Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
postmoderncore
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 5.26 64 bit playback is distorted, pitched wrong

I'd really like to get this sorted, because dad wants to buy Reaper, but I can't get it going for him. I'm baffled where to even begin debugging this issue that seems particular to using Reaper with this laptop, but isn't sound card or audio system specific.

Reproduction
----

On my fathers laptop, simply create a new project, add a track, record an audio track from an audio input, and play it back. It will sound pitched wrong, like a really poor quality pitch shifter is pitching the track down, or like a ring modulator effect.

Alternatively, take a project from my laptop and copy to his. Using the same soundcard, and doing nothing to the project, playback will be wrong on his laptop but okay on mine. The test project is 44.1k, 24 bit.

Rendering the track will result in a wave file that is accurate to the original. It's only playing back the project that has the problem.

Playback proceeds through the project at the normal speed on my dad's laptop, it's just pitched wrong.

Specifications
----

Windows 10 Home 10.0.14393
Reaper 5.26 64 bit (and also 5.25)

Toshiba Satellite L50-A. Intel Core i5-3337U @ 1.8GHz
8GB memory

Happens with both the built in laptop sound card using DirectSound, Realtek High Definition Audio, and with ASIO using my FocusRite Scarlett 2i4.

Last edited by postmoderncore; 10-20-2016 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Clarification
postmoderncore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
MikComposer

You're playrate might be set wrong. Check if it's set to 0.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Sounds more like you're running Reaper at a different samplerate than your soundcard will accept. Realtek AFAIK runs at 48khz, so if you are using that for your soundcard, you will probably need to run your projects at the same. Use the Project Settings to set it and you can also save the default project to run at that SR as well.

And welcome to the forums.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
postmoderncore

I've edited my post to clarify based on both these questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
You're playrate might be set wrong. Check if it's set to 0.
Rate is 1.0, and is completely unchanged. I'm doing nothing with these projects other than adding and recording a mono audio track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Sounds more like you're running Reaper at a different samplerate than your soundcard will accept. Realtek AFAIK runs at 48khz, so if you are using that for your soundcard, you will probably need to run your projects at the same. Use the Project Settings to set it and you can also save the default project to run at that SR as well.

And welcome to the forums.
This isn't a problem. I've taken a project that's fine on my laptop and copied it to dad's. When I use my soundcard to play it back on my laptop it's fine, when I use the same soundcard with dad's laptop it's pitched wrong.

Thanks for the welcome :-)
Old 10-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmoderncore View Post
This isn't a problem.
Well I can almost guarantee that it is. Try running switching the project SR to 48k on your dad's laptop. Your ASIO soundcard does not have the same limitations as the onboard Realtek chip.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
postmoderncore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Well I can almost guarantee that it is. Try running switching the project SR to 48k on your dad's laptop. Your ASIO soundcard does not have the same limitations as the onboard Realtek chip.
"Happens with both the built in laptop sound card using DirectSound, Realtek High Definition Audio, and with ASIO using my FocusRite Scarlett 2i4."

"When I use my soundcard to play it back on my laptop it's fine, when I use the same soundcard with dad's laptop it's pitched wrong."

I'm being very careful to try out like for like here - the FocusRite Scarlett 2i4 is behaving differently on my laptop and his.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
foxAsteria

Ok fair enough, didn't see that part, but I've seen the problem you describe before and it's the result of a SR mismatch. Maybe I'm wrong, but how about looking at the related Reaper settings on your dad's laptop, particularly, audio>device>allow projects to override. Checked?

You could try exporting your Reaper config to his laptop to rule out any Reaper settings mismatch. If that worked, you'd just have to go through the prefs afterward and make sure any folder paths are correct, as these get exported as well.

Anyways, hope you work it out. I'm out of ideas.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:42 PM   #8
clepsydrae

Another thing to try is a "portable install" on your father's laptop. This is a second, unrelated install of reaper that won't overwrite any of the settings of the normal install, but which will guarantee that you are running with all factory settings at their defaults. Just download reaper again, run the installer, choose "portable install", and choose a directory to install it in -- everything will install to only that directory.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote