Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #1
cohler
Human being with feelings

Default gfx.drawstr not working on Windows with string height above 255px

gfx.drawstr appears not to be working on Windows with string height (as returned by gfx.measurestr) greater than 255.

It works fine on Mac.

Is this a known bug?
cohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

It works for me.

Code:
gfx.init(bigasstext,1900,900)
gfx.setfont(1, "Verdana", 900)
gfx.drawstr("hello")
Old 06-29-2020, 05:58 AM   #3
cohler

Default Thank you for that response

Thank you @White Tie for the response. Yes, I see that gfx.drawstr works in that simplified context.

Please see this post https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2311529 for a complete explanation of the problem including code example and LICEcap videos on both OS X and Windows.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-29-2020, 06:38 AM   #4
lb0

I have also come across this limit years ago when starting on the Stripper script (only use Windows here).

Never solved it - just limited text size to 255 in the script.

the fact that the actual limit is 255 suggests it may be a word length problem? Maybe windows/reaper is limiting the font size value to 8 bits under certain circumstances?
lb0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #5
cohler

I agree @Ib0 that it must be related to some data structure that is one-byte (i.e. 0-255), but as @White Tie demonstrated it is not the gfx.drawstr function itself. The Lokasenna GUI software uses gfx.drawstr to render the text.

It does, however, render it to an off-screen buffer, and then later uses gfx.blit to display the already rendered image buffer on screen.

I wonder if this 255 limit applies only to gfx.drawstr when rendering to off-screen buffers? I will try to test that...
Old 06-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
cohler

Default DEFINITE BUG: in gfx.drawstr

This code snippet demonstrates a bug in gfx.drawstr that occurs only on Windows and only when writing to an off-screen buffer.

If you set font size greater than 255 when writing to an off-screen buffer using gfx.drawstr, nothing gets written to the buffer.

LICEcap video below showing font sizes 255 and 256 with and without buffering.

@Schwa and @Justin, please fix.

Code:
usebuff=false
size=256

gfx.init("Test window",500,500,0,650,100)
gfx.set(255,255,255)
gfx.rect(0,0,500,500)

gfx.setfont(1, "Calibri", size)
local mf,w,h = math.floor,gfx.measurestr("001")
w,h = w+1,h+1
x,y = mf((500-w)/2),mf((500-h)/2)

if usebuff then
  gfx.dest = 1
  gfx.setimgdim(1,-1,-1)
  gfx.setimgdim(1, w, h)
end

gfx.set(0,0,0)
if not usebuff then gfx.x,gfx.y=x,y end
gfx.drawstr("001")

if usebuff then
  gfx.dest = -1
  gfx.blit(1,1,0,0,0,w,h,x,y,w,h,0,0)
end
Old 06-29-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

I have a workaround for you, but I'm afraid you're not going to like it:
  • On Windows, we use an alternate font rendering path for very large glyphs. In this case, the system font rendering trashes the alpha channel.
  • By default, gfx.blit() blits with alpha channel. You can disable this behavior by setting "gfx.mode=2" before calling gfx.blit().
Hope that helps!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
cohler

I think I see what you mean now...

I will try and let you know, if that work around will work...
Old 06-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #9
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I have a workaround for you, but I'm afraid you're not going to like it:
  • On Windows, we use an alternate font rendering path for very large glyphs. In this case, the system font rendering trashes the alpha channel.
  • By default, gfx.blit() blits with alpha channel. You can disable this behavior by setting "gfx.mode=2" before calling gfx.blit().
Hope that helps!
Is this fixable in the first place or will this workaround be necessary for the future to come?
If the latter, I'll add that info to my Reaper-docs so they'll not get lost.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #10
Justin
Administrator

I don’t think this will be fixed, as doing so would have a significant performance penalty, though perhaps we can add a helper function to make it easier to fix alpha channels.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #11
cohler

That doesn't appear to work. Can you be more specific please about the work around?

And in any case, will you fix the bug?
Old 06-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #12
cohler

255px is not a large size compared to what all the operating systems and browsers handle. It is very common to need sizes in the 1000s of pixels especially in the audio profession where we need large take counters on screen for producers, engineers, and musicians to be able to see across the room (and many other uses...).

For Windows REAPER to be limited to 255px in this regard is very 1995!
Old 06-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #13
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
I don’t think this will be fixed, as doing so would have a significant performance penalty, though perhaps we can add a helper function to make it easier to fix alpha channels.
^^^^^

@Justin

Ok, I'll add the information to my docs including a reference to your post.

Last edited by Meo-Ada Mespotine; 06-29-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
^^^^^

@Justin

Ok, I'll add the information to my docs including a reference to your post.
Thanks for documenting this!
Old 06-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #15
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohler View Post
255px is not a large size compared to what all the operating systems and browsers handle. It is very common to need sizes in the 1000s of pixels especially in the audio profession where we need large take counters on screen for producers, engineers, and musicians to be able to see across the room (and many other uses...).

For Windows REAPER to be limited to 255px in this regard is very 1995!
It can draw larger sizes, it just doesn't correctly set the alpha channel.
Here is a modified version of your test script which works around the issue:
Code:
usebuff=true
size=256

gfx.init("Test window",500,500,0,650,100)
gfx.set(255,255,255)
gfx.rect(0,0,500,500)

gfx.setfont(1, "Calibri", size)
local mf,w,h = math.floor,gfx.measurestr("001")
w,h = w+1,h+1
x,y = mf((500-w)/2),mf((500-h)/2)

if usebuff then
  gfx.dest = 1
  gfx.setimgdim(1,-1,-1)
  gfx.setimgdim(1, w, h)
  gfx.mode = 2 -- ignore alpha channel
  gfx.blit(-1,1,0,x,y,w,h); -- copy background
end

gfx.set(0,0,0)
if not usebuff then gfx.x,gfx.y=x,y end
gfx.drawstr("001")

if usebuff then
  gfx.dest = -1
  gfx.mode = 2 -- ignore alpha channel
  gfx.blit(1,1,0,0,0,w,h,x,y,w,h,0,0)
end
If that isn't enough of an example, can you explain your use case (what are you drawing to the secondary bitmap and why, etc) in order to help you come up with a workaround?
Old 06-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #16
cohler

Thanks for your response @Justin. I actually solved it just before I saw this post of yours, but your post is very helpful for future reference.

My actual use case is that I am using the Lokasenna GUI V2 to do a few windows in my software, so I had to figure out how to recode part of its Core.lua file and Label.lua class to handle this bug, which occurs only on Windows and only with a point size greater than 255.

Since I am using limited portions of Lokasenna GUI, however, I was able to fix it with relatively little coding.

Here's the problem as I first reported it in the Lokasenna thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2311529

It seems to me, however, that you should be able to fix this in the gfx.blit code and it would be worthwhile to do so IMHO.

Why would that cause any kind of performance hit? It's a 64-bit world these days, and there's essentially no limit on font size rendering in Windows as far as I can see.

Having a one-byte font size seems to be an antiquated architecture in any case.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:51 AM   #17
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
It seems to me, however, that you should be able to fix this in the gfx.blit code and it would be worthwhile to do so IMHO.

Why would that cause any kind of performance hit? It's a 64-bit world these days, and there's essentially no limit on font size rendering in Windows as far as I can see.

Having a one-byte font size seems to be an antiquated architecture in any case.
The issue is not that the font size is represented by one byte -- the issue is that we use a different font rendering path for fonts with a size of 256 or higher, and in this path (win32 DrawTextW()) the alpha channel is set by the text rendererer to 0.

If we were to try to fix that path in gfx.drawstr(), it would involve postprocessing the rendered text, which would be extra work. And fixing in gfx.blit() is not possible, as once the text is rendered into the image the alpha channel is what it is! So live with it and use a workaround.

Save us all some time and stop telling us how to fix things that you don't understand.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #18
cohler

Quote:
Save us all some time and stop telling us how to fix things that you don't understand.
No need to get testy. I understand quite well that gfx.drawstr() has an unnecessary BUG, that could be easily fixed. It is well-known that Windows GDI does not support alpha channel, but there are some equally well-known ways to address that.

In any case, since you are unwilling to fix this bug, I and others will continue to find work-arounds.

It would be nice if you would at least document the bug so that other people don't have to waste time on it as I did for the past three days.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #19
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
In any case, since you are unwilling to fix this bug, I and others will continue to find work-arounds.
You can be pretty sure, if they could do it properly, they would do it. They're not unwillig but unable to do so. At least for the moment. Maybe things turn out to be fixable later, but not right now.

Quote:
It would be nice if you would at least document the bug so that other people don't have to waste time on it as I did for the past three days.
That's why I do docs at api.mespotine.de where I add such details if they come up and try to clear up possible confusions.

And, just an afterthought: what if no one knew about this bug until now? How could this be documented if no one knew that before?
Old 06-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #20
cohler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
You can be pretty sure, if they could do it properly, they would do it. They're not unwillig but unable to do so. At least for the moment. Maybe things turn out to be fixable later, but not right now.

That's why I do docs at api.mespotine.de where I add such details if they come up and try to clear up possible confusions.

And, just an afterthought: what if no one knew about this bug until now? How could this be documented if no one knew that before?
  1. Obviously, Justin knew all about it based on his quick and direct response. Furthermore, others posted about the problem previously as well (when I first posted, I received response from someone who ran into the same issue years ago). See https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2311734 in this thread.
  2. Where would I or others find your documentation of the bug? I see no documentation of it at https://mespotin.uber.space/Ultrasch...ua_gfx.drawstr
  3. As Justin explained, the problem is that gfx.drawstr uses a Microsoft GDI function to render text above 255-points. The lack of support for the alpha channel in the Microsoft GDI is well-known. There are simple ways to address the problem, however, documented on many sites all over the Internet. Cockos evidently just doesn't want to do so.
  4. The OS X version of REAPER handles it correctly. There's no reason Windows version could not do so as well. They simply don't want to fix it.

Last edited by cohler; 06-30-2020 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added post reference
Old 06-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #21
cfillion

Quote:
There are simple ways to address the problem, however, documented on many sites all over the Internet. Cockos evidently just doesn't want to do so.
Then fix it yourself and provide a patch that improves the large-font branch. There's a bit of code in WDL's lice_textnew.cpp's LICE_CachedFont::​DrawTextImpl that appears to be suspiciously related.

Last edited by cfillion; 06-30-2020 at 11:31 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #22
cohler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Then fix it yourself and provide a patch that improves the large-font branch. There's a bit of code in WDL's lice_textnew.cpp's LICE_CachedFont::​DrawTextImpl that appears to be suspiciously related.
I was not aware that the code was public domain, but thanks for pointing it out. I took a quick look and I see where the two relevant calls to DrawTextW are. If I get some free time in a few months, I may take a look at it. But REAPER is owned by Cockos, is it not? I would assume it would be to their financial benefit to fix their product right? I am very busy with several of my businesses at the moment.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #23
Klangfarben

Quote:
But REAPER is owned by Cockos, is it not? I would assume it would be to their financial benefit to fix their product right? I am very busy with several of my businesses at the moment.
Since you are clearly upset about Cockos' lack of bug fixes, perhaps now is an opportune time to strike out on your own and code a DAW that does everything you want. In between your multiple business ventures of course.
Klangfarben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #24
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
  1. Obviously, Justin knew all about it based on his quick and direct response.
  1. But not knew, how to fix it properly(only with performance-loss). Otherwise, he would have done it already.
    Obviously.

Quote:
  2. Where would I or others find your documentation of the bug? I see no documentation of it at https://mespotin.uber.space/Ultrasch...ua_gfx.drawstr
  3. Oh c'mon, I meant I add such issues to my docs when I come across them.
    And the one mentioned in here with Justin's workaround I added to my own sourcefiles just a few hours ago and release it, when I cleaned up some other stuff in the docs as well.
    Which will be...well...tomorrow.

As if I had already documented everything before the fact...

Quote:
  4. As Justin explained, the problem is that gfx.drawstr uses a Microsoft GDI function to render text above 255-points.
  5. The OS X version of REAPER handles it correctly. There's no reason Windows version could not do so as well.
You can't compare apples with windows. They are just the same planet, but not the same universe

Quote:
They simply don't want to fix it.
Or simply can't because of performance-issues caused by such a fix currently, as Justin pointed out.

Anyway, I'll return back to my stuff. I made my point, I think. Was just looking into the thread again for maybe some more helpful insights into the actual issue so that I could add to docs or make tools to deal with it properly.
But I think, this has been sorted out already and no new stuff emerging.