Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-25-2021, 08:52 AM   #1
percy main
Human being with feelings

Default ReaInsert using multiple outboard gear question

Is it possible to use multiple instances of ReaInsert in one project?
Is the use of ReaInsert restricted to only using one instance of ReaInsert which then needs to be printed before moving on to the next.
For example you cannot use say, an outboard echo on one track and an outboard reverb on another and an outboard tube compressor on another simultaneously
percy main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
domzy

use as many as you like - the limit is likely to be your interface's outs & ins
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #3
lunker

^^^ What domzy said.

I have an 8-in / 8-out interface, and I have it set up so that:

* inputs 1/2 are for my guitars, keyboards, and mic's (I switch between them with a patchbay)
* outputs 1/2 go to my monitors
* outputs 3/4 go to some hardware (from ReaInsert)
* inputs 3/4 are the returns from that hardware (back to Reaper)
* outputs 5/6 go to some other hardware (from ReaInsert)
* inputs 5/6 are the returns from that other hardware (back to Reaper)
* outputs 7/8 go to yet some more hardware (from ReaInsert)
* inputs 7/8 are the returns from that more hardware (back to Reaper)

The patchbay also enables me to quickly re-route inputs/outputs 3-8, so that I can switch around the gear to make different FX chains for ReaInsert, and for the rare occurrence when I need to record more than two channels of instrument input simultaneously (which is not often, since I usually just record myself playing one instrument at a time).

Last edited by lunker; 01-25-2021 at 10:22 AM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #4
grinder

Wow Lunker!

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #5
lunker

The sad thing is, I really don't use the external gear much any more. It all came from my days of using 8-track tape. I was totally new to computer recording when I found Reaper, and I just connected my hardware to the soundcard via the patchbay. I used ReaInsert a lot back then, because I had the gear and no plugins.

Now after more than a decade of Reaper, and many $$$$ spend on VST plugins, I don't really use ReaInsert and the external gear much anymore, except for occasionally my Alesis QuadraVerb for the times when it has a particular sound I can't get with a VST FX.

It broke my heart to sell some of the gear I've been holding on to for 30+ years (especially the pieces I bought early on that had more sentimental value than $$ value or usefulness in my recording flow), but if they hadn't even been turned on for 10 years, what was the point of having them? At least I got a few $ back, and maybe someone is enjoying them as much as I once did, before I discovered VST plugins.

(I will probably never sell the QuadraVerb, though. Even though it's not the best FX, it has too much sentimental value for me to ever get rid of it. Weird, I know, but that's how I am.)

Last edited by lunker; 01-25-2021 at 12:34 PM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #6
percy main

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
The sad thing is, I really don't use the external gear much any more. It all came from my days of using 8-track tape. I was totally new to computer recording when I found Reaper, and I just connected my hardware to the soundcard via the patchbay. I used ReaInsert a lot back then, because I had the gear and no plugins.

Now after more than a decade of Reaper, and many $$$$ spend on VST plugins, I don't really use ReaInsert and the external gear much anymore, except for occasionally my Alesis QuadraVerb for the times when it has a particular sound I can't get with a VST FX.

It broke my heart to sell some of the gear I've been holding on to for 30+ years (especially the pieces I bought early on that had more sentimental value than $$ value or usefulness in my recording flow), but if they hadn't even been turned on for 10 years, what was the point of having them? At least I got a few $ back, and maybe someone is enjoying them as much as I once did, before I discovered VST plugins.

(I will probably never sell the QuadraVerb, though. Even though it's not the best FX, it has too much sentimental value for me to ever get rid of it. Weird, I know, but that's how I am.)
Interesting,
I use vst exclusively but I would like to use my analogue equipment also.
Is latency an issue if recording say live guitar via an amplifier or does the ping button compensate for this.
percy main is offline   Reply With Quote