Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 06-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
brummbear
Human being with feelings

Default ReaKontrol: Komplete Kontrol Mk2 deep integration with Reaper

... moving this into the proper subforum (some history is here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=191158)

ReaKontrol Plugin Extension for Reaper
Deep DAW Integration going beyond MCU:
- Komplete Kontrol Instance Focus
- Transport Control
- Mixer Control / Control Surface Functions
- Extended Edit Control for Looping and Arranging
- Custom Actions and Scripts

This is a fork of the repository originally started by James Teh.
ReaKontrol supports Komplete Kontrol S-series Mk2 keyboards on PCs running Windows and MacOs*
A-series and M-series are supported with less functionality.

Technical Notes
The plugin is a single small file coded in C++. A strong emphasis is put on CPU efficiency. All basic functions follow NI's design intent for the officially supported DAWs to maintain maximum compatibility with future updates of NI's drivers and firmware.

Known Limitations
Reaper may crash on startup if another program has already claimed the keyboard MIDI device before Reaper starts. To avoid this, start Reaper before e.g. running stand-alone Komplete Kontrol or stand alone Maschine Software in parallel with Reaper. Once Reaper is running any number of programs using the keyboard MIDI device can run simultaneously.

Download incl manual: https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKontrol/releases
Installation: see manual (link above) or use ReaPack (https://reapack.com/)
*MacOS Users are advised to use the manual installation method rather than ReaPack. The latest release of Mac Binaries (ARM and x86) can be downloaded here: https://github.com/cheslijones/reaKo...ses/tag/Latest

Please check out the short manual. You must disable the Komplete Kontrol DAW MIDI device for ReaKontrol to work properly: Options>Preferences>Audio>MIDI Devices: The Device “Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1” (S-series) or “Komplete Kontrol A DAW” or “Komplete Kontrol M DAW” (A/M-Series) should be disabled as input and output. Leave your normal Komplete Kontrol MIDI Device enabled.

Last edited by brummbear; 03-06-2024 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Release v1.01
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:51 AM   #2
brummbear

New release available: ReaKontrol v0.93
https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...eases/tag/0.93

Changes from previous release:
+ 4D Encoder LEDs for track navigation implemented
+ Refocus bank: Also scroll TCP and MCP view in Reaper to show selected track
+ Change volume of selected track with 4D encoder: Coarse = 1dB per step, Fine = 0.1dB per step
+ Change scrubbing: move cursor to next/previous grid division
+ CLEAR button: Remove active take(s) one by one (very useful after e.g. loop recording)
+ COUNT-IN button: Start recording with a count-in
+ QUANTIZE: Toggle MIDI Input quantize for selected track (note: no visual feedback on keyboard rg quantize state)
+ LOOP & 4D Encoder rotate: Shift time selection forward/backwards

Preview for upcoming release:
The next release will introduce "Extended Edit / Arranger" functions in ReaKontrol not currently offered by NI's deep integration for any other DAW...
They will be useful when live looping, layering or quickly sketching phrases and small arrangements.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:09 AM   #3
X-Raym

Hi,

Not owner of a NI keyboard yet but many thanks for working on this, and sharing it !

As extension, it could be shared via Reapack, for best delivery to users., as they will get every update.

If you need help your repo reapack friendly, don't hesitate to contact me of cfillion and we wll help you on that.

Or you can simply propose your .dll to https://github.com/ReaTeam/Extensions at every update. So you don't have to take care of anything else than uploading the dll.

Cheers !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Regisfofo

Hi! I don't own a Komplete kontrol but I have some question.I doubt it is possible but I'll ask anyway!
Any chance we could assign the knobs to control some plugins ? Maybe via lbx smartknob ?

Cheers!
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
As extension, it could be shared via Reapack, for best delivery to users., as they will get every update.
Good point - will put it on Reapack too (I already have a jsfx there anyway). Thanks for the reminder
Old 07-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Slotunes

Default S49 Comes alive!

Hello, first off Thank you so much for your expertise and time!I just received a S49 Mk2 and plugged in your fix and it works great! I can now use the transport and mixer and this makes it a great well rounded package! Still learning, but makes things much easier! Thanks again!
Slotunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
themixtape

I don't own a MK2 nor plan on it, but THANKS for this. Hack these damn newer NI controllers so we can actually USE that encoder, the transport stuff, etc. Love it. Thank you for your hard work.

This is so important-- keep midi controllers COMPLETELY customizable. Completely.

High-five!!!
Old 12-29-2019, 11:14 PM   #8
BorsingPhoto

[QUOTE=brummbear;2152531]New release available: ReaKontrol v0.93
https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...eases/tag/0.93

Downloaded Reaper_Kontrol.dll today but after fiddling around with it I had to give up..

The "old" version dated [12/20/2019 09:21 PM 308KB] things like KK MK-2's Transport LED's, Rotary knob/ blue LED light (by the Mixer button)and SOLO/MUTE worked (on my system.. And yes worked again after I restored it).. Not so after having overwritten it with the newer reaper_kontrol.dll dated [12/29/2019 11:59 PM 304KB] (on my system)..

Carl..
Old 09-27-2019, 01:09 AM   #9
skylinkdave

Halp! My M32 partially works in Reaper - the knobs and transport buttons work, but the keyboard itself does not. I was able to get my M32 to work in FL Studio, but Reaper is still giving me fits. I'm including a screenshot of my MIDI settings in Reaper just to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Anyone have any other suggestions? TIA!
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper midi settings.png (27.8 KB, 862 views)
skylinkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:11 PM   #10
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinkdave View Post
Halp! My M32 partially works in Reaper - the knobs and transport buttons work, but the keyboard itself does not. I was able to get my M32 to work in FL Studio, but Reaper is still giving me fits. I'm including a screenshot of my MIDI settings in Reaper just to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Anyone have any other suggestions? TIA!
Your MIDI settings should not be the problem. Maybe something trivial? Did you set track input to the M32 MIDI, Monitor Input?
Old 10-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #11
skylinkdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
Your MIDI settings should not be the problem. Maybe something trivial? Did you set track input to the M32 MIDI, Monitor Input?
I seem to have had a little bit more success. When I enabled my M32 on a track, I was able to record some notes, but still got no sound while playing live (until I saved the audio file and played it back).

Is it possible to get a KK controller to work within Reaper, or can it only be done while recording to a track? Is this a limitation with the M32 in Reaper?

Edit/update: I installed the DrivenByMoss 4 Reaper extension and I get the exact same functionality as I do from the ReaKontrol extension. The transport controls work, the knobs work, and I can record to a track with no sound, but the keyboard itself still does not work within Reaper itself.

Edit/update #2: I turned on "Record monitoring" for the track, and I can now hear what I'm playing while recording to a track. So I'm like 75% there...

Edit/update #3: With "Record monitoring" turned on and the track armed for recording, I can now play and hear the instrument on that track even while not recording. I think that does it!

Edit/update #4: A bit of advice: Download and install the ASIO driver to remove/reduce latency.

Consider this case solved, I'm happy with how it works in Reaper now. Thank you for everything!

Last edited by skylinkdave; 10-17-2019 at 09:34 PM.
skylinkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #12
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinkdave View Post
Consider this case solved, I'm happy with how it works in Reaper now. Thank you for everything!
Glad you figured Reaper out which can take a while if you are coming from another DAW. I would suggest you still read the ReaKontrol manual, especially all the recommended Reaper settings (like Automatic Record Arm etc). These settings can enhance your workflow tremendously.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #13
Stroudy

I wouldn't know where to start myself, but is this portable to mac?

I actually spoke to a NI person where his colleagues are working on Kontrol - it seems that it'll be sometime before Reaper gets integrated.
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #14
BorsingPhoto

[QUOTE=brummbear;2150475]... moving this into the proper subforum (some history is here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=191158)

ReaKontrol Plugin Extension for Reaper
Deep DAW Integration going beyond MCU:

Fantastic work

Renewed my REAPER License after REAPER V6 where released.. I've been using MAGIX Pro X4 SUITE and it's dual engines (I.E BlowTools.)
However PRO X4 won't even perform w/o clicks, pops and other mischief, using ONE intance of Komplete Kontrol / 16 VI's.. (Which is unacceptable on my 64MB 16 Core RYZEN Threadripper System)

RE-Enter REAPER V6(+) because I cannot for the life in me make it pop and click despite running 16 tracks with 16 Instances of KOMPLETE KONTROL / KONTAKT 5's!

Today I found REAPER_KONTROL.dll, simply installed it in C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\User Plugins and VOILA! FINALLY Mixer, Transport, Metro/Tempo etc functionality!

One thing I find strange however, which is a couple of days ago, whilst "setting it "all" up..

Komplete KonrolDAW -1 thing disappeared, never to be seen again.. That is until I uninstalled REAPER using REVO Uninstaller PRO and re installed it again.. But now if I activated MIDI IN/OUT for KOMPLETE KONTROL -1 / KOMPLETE KONTROL EXT-1 I got a popup telling me it could not be activated.. Despite the fact it WORKED?

Anyways, it seems to be back to "normal" right now and I've read somewhere NOT to activate the KonrolDAW -1 Thing? and it works fine so far.. That is until I restarted REAPER and my Kontrol MK-II, which seemed to work again after rebooting..

Oh and MERRY CHRISTMAS/MAG as DJT says

Last edited by BorsingPhoto; 12-20-2019 at 10:42 PM.
BorsingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:54 PM   #15
brummbear

I have ReaKontrol working flawlessly with Reaper 6.02. However, I can confirm that the NI drivers behave quite flaky. If MIDI devices disappear ReaKontrol is not to blame... it is those unstable NI driver's. As you experienced you may have to reboot Windows if things don't work initially. Once Reaper is running and ReaKontrol recognizes the keyboard via the NIHIA service everything should be rock stable.

Irrespective of the above I may be able to make the recognition in ReaKontrol more robust, but this still requires the NI drivers to run properly in the first place.

Regarding your question how to configure the Komplete Kontrol MIDI devices in Reaper: Please check out ReaKontrol's manual for answers to these questions (link in the first post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorsingPhoto View Post
[Oh and MERRY CHRISTMAS/MAG as DJT says
Hoping we can make this world an open and better place by treating everybody and our planet respectfully, sharing (incl such little things like audio plugins..) and leaving preachers of fear and hatred behind. Happy Holidays!!

Last edited by brummbear; 12-21-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:26 AM   #16
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
A-series and M-series are supported with less functionality.
Just a slightly related question to the experts:

Is the NIHostIntegrationAgent and / or ReaKontrol only really viable for "S" keyboards or also for "A"s ?

I recommended an A49 to a friend of mine, and would like to have him use the Controls with Reaper.

As he is very up to speed with software and Reaper, he also could do the configuration files for CSI, if it's possible to get the communication between CSI and the keyboard decently going.

Thanks !
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-21-2019 at 03:49 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #17
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Just a slightly related question to the experts:

Is the NIHostIntegrationAgent and / or ReaKontrol only really viable for "S" keyboards or also for "A"s ?

I recommended an A49 to a friend of mine, and would like to have him use the Controls with Reaper.

As he is very up to speed with software and Reaper, he also could do the configuration files for CSI, if it's possible to get the communication between CSWI and the keyboard decently going.

Thanks !
-Michael
I have not tested ReaKontrol with A or M series, but it should also work (obviously with less functions due to the reduced HW features in the keyboard itself).

And of course your friend can also use all the other modes available:
- Out of the box it should support the MCU protocol for transport (although NI only implemented the bare minimum). Use it directly with Reaper's built in MCU support or route it through CSI.
- he can use the extended NI MIDI and SysEx commands by sending the HELLO command to the keyboard. In that case MCU is disabled but he has more control over how to use the buttons. Again, can route it through CSI. Requires understanding NI's proprietary protocol which is easy if he looks up the sources on Github
- he can also use another plugin extension "Driven by Moss" which offers similar functionality like ReaKontrol.

It depends on what he wants to achieve. In my opinion the NI keyboards really shine in combination with the Komplete Kontrol VST and Instance Focus. It is such a great workflow, even if the HW itself (like keybed etc) may only be average.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #18
mschnell

Thanks a lot !
I will recommend him to test ReaKontrol and let you know what he finds.

If he is not happy with that I will work together with him to get the extended protocol going with CSI (as this is what I feel provides the most future-proof versatility).

(I will need to ask Geoff about how to make CSI send the "HELLO" and work with SYSEx...)

(I finally will find out about "Instance Focus" )

(As he is a guitarist and not a keyboarder I recommended the "A" over the "S", which of course is a lot more expensive.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-22-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #19
BorsingPhoto

[QUOTE=brummbear;2220881]I have ReaKontrol working flawlessly with Reaper 6.02. ...

Yes, unfortunately I'm a returning REAPER user after V6 so I'm looking forward to re-learning this now BEST DAW in the known Universe
Old 04-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #20
pianist_85

Default Native komplete kontrol a 25

Hello Brumbear

Because I am blind I pourchased a kontroller Keyboard from native Instrument If you have Instruments that supports the nks standard you can simply browse presets and you have a good speech-feedback. Could you please describe wich keys to use for advanced edit mode etc. In the manual you hafe pictures but they could not be read from the screenreader so I don't know wich button to press.
Thank you and thank you again for the great work!
pianist_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:58 PM   #21
DrFrankencopter

Weird things going on with my S61. I can get the plugin to respond to Transport control (yay), and am pretty confident I can add Loop functionality. But weird things happen when I hit the nav buttons (blue right/left arrow) on the keyboard.

As soon as I do that all the transport lights on the S61 go dark. But what's even weirder still is that the plugin does not see any MIDI messages from the nav light button press. I've looked at the Ableton scripts, and the code is looking for the right midi message, and in fact it will spit any received incoming message to the console. But is shows nothing when the nav buttons are pressed!

EDIT: It gets even more interesting. If I launch Komplete Kontrol standalone, the only transport button that works is record (though it sees FFW and RWD). It seems that Komplete Kontrol intercepts everything else.

Without the Nav Buttons able to be seen by the plugin there isn't really much that can be done. The best I can hope for is being able to light up the transport LEDs. As it is, the functionality in the mcu.cpp file I'm working with is less than the baseline reaper integration available by mapping the Kontrol-DAW input as a MCU control surface. Wish I had better news.

Last edited by DrFrankencopter; 04-21-2020 at 07:26 PM.
DrFrankencopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:04 AM   #22
_Stevie_

There must be some missing link somewhere. Jürgen from MOSS got the MK1 working, however I think he directly captures the USB stream instead of the MIDI stream. But I could be wrong, can't recall 100%.

In any case: does the MK1 maybe need some kind of "keep alive" MIDI pulse?
I know the Behringer devices (X-Touch) need those in order to function.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #23
DrFrankencopter

Perhaps this evening I'll try DrivenByMoss and see if my hardware works with reaper as intended. It's possible that I've got a buggy driver installation (hope so).

Alternatively I see DrivenByMoss has all his source online as well....I could try and walk through it; but it's java and I don't speak java yet.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:29 AM   #24
_Stevie_

That's a good idea. Once I'm done with work (should be tomorrow), I'll do the same and see if it works. We could contact Jürgen and ask how he did it. But maybe he is not very keen in sharing that knowledge. Not sure.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #25
terminar

Default MK1 MCU

@_Stevie_ & @DrFrankencopter
To sum the MK1 stuff and maybe give some additional feedback (because you are on the right path):

When i understand the situation correct i think you really need to tinker with jcsteh's mcu code.
---
As brummbear mentioned some posts before he has removed the MK1 test code which is still available in jcsteh's repository.
The MK1 uses a complete different control protocol than the MK2 (someone raise his voice if that's wrong). I think it's the MCU (Mackie Control Universal) protocol. There are some posts on the native instruments forum and FAQ about the MK1 MCU support. I have only found one article in german, maybe you can search for an english version. https://support.native-instruments.c...TE-KONTROL-MK1

In general, as i understood correct there was never a working MK1 version in reaKontrol, even not in the jcsteh repo. MCU seems to be transferred via the MIDI SysEx stuff. There are some repos on github which may have some general Mackie/MCU information (https://github.com/search?q=mackie). On the NI website, there are also some threads about the MK1 MCU stuff like

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...mplate.266581/

To get a working MK1 support in reaKontrol, someone owning an MK1 (or who has access to one) has to reverse engineer the MCU messages for the MK1 e.g. sniffing the messages when the MK1 is connected to Ableton or some other DAW with MK1 "Midi/MCU" support. If there is a documentation about the MCU codes used for the MK1 somewhere it may help. Then a general MK1 support needs to be hacked back into reaKontrol and then - try&error until it works.
---

TL;DR: @DrFrankencopter i think you are right and currently the only person here who has the hardware to get the MK1 support working.

@__Stevie__ You asked some posts before: I don't think that my current reverse engineering of the NIHIA/NIHA is helping to get your MK1 working.
If the MCU messages are also transported via the NIProtocol - then maybe but don't count on that. Also i can't test it, i can only test with my MK2 which is just too different.
terminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #26
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianist_85 View Post
Hello Brumbear

Because I am blind I pourchased a kontroller Keyboard from native Instrument If you have Instruments that supports the nks standard you can simply browse presets and you have a good speech-feedback. Could you please describe wich keys to use for advanced edit mode etc. In the manual you hafe pictures but they could not be read from the screenreader so I don't know wich button to press.
Thank you and thank you again for the great work!
Hello pianist_85,

I imagine your screen reader does read the text, only the pictures showing the buttons on the keyboard are a problem. Further I assume that you have figured out how the standard functions work (just like per NI official user manual).

So here come the "extended edit" functions that I implemented on top of the normal behavior:

* Activate Ext. Edit Mode = SHIFT + push 4D Encoder

Once you have entered this mode:

* Insert New Track = push 4D Encoder. Note: If you read the manual I show tips how to make Reaper always insert a track with KK on it. This may be particularly useful for you as well.

* Remove Selected Track = CLEAR

* Toggle Record Arm of Selected Track = REC

* Change Tempo in +/- 1 bpm increments = METRO followed by rotating the 4D encoder

* Change Loop Length in +/- 1 beat increments = LOOP followed by rotating the 4D encoder

Upon command execution the keyboard automatically returns to Standard Mode.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #27
brummbear

Default The Mk1 story

@Stevie @Dr Frankencopter

Basically, @terminar summed it up nicely in his earlier response (thanks for that!).

I would like to add a few things for clarity though:

* The MCU protocol has always been supported by the Mk1 (the Mk2 initially did not, but NI added a rudimentary MCU protocol at a later point also to the Mk2). When you switch on the keyboard (Mk1 or Mk2) and NIHIA is launched by your operating system the default MIDI language on the DAW port is the MCU protocol. BUT: The MCU protocol as implemented by NI does not help much for real DAW integration on the Mk2. The problem is that NI only implemented a few basics like transport control. The more interesting stuff does not work with MCU on the Mk2. On the Mk1 maybe they added some proprietary stuff even to MCU to at least make instance focus work (I don't know, but suspect that this could be the case).

* For advanced DAW integration NI introduced a new, proprietary MIDI protocol based on CC and SysEx messages. Let's call it the "NI DAW MIDI" protocol to distinguish it from ordinary MCU. In order to use this mode you have to tell NIHIA first that you want to speak this protocol rather than MCU. This is done via the HELLO command (see this thread further above). NIHIA respond with the HELLO command and the protocol version of the connected keyboard to acknowledge that it has switched to the NI DAW MIDI protocol and disabled the MCU protocol for that session. You do not need a fancy extension to test any of this: You can simply use a MIDI tool like MIDIOX or whatever and just send the HELLO command to NIHIA (well, you send it to "KOMPLETE KONTROL DAW -1" or whatever your MIDI port name is, but it ends up in NIHIA). The nice thing is that when you do this you can simply watch all the MIDI messages when you press buttons on your keyboard etc. This is what I did to reverse engineer it in conjunction with DBM sources by Jürgen.

* ReaKontrol never worked with the Mk1 although James Teh tried. The problem for him and for me always was that we do not have a Mk1 and it is terribly inefficient to code anything if you do not have the HW. This is by the way also the reason why the A and M series - while being supported - may show some tiny issues such as not 100% correctly scaled levels in Mixer mode. The A and M series use slightly different subflavors of the "NI DAW MIDI" protocol (there are 3 flavors). But all in all they are close enough to work with what has been implemented and tested for the Mk2 S series.

Since you have a Mk1 it should not be overly hard to debug what James tried early on (which I commented out and removed eventually). Once you have solved it it should be fairly easy to bring it back into ReaKontrol.

PS: The IPC communication that terminar is looking into is unrelated to Mk1 specifics. It is rather an attempt to check if we can make ReaKontrol even fancier by not just relying on the "NI DAW MIDI" protocol which was meant for DAW integration. Rather we may be able to additionally mimic being akin to a Komplete Kontrol software or Maschine software and thus gaining much more control over the buttons, screens, light guides etc. But this is still an early investigation, might turn out to be to complex... It would go way beyond just "simple" deep DAW integration.

Last edited by brummbear; 04-22-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #28
DrFrankencopter

@brummbear, thanks for the response. From the symptoms it would seem that the "HELLO" message is not getting through to my S-61, and it's just communicating with regular MIDI messages and hiding some of the buttons from me. I'll do some more digging this evening.

Yes, my plan was to do my best to get the Mk1 working in a separate file, and once it's confirmed to work it can be merged back into your main branch. Hopefully this will make the eventual re-integration easy, and should only require a simple detection logic in the main.cpp (which was already in there before).

I'm not sure what Dev Environment you're using, but I've got it building/running on Visual studio, and the debugging with reaper is nice...I can set breakpoints when midi events are received. It's helpful. I'm going to look into MidiOx too.

@terminar, thanks for your messages too. I can confirm that the basic transport functions work when using the instructions that you linked. But at least on my setup none of the track navigation nor display functioned (just showed Midi CC #'s).

Cheers!
Old 05-31-2020, 12:50 AM   #29
Appalachik

Default Is the KK61 a good choice for Reaper?

I have spent 10 very frustrating days with a brand new and dreadful Arturia Keylab Mk2. This product and the manufacturer support are poor, at best. It is boxed up ready to return to Thomann.

Every time you hit A4, (no matter where it is even moving it about with the octave keys) there is a pause before any sound!!! It is unplayable garbage. And the arrogance of their support team has to be experienced to be believed. Additionally, rapid pressing of the A4 key will trigger a number of different, useless and random behaviours in Reaper, and in Studio One Professional.

I installed it several different ways (their support had no idea... seemed they were just guessing). I suspect it is a nice looking bit of hardware, with dreadful code and a piecemeal series of software components and drivers cobbled together to make it work somewhat.

I have just found out that my Presonus Faderport 2 works absolutely perfect in Reaper (MCU) so I really only need a keyboard for its keyboard... I had hoped the Arturia would at least provide nice control of the Analog Lab 4, but even that is a complete joke on my setups... even the search box fails to take input from my Macbook keyboard!!!

If there was a.nice keyboard (really good synth feel) rather than a weighty piano action - Arturia was okay in this respect at least... anyway, a decent keybed with 49 keys minimum, and a few drum pads would be a bonus... although I guess a separate device could handle that?

I think this might be my first question here... I have tended to find my own way around Reaper, and we now have our own dedicated Ninjam server and fully encrypted chat platform that work incredibly well for jams, sessions and lessons, so Reaper is The Way Forward in our pro environment as well as in the home studio.
Appalachik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:51 AM   #30
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper forums !
I use Reaper a lot for live playing.

I happily use keyboards by Yamaha and Kawai (and Roli), but I feel that NI keyboards also will do fine, but they are especially crafted for use with the Kontrol software and hence their "interface" controls are in focus.

I seem to remember having read that they use keys by Novation so that might be an option, as well.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-31-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #31
Appalachik

Default Arturia’s Keylab Mk2 NOT Reaper friendly

Thanks for the reply Michael. Arturia even ship a Reaper overlay in the box, and claim it has mappings for Reaper thar can be configured in both their midi manager, and via the keyboard itself. Not True. Every time I set up the keyboard, it decided to change the keyboard mapping to Reason,! And it did this 30 times!

Based on my experience over 10 days, this keyboard has way too many software bugs to recommend on ANY daw. Just as an example... say you want to access rtheir Analogue Lab 4 plugins... and you quite reasonably want to search the 6,500 sounds... but not by scrolling through all of them, so you go to the box labelled “search” and it refuses to respond to keystrokes from the computer - thus, it is practically impossible to search for sounds.

How a company who can come up with a product as well designed as the Keystep can produce this Keylab Mk2 to such a poor standard is inexplicable.
Appalachik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:41 PM   #32
mschnell

I don't have an NI keyboard (but a friend of mine has), And the sound searching via Komplete Kontrol seems like the best available.

-Michael
Old 11-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #33
Antkn33

I can’t get Reakontrol for the komplete kingdom keyboard to work on macOS. I installed via reapack . The files are in the correct place. I followed the instructions in the original Windows version , disabling the DAW entry in midi settings. I rebooted the Mac for good measure.... no luck.
Latest version of reaper and macOS.
Any other ideas? Thanks.
Antkn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #34
terminar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antkn33 View Post
I can’t get Reakontrol for the komplete kingdom keyboard to work on macOS. I installed via reapack . The files are in the correct place. I followed the instructions in the original Windows version , disabling the DAW entry in midi settings. I rebooted the Mac for good measure.... no luck.
Latest version of reaper and macOS.
Any other ideas? Thanks.
Which Komplete Keyboard do you use? Do you see an error message?
Old 11-19-2020, 01:46 PM   #35
Antkn33

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminar View Post
Which Komplete Keyboard do you use? Do you see an error message?
I have the S88 MKII. No, I don't see an error message.
By contrast, I installed DrivenByMoss4Reaper and it works but the config was very different.
Thanks
Antkn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #36
terminar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antkn33 View Post
I have the S88 MKII. No, I don't see an error message.
By contrast, I installed DrivenByMoss4Reaper and it works but the config was very different.
Thanks
Do you use Catalina? Can you check the OSX security settings if the load of the library is forbidden by OSX?
Old 11-20-2020, 02:08 AM   #37
terminar

Default Tested today on OSX

I tested the current version of reakontrol which is available via Reapack on my system.

- macOS Mojave 10.14.6
- Reaper 6.15
- Reakontrol 1.00 (July 02 2020)
- Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2

Catalina warning: There may be security complains!
Quoting Musilab on the Native Instruments forum:
ReaKontrol: Komplete Kontrol Mk2 deep integration with Reaper #24

I've seen that ReaPack on Catalina wasn't opening because mac couldn't recognise the developer. It was blocked by the system.
I checked Privacy and Security on the System Preferences and allowed the file to open.

Currently, if you own a Maschine Mikro MK3, please, don't use it with reaKontrol and a Komplete Kontrol MK2 keyboard, it will get you into trouble!

1. In the Reaper preferences, check "Audio->MIDI Devices". You should see (depending on your device) "Bome Software GmbH & Co. KG - Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" or "...Komplete Kontrol A DAW" or "...Komplete Kontrol M DAW".
If you have changed some options previously, try to "Reset all MIDI devices". Select the "Bome Software..." DAW entries and disable them.

2. Install/reinstall reaKontrol via reaPack

3. Restart Reaper

4. On Catalina (as mentioned above) check the macOS security settings and allow that library/application

5. Restart Reaper

Everything should work now as expected.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #38
terminar

Default Next milestone: pad, button, know, touchstrip parser code; windows sometimes work

@brummbear:

progress update.

Event parser

Due to the fact that i am now able to listen to the incoming events, i extended the event messages parser code which are sent from the device (currently using the Maschine MK3). That includes (at first)

- PAD button changes/presses
- Button presses
- Touchstrip events
- Knob touches / knob rotations
- 4D encoder presses, touches, presses, knob rotations

There are some messages i've identified which are sent when the instance control is "stolen" by another instance, so there are some more things.

I have isolated the most important messages (pad, buttons, ...) and began to parse then. Buttons, knobs and touchstrip seems to be easy (one event on press, one event on release or just one event on rotate and so on) but the pad data seems to send an infinitive amount of events while a pad is pressed.
I've identified the pad number, maybe a "state" field (1 seems to be pressed down event, 3 or 4 seems to be some state changing number when pad is released, 4 seems to be the last event state); also there is some complete random field data which isn't the same at every pad event - maybe the velocity and other data is encoded into this field.

Regarding the other events that should be really straight forward and is btw the same with my KKMK2 as expected.

Windows

Good and bad news.

Good: The event parser script code i wrote and tested on OSX is completely usable on Windows without any change. Yay! Less work for me!

Bad: It currently takes around 20-30 tries to start the test program and get to the point where the device is "connected". I also have to restart the NI agents often.

The data parsing code itself is working and without any problem but there is still the known bug in the windows IPC backend. Generally even this is good because i can focus on finishing the message parsing, try the code on windows and when i'm finished with the parser, i can just fix the windows bugs at once.

I am carefully optimistic that you can get a first "alpha windows test version" to test on your windows computer and with your devices at least at the end of this month.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #39
bernardg

Default Extended Edit Mode not working

Hi, can you help? I bought a KK 61 Mk2 last week. I've installed ReaKontrol. I've followed the manual advice as much as I can.
On day 1 I managed to activate Extended Edit Mode. I also used this to 'record arm of selected track'.
Next time I logged on, I could get into Extended Edit Mode, but I couldn't arm track for recording. (I then took your advice on 'automatically arm for recording selected track', which makes this problem redundant.)

My big problem now is that Extended Edit Mode does not work when I'm have Mixer open. The blue lights around the wheel do not flash.
If I switch to Midi view, they flash as they are supposed to do.

Can you advise?
Many thanks. Many thanks for everything that does work. It's brilliant. But I'm hoping to get my small brain to suss out the benefits of Extended Edit Mode one day.
bernardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:57 PM   #40
carbon

Am I reading correctly from the manual that with the keyboard controller it's impossible to have transport control when focusing on the Maschine plugin?
That splitting the transport buttons to use Mackie protocol is possible only with the Maschine controller?

The MK keyboards use the Komplete Kontrol standalone instead of Controller Editor to edit it's MIDI assignments and I can't find anything that allows to edit the behaviour of the transport buttons.