Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #1
jimbobbley
Human being with feelings

Default Two MIDI-related things that really annoy me...

Hi all

Just a couple of gripes that someone might be able to help with.. I've had a look on the forum but no solution suggested itself.

1) ReacontrolMIDI track envelope automation

If you're using ReacontrolMIDI to automate MIDI via a track envelope (waaaaay easier than the horrible CC lanes) - say on an external synth - then it sends so much redundant information, constantly, that it can overload the MIDI buffers of that external synth. This is especially the case on Access / Kemper stuff for some reason because they seem to have a very small MIDI buffer. Attached is a screenshot though for just a fraction of a short MIDI fade from 126 to 127 - look how much redundant data is being transmitted! (NB this is one instance of reacontrolMIDI with track envelope automation being routed to another so I can do the 'show log'.)

It'd be much better if ReacontrolMIDI had some kind of 'thin MIDI data' option so that it could get rid of duplicate messages - say, over a certain threshold, maybe three or four of the same message - because there's no way you need to tell any external synth to stay on volume 126 this many times! And this is just one parameter for one patch - imagine trying to run and automate 16 channels of external MIDI on something like a Virus TI2 - it's not going to happen!

2) Precise visual feedback in MIDI CC lane editor

If you decide to forgo track envelope automation with ReacontrolMIDI for the standard MIDI editor CC lanes, I cannot for the life of me figure out why there is no numerical indication of the CC data in situ. When you edit note velocities, hey presto, up pop little numerical indicators to show you where you are - but the best you can manage on the CC lane is either hovering close to the top and just hoping you're correct in the number you see displayed in the top left, or opt+3-ing it and going to the MIDI data list. This is nonsense! Surely anyone who's worked in MIDI in any other DAW is driven absolutely bonkers by this.. I know I am.

And while I'm here if the CC lane editor was made closer to Logic's and you could use it sensibly, e.g. drawing fades and selecting items, it'd be a whole lot more useful...

Just me? Probably!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 15.25.23.jpg (59.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 15.26.37.jpg (43.7 KB, 119 views)
jimbobbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
EvilDragon

I think there's a JS FX duplicate event filter plugin somewhere, use that after RCM.

EDIT: Here - https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=134606

Drawing fades in MIDI editor CC lanes is totally possible, see juliansader's scripts.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 07-16-2018 at 07:57 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
jimbobbley

Thanks, that's very helpful. It'd be great if RCM did it itself but this is a decent and low CPU workaround in the meantime.

I'm not too familiar with scripts etc - I know one of the great benefits of Reaper is its customisability and how open it is, I just wish some of the basic functionality was a bit more thoughtfully put together. It's a very simple thing and one that most people who use MIDI a lot would really appreciate I think.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
mccrabney

i've run into both of these issues. dealt with the first one the way Evil Dragon suggested.

and wow, the second one. +1. a numerical value display for any clicked on/selected CCs would be so helpful, especially when drawing them in. i find myself entering explicit CC values in the Event List manually a lot.

i also find myself using AI clips and reacontrolmidi over using CC lanes, as i find that editing is more streamlined. plus, you can do it from the arrange screen.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
LugNut

Hi,
Make sure you have the channel parameter in RCM NOT set to all. It defaults to all.
That is all:-)
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:45 PM   #6
bobobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobbley View Post
1) ReacontrolMIDI track envelope automation

If you're using ReacontrolMIDI to automate MIDI via a track envelope (waaaaay easier than the horrible CC lanes) - say on an external synth - then it sends so much redundant information, ...
maybe i missed the point here (again)

But
Make a small demo with two RCM on one track, the first has an envelope that control the volume, the second is used to log the midi-data.

you will see that RCM sends what it need to and no redundant data.

you should blame your midi-setup for the redundancy, i guess.
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:50 AM   #7
jimbobbley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobo View Post
maybe i missed the point here (again)

But
Make a small demo with two RCM on one track, the first has an envelope that control the volume, the second is used to log the midi-data.

you will see that RCM sends what it need to and no redundant data.

you should blame your midi-setup for the redundancy, i guess.
That's exactly what I did, although it's one RCM on one track sending to the input of an RCM on the other, with a track envelope controlling the volume. No MIDI is leaving the system. It is sending massively redundant track envelope MIDI data - this isn't anything to do with my setup.

If you get different results by all means share them, please - I don't know how you would, though...
Old 07-17-2018, 05:51 AM   #8
jimbobbley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,
Make sure you have the channel parameter in RCM NOT set to all. It defaults to all.
That is all:-)
Yes, I've done that. If you look at the image you'll see that all that data is for one volume entry (volume 126) on channel one only.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:25 AM   #9
bobobo

2 TRacks
first with RCM envelope for Volume (raw) 127 to 126 back to 127
Midi Routing to 2. Track with another RCM to log the Midi
no redundancy here. it switches very calm from 127 to 126 and back

my reaper is somehow mint state , only very few tweaks.

here is my project
Attached Files
File Type: zip rcm-tester.zip (2.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 07-17-2018, 07:11 AM   #10
jimbobbley

Ah. Do you know what - having seen that yours works, I think this may well have been user error after all. Whoops. I normally don't set RCM to 'Midi channel 1', what I do instead where I'm routing data is to route the MIDI all -> 1 on the routing I/O. Which is, in retrospect, daft, as that means all 16 channels are being transposed to 1.

Thanks - at least that's that one sorted then. I did think it was odd.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #11
bobobo

Old 07-18-2018, 12:02 AM   #12
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobbley View Post
2) Precise visual feedback in MIDI CC lane editor

If you decide to forgo track envelope automation with ReacontrolMIDI for the standard MIDI editor CC lanes, I cannot for the life of me figure out why there is no numerical indication of the CC data in situ.
This is indeed a problem, and the reason why I created the MIDI Inspector script:

This script has also been partially incorporated into mpl's comprehensive Interactive Toolbar script:

juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote