Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
Adam12341
Human being with feelings

Default How to move reaper projects to another computer?

So ive recently just got a new computer so i deciderad to move all my reaper files to it. I first tried copying the whole reaper media folder to my new PC, but there was no audio. I tried then exporting to a folder and copying all the media with the projects, but it still didnt work. Amy solution? I am doing al lot of work with fx and MIDI drums. The before system was 32 bit and my new is 64 bit if that is any important.

Last edited by Adam12341; 02-19-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Adam12341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
Byron Dickens

Is your audio being stashed somewhere else?
Byron Dickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:32 AM   #3
solger

If the problem is that audio files are missing when opening the Project on the new computer, then it's most likely the case that the audio files are located in a different (external) folder.

A good strategy in general is to use Save Project as with the options Create subdirectory for project and Copy all media into project directory enabled at the bottom (before transferring the project folder to the new computer).

Otherwise you can check Source Media file paths in general via View > Project Media/FX Bay: www.reaper.fm/videos.php#U8_fSWVH4qs

Or is there a different problem (like with certain plugins or getting Audio Output from MIDI Items)?

Last edited by solger; 02-20-2018 at 02:09 AM. Reason: typo
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
J_Rog

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
A good strategy in general is to use Save Project as with the options Create subdirectory for project and Copy all media into project directory enabled at the bottom (before transferring the project folder to the new computer).

Otherwise you can check Source Media file paths in general via View > Project Media/FX Bay: www.reaper.fm/videos.php#U8_fSWVH4qs
I don't know if this helped the original poster or not, but I had the same question. Thanks!
J_Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
themixtape

Does anyone have issues when sending projects from a Windows to Mac person? Every time they open the zip file (Which has the folder / Reaper project / all "frozen" audio, etc)... when they open the project the first time, their Reaper has no idea where the Audio files are, so they have to "search", and point to the folder they JUST were in, opening the project file from.... and then finally Reaper "sees" the audio.

I HATE macs for a million reasons, and especially for this one.

It's a student of mine, and trying to help her best I can... but gottdamn does Mac make things difficult. If this is a Reaper thing, I'd love to know... but it just seems like a Mac annoyance.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Does anyone have issues when sending projects from a Windows to Mac person? Every time they open the zip file (Which has the folder / Reaper project / all "frozen" audio, etc)... when they open the project the first time, their Reaper has no idea where the Audio files are, so they have to "search", and point to the folder they JUST were in, opening the project file from.... and then finally Reaper "sees" the audio.

I HATE macs for a million reasons, and especially for this one.

It's a student of mine, and trying to help her best I can... but gottdamn does Mac make things difficult. If this is a Reaper thing, I'd love to know... but it just seems like a Mac annoyance.
In general, it can depend on how the files are organized within the zip-file and how the files are linked (absolute vs. relative paths).
Some plugins might also be using absolute paths to samples (which would require re-linking them on a different environment where the initial path isn't valid anymore).

Can you post screenshots or maybe save & attach a simple example of how the file/folder structure of such a zip file usually looks like?

Last edited by solger; 05-18-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
themixtape

Thanks. It's really simple... it's how I save all my song projects, and it's how a lot of people save theirs.

FOLDER (the song name)
-------- RPP file (and associated .bak file)
-------- all audio (vocals, guitar, bass, etc)

I always "Save Project As" and tick the boxes... create folder, etc.

Now, she may be extracting the zip file strangely... a lot of Mac people tend to just drag/drop everything on their computer because that's the Mac way of doing things. So instead of actually extracting the zip, they're just dragging the folder out of the zip, onto their desktop, which could be part of the problem.

But theoretically, shouldn't the song open with no issues, or the need to point to the same exact folder, to find all the audio?

Thx!
Old 05-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
solger

Quote:
Thanks. It's really simple... it's how I save all my song projects, and it's how a lot of people save theirs.

FOLDER (the song name)

I always "Save Project As" and tick the boxes... create folder, etc.

Now, she may be extracting the zip file strangely... a lot of Mac people tend to just drag/drop everything on their computer because that's the Mac way of doing things. So instead of actually extracting the zip, they're just dragging the folder out of the zip, onto their desktop, which could be part of the problem.

But theoretically, shouldn't the song open with no issues, or the need to point to the same exact folder, to find all the audio?
Thx!
Yeah, shouldn't usually be an issue (unless there's maybe perhaps a permission issue with accessing the files on certain macOS locations).
I'm regularly transferring projects between mac and Windows (or the other way round) myself.

I just did another quick test with the files from the All Through the Night demo project: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.p...PER_User_Guide
Which has basically the same structure
Quote:
All trough the night (folder)

After copying the folder both zipped and unzipped from Windows to macOS, the project in both folders open without any issues or missing files.
I copied the zip file in this case to the Desktop and unzipped it via double-click. Then opened the project file from the unzipped project folder.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
themixtape

Thanks! She might be doing something wrong with the file extraction.

I should mention I made this project in 5.983 and she's on 6.10.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #10
solger

Quote:
Thanks! She might be doing something wrong with the file extraction.
Yeah, there's probably something strange going on.

Quote:
I should mention I made this project in 5.983 and she's on 6.10.
If the project basically contains only audio files, then the version difference shouldn't usually matter.

I also did another quick test with the following:
  1. On Windows (Reaper 5.983/x64): Saved a project containing some audio files (using 'Save project as' with 'Create subdirectory for project' & 'Copy all media into project directory' checked)
  2. On macOS (Reaper 6.10/x64): the project opens without any issues

In general, there might be some problems when trying to load a project from a newer Reaper version in an older one.

As example, let's say the project was saved in 6.10 (using some new features in the project which are not available in the older version) and is then opened in 5.9x. Normally in this case a popup dialog is shown indicating that some (newer) features in the project aren't recognized/available. But it should still open the rest of the project (audio files, etc.) fine.

Last edited by solger; 05-19-2020 at 07:58 AM.