Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 10-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
cloudcuckoo
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper as Plugin Host for Mixing

Hi there,

anyone using Reaper for FOH/Broadcast type plugin host like Live Professor or Waves Soundgrid?

If so what are your impressions? Is it stable? Are you making any big tweaks?

Thank you.
cloudcuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #2
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper Forums !

There have been some posts about this usage case in the past, Maybe you can serach the forum or use Google to find them.

I did not do this myself, but I don't see why this should not work decently.

You might want to read the sticky thread here to find information about latency, stability, etc.

What kind of workflow do you have in mind ? Do you want to use a surface device to control Reaper in a haptical way ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-22-2020 at 10:49 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
cloudcuckoo

Actually I would like to view Reaper as a pure Plugin Host where I can send stuff into, process it and get it out. Like Live Professor, Waves Plugin Server.

But Reaper can do more for me espacially with 3d Audio in mind.
So I would like to have a clean interface specifically designed for routing und adding plugins into it.
Stability wise I tested reaper in broadcast live situations and so far it holds its ground.
cloudcuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:51 PM   #4
mschnell

With decent hardware I suppose this will work appropriately.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcuckoo View Post
Actually I would like to view Reaper as a pure Plugin Host where I can send stuff into, process it and get it out.
That usecase is perfect for reaper, because it's stability guarantees uninterrupted performance for 12 hours and more, using it as FOH mixer, and stage monitor mixer and multitrack-recorder at the same time. Never had a single glitch in the signal. (At home I run Reaper more than 2 weeks uninterrupted just as low-latency host for the room correction plugin for all computer audio playback. Hardware is moderate, just a silent notebook, fan always off)
With good VST channel strips you can achieve better and more flexible sound processing capabilities than with any hardware based digital mixer.
I run microphone correction plugins in every channel, and speaker-correction plugins in every monitor and main output.
The (actually with cable measured) 5.6 ms roundtrip latency (ASIO-Buffer size = 64 samples) was not yet noticed by the musicians, otherwise they complain, especially percussionists get confused from noticeable delay in the monitor path.

Multitrack-recording records the raw signal pre-FX, so the FX can be changed afterwards entirely when mastering.

Short answer: yes, use it for your purpose, you'll never find a better and more reliable solution. (Make sure your Windows services are stripped down to the bare minimum, if you use Windows)

Last edited by rain; 11-07-2020 at 07:12 PM.
rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #6
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcuckoo View Post
Actually I would like to view Reaper as a pure Plugin Host where I can send stuff into, process it and get it out. Like Live Professor, Waves Plugin Server.

But Reaper can do more for me espacially with 3d Audio in mind.
So I would like to have a clean interface specifically designed for routing und adding plugins into it.
Stability wise I tested reaper in broadcast live situations and so far it holds its ground.
Plus you can record into Reaper if you want, which I do.
Example: Sequetron midi sequencer by Phil Tipping (which is best midi sequencer on earth, without a doubt, if you know a better one, you have to prove it, write here _________________ as midi looper and experimentation field, slaved to Reaper via midi clock, it could be any hardware sequencer as well, its midi output going into Reaper, playing sounds+fx, recording all tracks output (not input) during performance/experimentation/fun, later you can select better parts, using Reapers excellent ripple editing for all tracks, basically just deleting areas which you did not like without long discussions. If you have nothing left after all deletion, just record again, that is the fun part of it. After 1 hour fun, you might have a few minutes (2-3 minutes) better, original, interesting parts which you might want to keep, just save as .rpp.

For complex routing ideas you might check folderify.lua, search in forum or youtube.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post
That usecase is perfect for reaper, because it's stability guarantees uninterrupted performance for 12 hours and more, using it as FOH mixer, and stage monitor mixer and multitrack-recorder at the same time. Never had a single glitch in the signal. (At home I run Reaper more than 2 weeks uninterrupted just as low-latency host for the room correction plugin for all computer audio playback. Hardware is moderate, just a silent notebook, fan always off)
With good VST channel strips you can achieve better and more flexible sound processing capabilities than with any hardware based digital mixer.
I run microphone correction plugins in every channel, and speaker-correction plugins in every monitor and main output.
The (actually with cable measured) 5.6 ms roundtrip latency (ASIO-Buffer size = 64 samples) was not yet noticed by the musicians, otherwise they complain, especially percussionists get confused from noticeable delay in the monitor path.

Multitrack-recording records the raw signal pre-FX, so the FX can be changed afterwards entirely when mastering.

Short answer: yes, use it for your purpose, you'll never find a better and more reliable solution. (Make sure your Windows services are stripped down to the bare minimum, if you use Windows)
Thats a great detailed info.
Can you tell us what converters are you using ?
I recently adquired the Merging Anubis and planning on doing some live things with Reaper and Anubis. DJ (LR) and a microphone using the Antares access auto tune plugin (0 samples low latency plugin). I can get has low as 2.1 ms Latency @ 48KHz .Maybe ill dig in to the HAPI range of products later on.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:50 PM   #8
rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
Thats a great detailed info.
Can you tell us what converters are you using ?

I have setups with Zoom, RME, Behringer, Focusrite, but never achieved 2.1 ms roundtrip Latency.
Zoom UAC-8 (and RME) is the fastest, it runs crackle free at ~4 ms (32 Samples ASIO Buffer), but with double the size = 64 Samples ASIO buffer the latency increases only to 5.6 ms roundtrip, so I feel much safer, if I do multitrackrecording, while sacrificing only 1.6 ms (and that delay could be entirely compensated when moving the monitors 50 cm towards the musicians).
Detailed measurements (measured, not calculated):
https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....0&d=1601222178
rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #9
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post
I have setups with Zoom, RME, Behringer, Focusrite, but never achieved 2.1 ms roundtrip Latency.
Zoom UAC-8 (and RME) is the fastest, it runs crackle free at ~4 ms (32 Samples ASIO Buffer), but with double the size = 64 Samples ASIO buffer the latency increases only to 5.6 ms roundtrip, so I feel much safer, if I do multitrackrecording, while sacrificing only 1.6 ms (and that delay could be entirely compensated when moving the monitors 50 cm towards the musicians).
Detailed measurements (measured, not calculated):
https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....0&d=1601222178
Thanks rain, more good info.
Need to run a excel sheet like yours for future preparations.
Will run a multitrack live recording and one of the channels will have the auto tune in real time while recording same track. Lets hope it works ok with my laptop setup. Goona use the X32 Rack on USB. It has been great for all gigs till today, never recorded and processed in real time tough.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote