Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-06-2017, 11:23 PM   #1
Cloudswim
Human being with feelings

Default MASCHINE as VST in REAPER 5, issues? Any users?

Hi was wondering if Mashine is working flawlessly inside Reaper?

Are there any lagging / latency issues?

pls let me know if you've had any experience!

Many Thanks!
Cloudswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
foxAsteria

It's working great nowadays. You can try one of my templates: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....light=maschine
Let me know if you have problems with it and I will help you.

The only latency issue I've noticed is when you try to play Maschine in it's native mode (not MIDI mode), but don't have the track armed. For some reason it needs to be armed or there will be some delay, so if you don't actually want to record on the Maschine track, you should also enable the "record: disable (input monitor only)" option by right clicking the arm button.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
Renter X

So I just picked up a mk3. I’m brand new to this ecosystem. How do you set up so pushing play on the maschine controller makes Reaper play?

I also noticed the template that I’ve set up with Komplete Kontrol on one track and Maschine 2 on another causes the Kontrol s61 MK1 to not respond to Komplete Kontrol’s state but rather Maschine’s. This is until I remove the Komplete Kontrol and reinsert it, then all is normal.

Anyone else using both Komplete and Maschine?

Last edited by Renter X; 02-12-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Renter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renter X View Post
So I just picked up a mk3. I’m brand new to this ecosystem. How do you set up so pushing play on the maschine controller makes Reaper play?
You do it in the Controller Editor software. "Host Transport Control."
Old 02-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
Renter X

Ok, just tried that. No luck getting Reaper to play from the Maschine controller. Any other ideas?
Do you have this working with MK3?
Old 02-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Nah, I'm still rocking the mk1... But it's all the same. You have the mk3 enabled for control messages in preferences > MIDI Devices? If so then you'll have MIDI control for those buttons that are lit up and can assign them to actions in the Actions list like you would with any other MIDI controller.

It probably won't have the correct assignments automatically, so you have to make them. It's actually kind of a bitch on mine since using host transport overrides the Erase function on Maschine. I wonder, is that still the case on Mk3?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
Renter X

Yeah, the manual assignment through the actions list did it. Thanks for the advise.

It does seem the erase function is overridden. I’ll have to test a bit more to make sure as, like I said, I’m new to this environment.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:52 PM   #8
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renter X View Post
I’m new to this environment.
Well, enjoy! It's an endlessly inspiring environment that has only gotten better over the years. Can't imagine making beats any other way now...

Let me know if you have any other questions, I've been using Maschine in Reaper for many years now. It can be very seamless and for the most part you can get the best of both worlds, apart from the unfortunate way they implemented host transport control.

You can switch back and forth between MIDI mode, alternatively, and retain the erase function while having many more MIDI controls at your disposal (almost all of the pads, buttons and knobs on your mk3).
Old 02-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #9
Renter X

Your right, I have been having a blast using Maschine to create with. I’ve been getting use to the software standalone, now to incorporate it into Reaper workflow.

I’m thinking: add it to a track, change the Maschine’s groups output to sperate channels, create a track send in Reaper to receive the group - resulting in separated audio in Reaper. I’ll take this audio and manipulate it and arrange to create full tracks.

Is this your workflow? If not how are you going about it?
I notice midi drag and drop from Maschine into Reaper. Is this something you utilize?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:02 AM   #10
foxAsteria

Yea I send my Kits, kicks and snares to separate tracks. It's a bit long to explain all the settings in Maschine and on the Reaper tracks so here's my Track Template. You can study it if you want to know the details. It should work for you, but lemme know if there's a problem.

https://stash.reaper.fm/32936/Maschine.RTrackTemplate

It records audio output from each kit to separate Reaper tracks and the MIDI output of Maschine with each kit on its own MIDI channel within a single MIDI item on the Maschine track. It's pretty seamless this way. You can also change the kits and the routings will be preserved.

You can build up your beats all inside Maschine (Reaper needs to be playing) and record them to Reaper as a long sketch/performance or drag the patterns in one by one, like you said (I don't do it, personally). Or you can record straight into Reaper, through Maschine (so you can use Note Repeat) with the added benefit of being able to record overdubs as separate takes ,which for me was always a big restriction with Maschine---needing to get overdubs in one go or undo and try again.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #11
Mogalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Yea I send my Kits, kicks and snares to separate tracks. It's a bit long to explain all the settings in Maschine and on the Reaper tracks so here's my Track Template. You can study it if you want to know the details. It should work for you, but lemme know if there's a problem.

https://stash.reaper.fm/32936/Maschine.RTrackTemplate

It records audio output from each kit to separate Reaper tracks and the MIDI output of Maschine with each kit on its own MIDI channel within a single MIDI item on the Maschine track. It's pretty seamless this way. You can also change the kits and the routings will be preserved.

You can build up your beats all inside Maschine (Reaper needs to be playing) and record them to Reaper as a long sketch/performance or drag the patterns in one by one, like you said (I don't do it, personally). Or you can record straight into Reaper, through Maschine (so you can use Note Repeat) with the added benefit of being able to record overdubs as separate takes ,which for me was always a big restriction with Maschine---needing to get overdubs in one go or undo and try again.
Hi! Sorry for busting in like this, but I've been considering getting a MK3. If I were to use your template, would the MK3 work seamlessly inside of reaper as a VST? I'm pretty new to all things producing, so sorry if this is a dumb question.
Mogalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #12
foxAsteria

@Mogalen - I can't guarantee it, as I haven't tested it myself, but from what I hear it works fine if you use it the way it's intended.

I'll be updating the template this weekend (even tho i said that a few weeks ago) if you can wait a few days. But I've simplified them so hopefully it's easier to get going.

Go ahead and try them now though. Won't hurt anything, just read the notes in the project template.