COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 08-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
DKDiveDude
Human being with feelings

Default Seems Steinberg have changed some filenames in their SDK

I am just starting out with iPlug2, so please forgive if I may have done something wrong during my iPlug2 dependency (SDK) setup, or this has been reported before.

First off all I could not find a specific "IPlug 2" Windows setup video tutorial, but only an old one for "IPlug".

Using Visual Studio 2019, I do get a note when opening MyNewPlugin.sln, after making a duplicate of iPlugEffect, which says "Review Solutions Actions. Retarget Projects, The following projects use an earlier version of the Visual C++ platform toolset.......".

Anyways I am able to compile and run MyNewPlugin example as stand-alone fine, but not as VST2 or VST3.

Also it seems Steinberg have changed some filenames in their SDK, as I get a build fail when trying to compile MyNewPlugin into a VST2.

Specifically these two files residing at "C:\Users\NewUser\Documents\Music Production\Development\iPlug2-master\VST_SDK" had their named changed, as they are now named;
audioeffect.h and audioeffectx.h

But it seems iPlug2 expects them instead to be named;
aeffect.h and aeffectx.h

I tried simply to rename the files, but that does not do any difference, as I get the following compiler error;

1>C:\Users\NewUser\Documents\Music Production\Development\iPlug2-master\IPlug\VST2\IPlugVST2.h(20,10): error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'aeffectx.h': No such file or directory

Perhaps my VST SDK folder is not named right?

Last edited by DKDiveDude; 08-25-2019 at 05:08 PM.
DKDiveDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:33 AM   #2
olilarkin

Steinberg no longer provide the VST2 SDK inside the VST3 SDK and if you don't have a signed license you can no longer make VST2 plugins. Those files are not the same.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:03 AM   #3
DKDiveDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
Steinberg no longer provide the VST2 SDK inside the VST3 SDK and if you don't have a signed license you can no longer make VST2 plugins. Those files are not the same.
So even though the SDK I got from Steinberg contains a folder called "VST2_SDK", and an older setup video directed me to copy the two, in my first post, files from here "C:\Users\NewUser\Documents\Music Production\Development\VST_SDK\VST2_SDK\public.sdk \source\vst2.x", it will not work?

Will you please direct me to most up to date document or video for setting up IPlug2?

For example the setup video I found, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWitp7EOWVA, for the VST3 part it mentions a "VST3_SDK\base\win\base_vc10.vcproj" file, but the file nor folder is not included in the "IPlug2" zipfile from Github.

Last edited by DKDiveDude; 08-26-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:28 AM   #4
olilarkin

that video is 7 years old and uses windows XP/VS2010 and WDL-OL not iPlug2

we didn't have time to make tutorial videos yet. If you join the iPlug slack, someone recently posted a video to the channel. https://join.slack.com/t/iplug-users...DdjNGI4OTY2YTU
Old 08-26-2019, 05:36 AM   #5
DKDiveDude

Quote:
that video is 7 years old and uses windows XP/VS2010 and WDL-OL not iPlug2

we didn't have time to make tutorial videos yet. If you join the iPlug slack, someone recently posted a video to the channel. https://join.slack.com/t/iplug-users...DdjNGI4OTY2YTU
Ok thank you very much, I'll check that video out right now.

That information, the video you refer to, is to me and perhaps others absolutely vital information.

As of right now I am kind of debating whether to even bother anymore with iPlug2.

I think that if you want your platform to have a more wide spread adaptation, you should as soon as possible update the documentation to, at least via text, some clear setup instructions.

Last edited by DKDiveDude; 08-26-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:44 AM   #6
olilarkin

Feel free to use something else.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:59 AM   #7
DKDiveDude

Quote:
Feel free to use something else.
Ok it appears you took this the wrong way.

I do understand I have the right to choose, and if I have to spend a lot more time on this just to get started, I may well do!

My point however, is that others who are considering your platform and run in to the same problem may feel the same. I would not think you would be interested in that.

Which is why I am suggesting you make documentation, especially setting the platform up to work for Windows and Mac, your priority.

Am I being totally unreasonable here?

Did I miss something in the included files and documentation from Github, that would have explained even vaguely how to set it up. If I did please accept my apology and direct me to that document in your package?
Old 08-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #8
olilarkin

I plan to make new videos soon, but as I'm sure you can understand with your many years of experience this is a huge (non-commercial) project and documentation tends to get pushed to the back of the line, until the thing itself is ready. writing on this forum seems a lot more time-consuming than answering questions quickly on the slack channel so if you really can't work it out better off asking there
Old 08-26-2019, 06:36 AM   #9
olilarkin

I'm not normally this grumpy just dealing with macOS 10.15 notarization... which is enough to drive anyone mad. join the slack and we'll help you get iPlug2 set up
Old 08-26-2019, 06:44 AM   #10
DKDiveDude

Quote:
I'm not normally this grumpy just dealing with macOS 10.15 notarization... which is enough to drive anyone mad. join the slack and we'll help you get iPlug2 set up
Ok thank you very much I joined slack, and find the video you referred to very helpful