Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
BlackBart
Human being with feelings

Default CC Lanes Disappear With Item Copy

This seems like a bug to me...
In the arrange window, when I copy/paste (CRTL-Drag) a midi item with visible CC lanes to another track, some of the CC lanes in the original track become non-visible. Shouldn't the original track stay unchanged?
I think...but not 100% certain...that the "disappearing" CC lanes have no written automation points.

Before/after screen caps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC Copy Issue-1.jpg (42.3 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg CC Copy Issue-2.jpg (40.1 KB, 165 views)
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
BlackBart

With a new Pre starting, I thought it a good time to bring this up again...

When you Crtl Drag a midi item on a track (with CC lanes visible) to another track, any CC lanes WITH NO WRITTEN AUTOMATION are copied, but those same CC lanes on the original track now become non-visible. (They remain "armed", just non "visible")

Any CC lanes with written automation behave as expected...copied to the new track, and untouched on the original track.

It's a real workflow killer to copy, say, Violin1 to Violin2, and have the CC lanes from my template become non visible, then have go to the dialog box to make them visible again.

I've tried several pref settings...same result. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!
Old 02-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
EvilDragon

Those are automation lanes, not CC lanes (sure they're controlling CCs from ReaControlMIDI, but still, the distinction here is important). And yes, if there are no written automation points, they don't carry over - it's as if the envelope doesn't exist.

You could work around this by having a single point at the very beginning of the project on each lane.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
BlackBart

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Those are automation lanes, not CC lanes (sure they're controlling CCs from ReaControlMIDI, but still, the distinction here is important). And yes, if there are no written automation points, they don't carry over - it's as if the envelope doesn't exist.

You could work around this by having a single point at the very beginning of the project on each lane.
ED...point taken about automation lanes...thanks.
Yes...a workaround, but this is an inconsistency which really should be fixed. It's standard practice, when copy/pasting that the source is left untouched.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
BlackBart

Also, it's not as if the automation lane doesn't exist. That lane is copy/pasted to the new track...and is armed/visible.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
BlackBart

Update on this Item Copy/Paste Automation Lane issue...

The lanes on the original track will stay visible ONLY if a value change has been written. If you just add points...with no up/down value change...that lane in the original track becomes non-visible with the item copy/paste.

What's weird...any lanes which disappeared from the original track are now visible on the destination track.

So, I need to write in Auto Lane moves on all lanes of all tracks of all templates to prevent this. Drag!
Old 07-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #7
BlackBart

I want to bring this issue up again....more info.
An actual copy/paste of an item leaves all automation lanes (with no points) visible on the original track. But a CTRL (win) DRAG of the item to a new track makes the automation lanes on the original track non-visible.

Shouldn't both ways to copy/paste be identical?