Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
Imran5000
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone Use Vocaloid in Reaper 64 Bit?

Hello all anyone here use Vocaloid in Reaper 64 Bit successfully without any problems! What are your thoughts on the program generally

Many thanks
Imran5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
Michael AD

Vocaloid is a stand-alone product, which makes it very awkward to use. You have to create your vocals in Vocaloid, save them as a Wav file and then import the Wav file into Reaper. It's not a pleasant work-flow as it's difficult to match the vocals to your other tracks.

If you want to create those Vocaloid sounding type of vocals, I highly recommend Alter-Ego from Plogue. It's free and works great within Reaper.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
ivansc

How cool is that! I am downloading the program and the free voice bank. So - where do we find more different voice banks, please? Couldnt find anything right away by googling....

EDIT OK google was arsing about on me - got a couple more coming down now.

Yet another excuse not to work on my songs!

Last edited by ivansc; 11-20-2017 at 02:12 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
Imran5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
Vocaloid is a stand-alone product, which makes it very awkward to use. You have to create your vocals in Vocaloid, save them as a Wav file and then import the Wav file into Reaper. It's not a pleasant work-flow as it's difficult to match the vocals to your other tracks.

If you want to create those Vocaloid sounding type of vocals, I highly recommend Alter-Ego from Plogue. It's free and works great within Reaper.
Cheers man, real shame about Vocaloid they no doubt lose customers because of this they certainly have in my case! I'll check out Plogue thanks
Old 11-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
Imran5000

Gotta be honest it's a pretty cool program for free!! Have you lot noticed however that when entering text hitting the space bar starts the song in Reaper so you can't enter more than one word per line?
Old 11-22-2017, 04:08 AM   #6
Michael AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran5000 View Post
Gotta be honest it's a pretty cool program for free!! Have you lot noticed however that when entering text hitting the space bar starts the song in Reaper so you can't enter more than one word per line?
Easy to fix - (from the manual):

Right-click the plug-in instance, check “Send all keyboard input to plug-in” option

Now you will be able to put spaces in the text and Reaper will not start.

Another thing you want to do with Alter/Ego is use CC2 throughout the song to let you play back your words from any specific point. (Otherwise you have to always play back from the beginning to make the words match your melody.) So put a CC2 with the value of the line number and it will play back the text of that line number from that CC2 point.

From the manual:
Midi CC2 will set the cursor to a text line. For instance, if Alter/Ego receives CC2 value 57, the text cursor will be set
at the beginning of line 57 for the next note.

Finally another cool thing about Alter/Ego (compared to Vocaloid) is that you can play your text live. Just set up your text and jam away. You can use the mod and pitch wheels and get crazy playing your text. Have fun!
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
Imran5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
Easy to fix - (from the manual):

Right-click the plug-in instance, check “Send all keyboard input to plug-in” option

Now you will be able to put spaces in the text and Reaper will not start.

Another thing you want to do with Alter/Ego is use CC2 throughout the song to let you play back your words from any specific point. (Otherwise you have to always play back from the beginning to make the words match your melody.) So put a CC2 with the value of the line number and it will play back the text of that line number from that CC2 point.

From the manual:
Midi CC2 will set the cursor to a text line. For instance, if Alter/Ego receives CC2 value 57, the text cursor will be set
at the beginning of line 57 for the next note.

Finally another cool thing about Alter/Ego (compared to Vocaloid) is that you can play your text live. Just set up your text and jam away. You can use the mod and pitch wheels and get crazy playing your text. Have fun!
Thanks dude I foolishly asked the question before reading the manual!!! Thanks for going through it, great program might send them a donation