process. The OTR download is its own portable install. Wherever you move the folder to on windows, all you have to do is click on the reaper.exe to launch it. Per the manual, you will have to tell it your VST path in reaper/preferences. It doesn’t integrate with any other copy of reaper you have on your pc since it is its own self-contained folder with all of the Reaper executables and user files inside of it. It sounds like you may be trying to get it to work with another installation of reaper you have, possibly?

Also, I’m not quite sure why you have it in the app data roaming folder since that is not intended for apps to be installed there on Windows. That could likely be part of the problem as well.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #19
Sulblk

Default Thank you so much

Quote:
Shoot me an email at support@storyteller.im and I’d be happy to setup a zoom screen share session with you to get it going. But, please double check on your installation process. The OTR download is its own portable install. Wherever you move the folder to on windows, all you have to do is click on the reaper.exe to launch it. Per the manual, you will have to tell it your VST path in reaper/preferences. It doesn’t integrate with any other copy of reaper you have on your pc since it is its own self-contained folder with all of the Reaper executables and user files inside of it. It sounds like you may be trying to get it to work with another installation of reaper you have, possibly?

Also, I’m not quite sure why you have it in the app data roaming folder since that is not intended for apps to be installed there on Windows. That could likely be part of the problem as well.
I am going to try and reinstall Monday morning..and see what in the devil I am doing wrong. I will check the Reaper preferences. I do believe I am trying to use it with just clicking the Reaper icon on my desktop and expecting it work. I will back up and regroup to try the path to the desk top for OTR2,
Old 08-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #20
storyteller

Quote:
I am going to try and reinstall Monday morning..and see what in the devil I am doing wrong. I will check the Reaper preferences. I do believe I am trying to use it with just clicking the Reaper icon on my desktop and expecting it work. I will back up and regroup to try the path to the desk top for OTR2,
Rock on! That definitely sounds like the issue. The regular Reaper icon you already have will try to launch the copy of Reaper you had previously installed. That copy is unrelated to OTR. The OTR bundle is a portable install of Reaper which includes the Reaper exe already setup within the folder. It functions independently. So you will need to launch the Reaper.exe file located in the OTR folder, or make a shortcut to that file and place it on your desktop. Call it something like “OTR” rather than Reaper to keep your two versions separate. :-)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #21
Sulblk

Quote:
Rock on! That definitely sounds like the issue. The regular Reaper icon you already have will try to launch the copy of Reaper you had previously installed. That copy is unrelated to OTR. The OTR bundle is a portable install of Reaper which includes the Reaper exe already setup within the folder. It functions independently. So you will need to launch the Reaper.exe file located in the OTR folder, or make a shortcut to that file and place it on your desktop. Call it something like “OTR” rather than Reaper to keep your two versions separate. :-)
Thank you so much for your patience and responses! It dawned on me when you said create the shortcut---smh...I have no idea what I was thinking. In any case, I have the shortcut, manually re scanned the vst's and only ran into Flux being the only one that would not re scan properly. I uninstalled it, restarted the computer and looks like I am in business. Again thank you. I will be watching your tutorials.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #22
Kabraxis

WOW.
You made an Articulation Manager for Reaticulate!?

JUST WOW.
Kabraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #23
storyteller

Quote:
Thank you so much for your patience and responses! It dawned on me when you said create the shortcut---smh...I have no idea what I was thinking. In any case, I have the shortcut, manually re scanned the vst's and only ran into Flux being the only one that would not re scan properly. I uninstalled it, restarted the computer and looks like I am in business. Again thank you. I will be watching your tutorials.
No problem! Ha. It happens. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #24
storyteller

Default OTR REATICULATE GUI EDITOR NOTES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabraxis View Post
WOW.
You made an Articulation Manager for Reaticulate!?

JUST WOW.
I mean, if I was going to integrate Reaticulate in my own workflow, I had to have a solution to getting all of those maps setup, right?

That said, I will be putting out more videos regarding the Reaticulate Editor. It is pretty self-explanatory though. But between now and then, here are a few important items on it:
  • Tte Editor does require you to close out and reopen it for each bank you create, otherwise, it will just modify the existing bank you are adding. This was done for speed in the Bank creation process.
  • There is not currently a sort function for how the articulations display in the Reaticulate GUI after they have been created. I do plan to add that in at a later point. I didn't see a good way to do that with the Scythe API at the time. But I do plan to revisit it. So for now, the articulations will appear in the order they are added.
  • Skipping articulation slots in the Editor will skip those same program numbers in the save file. Seems self explanatory, but I thought I would add it. This means that if you put an articulation on Row 1 and another on Row 128, then when you go to edit the articulations in the Editor at a later point, they will appear on rows 1 and 128 (e.g. they will not condense down to the first two articulation slots in the editor)
  • The Editor will only modify banks created with OTR
  • You can copy/paste any current articulations sets you have into the Reaticulate.reabank file and it will still function as expected. The only caveat is that your pre-existing articulations need to have followed the Reaticulate guide for user MSB numbers... meaning all of your user banks must have an MSB under 64.
  • @tack - the creator of Reaticulate, graciously allotted a group of his system bank numbers for OTR. This is how OTR knows which banks were created with the OTR Reaticulate Editor.
  • If you choose the Midi Channel option of using it with Flexrouter, your will need to use the Flexrouter Kontakt Multi scripts provided in the OTR/Extras folder. Load those multis in Kontakt first, then add your instruments.
  • You have two Flexrouter Kontakt multi options. This provides you with the flexibility to determine which multi will work best with your particular Kontakt instrument out of the box. For example, the C-2 Flexrouter template uses Note 0 on the keyboard (e.g. Note C-2) to do some magic conversion stuff in Kontakt to make use of all 64 potential midi channels. If your Kontakt instrument uses C-2 as a key switch, then you would not want to select this Flexrouter NKM. Instead, you'd pick the CC117 NKM. But the same logic applies there too. If your Kontakt instrument uses CC117 internally, you'd need to choose the Flexrouter NKM.
  • Most Kontakt instruments allow for you to change Keyswitch numbers or CCs. Therefore, if you have an instrument that would typically prevent you from using either of the provided Flexrouter NKMs, then you could instead, change the settings in the Kontakt instrument so there is not any interference in using C-2 or CC117.
  • For speed in the editor, you can choose a select box and type the value in to select it.
  • The Editor uses a subset of all of Reaticulate's potential. Therefore, you may have to think about how to use the Editor's features rather than think about how to do something in Reaticulate. Trust me, this is the most efficient creation process.
  • If an instrument requires multiple Note-Hold values, you can instead use the Note-Hold value in the editor, and a CC value.... Then place the included JS OTR Midi CC to Note Hold mapper plugin on the track and configure it. This is helpful for an instrument like Bohemian Violin/Cello, but would be a rare use case.
  • Some instruments in Kontakt that might require two KS Notes or two Note-Holds can use the two Note options in the Editor (even though one of the values in the editor specifies Note Hold, while the other specifies Keyswitch). This is due to how the Kontakt instrument is programmed. So, experiment with the Editor first to see if it achieves the results you seek before trying the JS Helper route.
  • If you are stumped on mapping, consider adding a second copy of the Kontakt NKI (or relative sampler) inside Kontakt itself. Use one NKI for part of the configuration, the other NKI for the rest of your map. An example would be if there is a toggle in the Kontakt GUI that is only user-switchable or would require another MIDI CC Value that may be unavailable in the Editor. Simply add one NKI with the switch toggled to Midi Channel 1 in Kontakt. Add a second NKI to Midi Channel 2.
  • Similar to the previous bullet point, if an instrument uses an on/off Note KS toggle, then you will need to place two copies of the instrument in Kontakt... each on separate midi channels... one with the toggle enabled, the other with the other toggle value. Currently the Editor does not allow for Note on/off toggling other than this method. Again, this is how you think about using the Editor's features rather than deciding that the editor cannot do something. I have yet to meet a use-case that cannot be resolved by using this type of method.
  • There are roughly 4400 Reaticulate banks available in the OTR Reaticulate Editor based on the MSB/LSB combos that were allowed to OTR by @tack. This means that there are 4400 specifically mapped instruments of 128 articulations each available to you. That's a ton of mappings.
  • OTR has a number of prebuilt "templates" used to help you quickly build a typical articulation map
  • OTR also has a generic articulation slot that occupies the Reaticulate window when you do only have one Articulation in the instrument. This might seem like an excessive thing to have in your template, but as far as workflow is concerned, this makes it easy on the eyes to understand when a track with Reaticulate on it has been MAPPED or whether it needs an articulation to be chosen or is yet to be mapped. When I have an instrument that I have verified there is only one articulation, I add this generic articulation map to the reticulate instance since it is always floating on my screen.
  • For speed, leaving a CC Value or Note Velocity as "-" will default to a value of 127
  • If I think of anything else, I will add it here

Last edited by storyteller; 08-21-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:18 PM   #25
mark5009

Quote:
That said, I will be putting out more videos regarding the Reaticulate Editor. It is pretty self-explanatory though.
Thanks for this wonderful template! I've been away from Reaper for sometime and this addition is just the thing to make me come back and stay!

One thing I'm unsure about is the articulations. Given there are existing reabanks for some of the libraries I want to use (Spitfire's BBCSO, 8Dio Requiem Pro), what is needed to get this stuff into OTR2? Is it simply a matter of editing one of the user templates?

Thanks
mark5009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:07 AM   #26
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5009 View Post
Thanks for this wonderful template! I've been away from Reaper for sometime and this addition is just the thing to make me come back and stay!

One thing I'm unsure about is the articulations. Given there are existing reabanks for some of the libraries I want to use (Spitfire's BBCSO, 8Dio Requiem Pro), what is needed to get this stuff into OTR2? Is it simply a matter of editing one of the user templates?

Thanks
Hey Mark! Thanks you! Glad you are enjoying the template! As for Reaticulate, if a system bank already exists, or a user bank exists for a particular library, feel free to just copy/paste it into the Reaticulate.reabank file. As long as the MSB/LSB combination are not being used and remain in the "user" range of under 64, there will not be a problem.

The Editor for Reaticulate in OTR, however, will only allow you to edit banks that have been created with the Editor. If you want to create your own, the Editor is the way to go! Super quick and easy.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:28 AM   #27
mark5009

Quote:
As long as the MSB/LSB combination are not being used and remain in the "user" range of under 64, there will not be a problem.
Worked like a charm! Thanks again for setting up this template, it really helps.

.. m.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:21 AM   #28
storyteller

Quote:
Worked like a charm! Thanks again for setting up this template, it really helps.

.. m.
Great to hear!
Old 08-10-2021, 08:10 PM   #29
mark5009

I've been having some fun setting a few libraries up using the reaticulate editor. On the whole it does an excellent job and certainly beats doing the thing by hand. Thank you! Magic!

One of the issues I've noticed is that when you "New from Existing" or an "Edit from Existing" you lose the icons. In my case they default to "vibrato-rachmaninoff" (the last item in the list), which is not quite what I'm after :-).

On the "icon images" selection, is there a way of editing/adding to this list if an articulation I'm after isn't on the list?

Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2021, 10:13 PM   #30
storyteller

Quote:
I've been having some fun setting a few libraries up using the reaticulate editor. On the whole it does an excellent job and certainly beats doing the thing by hand. Thank you! Magic!

One of the issues I've noticed is that when you "New from Existing" or an "Edit from Existing" you lose the icons. In my case they default to "vibrato-rachmaninoff" (the last item in the list), which is not quite what I'm after :-).

On the "icon images" selection, is there a way of editing/adding to this list if an articulation I'm after isn't on the list?

Thanks again!
Hey Mark Glad you are enjoying the Reaticulate Editor. I will look into the issue with the New/Edit From Existing icons. Truth be told, ever since I built the editor, I've just used the default for all of mine, so that could have slipped through my personal testing. I will get that resolved though. BTW, which articulation are you not seeing on the list? I thought I added all of the available icon articulations that were on Reaticulate's website, but some might have been missed.

If you are looking to add an articulation icon not on Reaticulate's website, that'd be more tricky since the Reaticulate plugin contains the icons already required and the OTR code is factored around Reaticulate's factory icon list. But would it be possible? Yes... though probably not a fun mod in the scripts. I can point you to where the scripts would need to be changed if that is what you are after.

Let me know about the missing one though - and I will also check the code on icons as soon as I get the chance.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:59 PM   #31
mark5009

Quote:
If you are looking to add an articulation icon not on Reaticulate's website,
Ah, I should have looked! I was dealing with a sketching orchestra library that has some oddball articulations is all. Safest to stick to the default, it'll make life easier, I think!

Back to populating my simple version... :-)
Old 08-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #32
storyteller

Just a little PSA...

If you are using the Standard template in OTR2 and also attempting to use one of the "OTR Mapped" track templates and are not getting sound out of any of the channels from Kontakt other than the "Mixed" output position, then you have downloaded one of the early release zip files from the OTR website and you will need to:
  • Open the Standard Project Template (and/or Sample Project)
  • Click on the first VI-Category tracks in the project template.
  • Click on the routing icon in the bottom left of the screen... located on the vertical track
  • Unmute the sends.
  • Click on the Up-FX icon on the main toolbar (this copies the send routing)
  • Highlight all of the other VI-Category tracks
  • Click the Down-FX icon on the main toolbar (this replaces the send routing with the unmuted ones)
  • Resave the project template
Alternatively, you can download a repacked version of OTR2 from the website. Essentially, the project templates that made it into the download package had some sends muted that were not supposed to be muted. Apologies for that, but it is an easy fix if you don't want to go about re-downloading and setting up OTR2 again.

Last edited by storyteller; 08-15-2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #33
storyteller

Hey guys and gals -

The bug that was noted earlier in the thread with the icons and colors not populating correctly in the Reaticulate Editor has been fixed. You can download a new OTR2 zip from the website, or if you are handy with a text editor, you can change the code in your existing installation yourself. Basically a block of code in each of four files needs replaced. Here is the solution:

In the following files, you will need to change the block of code that mirrors the code structure below from approximately lines 660 - 683 with the following:

Files:
Storyteller_GUI_Reaticulate Delete Existing.lua
Storyteller_GUI_Reaticulate New From Existing.lua
Storyteller_GUI_Reaticulate New Blank.lua
Storyteller_GUI_Reaticulate Edit Existing.lua

Replacement Code:
Code:
            --get icon index
			for j=1, #selectlist_ReaDefaultIcons do
				if ART_i == selectlist_ReaDefaultIcons[j] then
					--set variable
					OTR_Art_Icon = j
					--override to display "Default" for list
					if ART_i == "list" then
						OTR_Art_Icon = 1
					end
				end
			end

--get color index
			for j=1, #selectlist_ReaDefaultColors do
				if ART_c == selectlist_ReaDefaultColors[j] then
					--set variable
					OTR_Art_Color = j
					--override to display "Default" for list  selectlist_ReaDefaultColorsDesc
					if ART_i == "default" then
						OTR_Art_Color = 1
					end
				end
			end
The download now also includes the freely available MMC Locate JS plugin for Midi Machine Control as well as an updated page in the manual which includes the Reaticulate Editor quick tips section I included earlier in this thread.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:20 AM   #34
Kitosch

Hi, this looks very much like what I would love to use, but I'm on the native Linux version of Reaper. Any chance of getting OTR2 up and running there in the not too distant future? Or is there even a way already that I missed?

Thank you very much!
Kitosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:14 AM   #35
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitosch View Post
Hi, this looks very much like what I would love to use, but I'm on the native Linux version of Reaper. Any chance of getting OTR2 up and running there in the not too distant future? Or is there even a way already that I missed?

Thank you very much!
Hey Kitosch. While I haven’t tested the Linux version with OTR v2, I know users were successful with OTRv1, so it should work out just fine. If you follow the Mac installer process, but use the Linux installer from Reaper.fm rather than the Mac installer, I would expect them to be very similar. If the Linux version does not allow for portable installs, you may have to copy the OTR project folder into the location of Linux’s App Data folder for the Reaper installation. I’m sort of talking blind here, but macOS was designed from a Linux core foundation, so I would think they should be similar.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #36
Kitosch

Thank you for the quick reply. I shall investigate further this coming weekend. It sounds manageable indeed. :-)
Kitosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #37
GeneralMidi

This looks awesome.

I have many track templates already set up with kontakt instruments, flex router and reaticulate. Is it possible to integrate these templates into otr2?
GeneralMidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:00 PM   #38
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMidi View Post
This looks awesome.

I have many track templates already set up with kontakt instruments, flex router and reaticulate. Is it possible to integrate these templates into otr2?
Yep! Just copy your Reaticulate banks into the main reabank file and those should work as expected. The Reaticulate Editor GUI, however, will only be able to edit reabanks created with the GUI itself... so know that going into it.

OTR 2 has its own implementation of Flexrouter, but your existing configuration should still work as expected. If you want to ensure a 1 to 1 transfer, also check reabank.lua and make sure the default midi chase CCs are the same. I altered this for most workflows.... but if you have been doing any customization, you may want to check on that setting as well.

As for your saved track templates, they should automatically convert over if they are already loaded in an OTR project. However, for the track templates themselves, you will need to load them into a blank project, press the OTR Prefs menu button to invoke the OTRv1 to OTRv2 converter. Then you will need to resave them with the new OTR information. The short explanation of why they need to be converted over to OTRv2 and resaved is that the track templates need to have the proper track layouts assigned to them, as well as proper icon and metadata added in order for it to function as expected in the OTRv2 template.

If it were me, I'd open a blank project, then drag and drop every track template I have into the blank project, run the converter, then save each one manually. Hope this helps! If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to reach out.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:11 AM   #39
GeneralMidi

Thanks for the info! But I'm not using OTR1. I don't need to convert track templates. I was just wondering, from a normal reaper installation, can I easily use track templates that I already created? Is there routing I should change before saving as an OTR2 track template?

e.g. I have a trumpet kontakt inst with flexrouter and reaticulate already saved as a track template. But no complex routing. Just out Stereo 1&2. If I wanted to bring that into OTR2 to be available and make use of all that OTR2 has to offer, would you offer any advice for how you would do that? I have installed the kontakt output presets, so I imagine I should change that in kontakt, and then resave? Anything else with stems or anything like that? Sorry, just getting to grips with this. I really love the idea, and want to make use of all the functionality!

Thank you again for all the time and effort you've put into this!
GeneralMidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:03 AM   #40
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMidi View Post
Thanks for the info! But I'm not using OTR1. I don't need to convert track templates. I was just wondering, from a normal reaper installation, can I easily use track templates that I already created? Is there routing I should change before saving as an OTR2 track template?

e.g. I have a trumpet kontakt inst with flexrouter and reaticulate already saved as a track template. But no complex routing. Just out Stereo 1&2. If I wanted to bring that into OTR2 to be available and make use of all that OTR2 has to offer, would you offer any advice for how you would do that? I have installed the kontakt output presets, so I imagine I should change that in kontakt, and then resave? Anything else with stems or anything like that? Sorry, just getting to grips with this. I really love the idea, and want to make use of all the functionality!

Thank you again for all the time and effort you've put into this!
Oh I see now. Well, I would expect almost any track routing to work correctly as you have it setup in your pre-existing track templates. Truth be told, even the Kontakt presets wouldn't be required... they just help with the visualization of how the outputs flow.

The immediate issue that you might have is the enabling/disabling/freezing/rendering process and visualization toggles are dependent on the track metadata from the included track templates in OTR. Now, there would be a really simple way to resolve this using the OTR2 developer tools flyout menu (which is why it is there, albeit there is no documentation on that menu as of yet), but it would probably be best to walk you through that via zoom screen share or via email when it requires any complex routing changes to the track layouts (and sometimes icons) on each track in your track template... At a minimum, at least changing the single track in each template that contains the VI. If you want to experiment with it, right click on the VI track and choose OTR2 Developer Menu > Change TCP and MCP track layouts > General > VI-S. This selection is identifying the track as a single stereo track with a VI instrument on it. Then, change the icon with the same menu to Active Icon. You should then be able to change freeze/render/disable/enable the track with the OTR2 shortcuts. That is not a perfect solution, but absent of email or zoom explanations, that should get you there from a functionality perspective. On a stereo track, that is all there is to it. With more complex routing, there are more actions to be taken with those menus. Just resave the track template after you have changed those two settings.

email is support@storyteller.im

Last edited by storyteller; 09-10-2021 at 09:42 AM.