Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-12-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
Dethska
Human being with feelings

Default Instant crash when opening Reaper (SOLVED)

I just started messing with REAPER tonight because of good things I'd heard from Pipeline and others.

So I was messing around with audio settings trying to get my RME Digiface and NVIDIA onboard sound cards to work. I had it set to ASIO drivers. I hit some button that scanned all my DirectX effects.

Then I hit something and the program crashed. Now I can't ever open Reaper. I tried uninstalling and deleting the whole folder and I checked the registry and it looked clean. I tried reinstalling 1.08 and 1.10 with no luck. EVERY time I boot up it gives me the Windows "Sorry but this program has to be closed" error.

Can I get some advice on fixing this problem? Also, if there is information you need from me, let me know.

Thanks.
Dethska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethska
So I was messing around with audio settings trying to get my RME Digiface and NVIDIA onboard sound cards to work. I had it set to ASIO drivers. I hit some button that scanned all my DirectX effects.

Then I hit something and the program crashed. Now I can't ever open Reaper. I tried uninstalling and deleting the whole folder and I checked the registry and it looked clean. I tried reinstalling 1.08 and 1.10 with no luck. EVERY time I boot up it gives me the Windows "Sorry but this program has to be closed" error.
I had a very similar experience last month when I had to rebuild my machine. It turned out to be a conflict between the Nvidia Mixer, that was controlling the onboard soundcard, and my M-Audio ASIO Drivers. I fixed it by disabling the Nvidia Mixer.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
Spon

Did you remember to delete the <windows>\Application Data\REAPER folder? Gotta kill it too, to make REAPER completely go away before reinstalling.

Also, can you use something other than REAPER (ASIO control panel?) to change ASIO settings back to what they were before and then run REAPER again?
Spon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
olzzon

There´s a Reaper (reset configuration to factory default) in:
Start menu
Old 09-13-2006, 05:39 AM   #5
maa

There are many many VSTi's etc that will cause reaper to fail - I seem to spend a lot of time sorting throgh my lot and I have deleted all sorts that reaper didn't like.

A safe bet is to make a new directory for you "must have" VST and VSTi FX and strat from there.

Another trap is "open last project" which can be removed in preferences.

Cheers

M
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Dethska

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
There´s a Reaper (reset configuration to factory default) in:
Start menu

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Hopefully it works.

For the others that offered advice: thank you as well. But I couldn't find any application folder, and I never installed any vsti's. So I don't think it's that.

I WILL check another app to see if I can do something with the ASIO drivers but since this is the first time I've ever used the ASIO, I'm not real sure what to mess with. And I was messing with the NVIDIA soundcard right before the problem happened so that could be it at well.

I think I just need the RESET TO DEFAULT command because it worked initially.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Dethska

Reset to defaults got it working again. Thanks guys.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:14 PM   #8
Dethska

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj
I had a very similar experience last month when I had to rebuild my machine. It turned out to be a conflict between the Nvidia Mixer, that was controlling the onboard soundcard, and my M-Audio ASIO Drivers. I fixed it by disabling the Nvidia Mixer.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Yep, I got it to repeat. It's the NVIDIA ASIO driver that kills everything.