Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 04-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
Rangler
Human being with feelings

Default As a noob, it's tempting to buy plugins when everything looks like the magic bullet

The more experience I get, the more I realize I wasted hundreds of dollars when I could've just used JS/Rea plugins or freebies online. But that's putting the cart before the horse and the only way to know that is through experience.

Save up your money for real analog hardware and instruments.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
jerome_oneil

It's an expensive lesson, but I think pretty much everyone that ever mixed two tracks has had to learn it.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:07 AM   #3
slipstick

Except us cheapskates who only ever use freebies...and of course we sit around wondering if some of those expensive plugins really would be magic bullets that turn us into superstars overnight.

Or maybe not!

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:38 AM   #4
DaveKeehl

Absolutely, when you start it's really easy to fall into that trap, especially if you keep seeing sales all over the place.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:56 AM   #5
vitalker

Buy Computer music magazine and use a lot of powerful synths and effects.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:24 AM   #6
uksnowy

In essence I can alomost agree with this sentiment but with one caveat: it does not apply to VSTi synthesisers. I'm not saying that there are no good freebie synths out there, I know there are. However, IMHO, they still fall quite short of the commercial synths. I know people rave about Synth 1 and others but I can not get the noises out of those synths that I can with my Native Instruments synths or Synthmaster.

I have to also speak up for Izotope Ozone. As a Techno producer I have to really push my limiter quite hard to sound competitive and the Ozone Maximizer is just brilliant for this. it is so transparent even when working really hard. I'm afraid I have not found a free one that can perform the same. So, actually, I am speaking up for the commercial software guys. Like many of you, I have spent a lot over the years on plugins but I do use them.

But, I do use ReaComp as a SC comp on every piece. I rarely use ReaEQ, not that there is anything wrong with it, I just prefer Ozone or Neutron. I do have small preferred selection of JS plugins that often get used. I also prefer YouLean over the Izotope Insight version because it has a cleaner layout.

So, I agree that often a free plugin will do the job, eqs, comps, limiters and so on. But for sound generation I still believe it is necessary to fork out for commercial software. The evidence must be in the fact that these companies are still there and thriving.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #7
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
especially if you keep seeing sales all over the place.
Almost dropped another $29 on Waves SSL when I already have a handful of bus compressors. I rather save up for a Stam SA4000.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksnowy View Post
But for sound generation I still believe it is necessary to fork out for commercial software.
I do lust after The Legend even though I have analog synths.

I'm still looking for a decent orchestra collection with lots of character and instrument noise to replace my free ones.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Except us cheapskates who only ever use freebies...and of course we sit around wondering if some of those expensive plugins really would be magic bullets that turn us into superstars overnight.
Yeah, that too. Then the problem isn't "I spent a million rubles" it's "I have 14 different equalizers and don't know how to use any of 'em!"
Old 04-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #10
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksnowy View Post
In essence I can alomost agree with this sentiment but with one caveat: it does not apply to VSTi synthesisers. I'm not saying that there are no good freebie synths out there, I know there are. However, IMHO, they still fall quite short of the commercial synths. I know people rave about Synth 1 and others but I can not get the noises out of those synths that I can with my Native Instruments synths or Synthmaster.

I have to also speak up for Izotope Ozone. As a Techno producer I have to really push my limiter quite hard to sound competitive and the Ozone Maximizer is just brilliant for this. it is so transparent even when working really hard. I'm afraid I have not found a free one that can perform the same. So, actually, I am speaking up for the commercial software guys. Like many of you, I have spent a lot over the years on plugins but I do use them.

But, I do use ReaComp as a SC comp on every piece. I rarely use ReaEQ, not that there is anything wrong with it, I just prefer Ozone or Neutron. I do have small preferred selection of JS plugins that often get used. I also prefer YouLean over the Izotope Insight version because it has a cleaner layout.

So, I agree that often a free plugin will do the job, eqs, comps, limiters and so on. But for sound generation I still believe it is necessary to fork out for commercial software. The evidence must be in the fact that these companies are still there and thriving.
I think the difference here is you're not a n00b. You're an experienced producer and know what you are looking for.

I'll also vouch for Ozone. That shit is about as close to a magic bullet as I've ever seen. And I love ReaEQ and the stock Reaper compressors as well.

I've never met a digital verb I liked, though.