Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 04-01-2024, 06:06 AM   #1
darjama
Human being with feelings

Default The Reaper Mixing Contest - April 2024: Run Run Run

REAPER CONTEST - April 2024
(ONLY REAPER / TUKAN PLUGINS ALLOWED)

Click here to donate

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: reaMIXed.com

MIXING: 1-16 April
VOTING: 21-26 April
RESULTS: 28 April

This month's track, "Run Run Run ", was chosen by last month's winner LCM!. It is by Canadian reggae band Arise and is available courtesy of the Cambridge Music Technology site.

Note: In addition to the effects included with Reaper, the Tukan plugins (all current versions from ReaPack as of the 1st of the month) are considered part of the base installation for the contest, so if you're using plugins from this version of tukan, you don't need to include them in your submission. These are now included in mixcheck.

Non Reaper / Tukan JSFX are still allowed, you just need to include them with your submission.

Please remember:

-NO GLUING OF FILES / RENDERING OF EFFECTS
-ONLY NATIVE REAPER FX -or- non-Native JSFX files that you include with your submission.

It's recommended that you take advantage of the normalization settings in the reaper rendering dialog to meet the LUFS and dBFS requirements by:

1. Normalizing to -14 LUFS.
2. If your mix peaks at or under -1 dBFS, you're done!
3. If your mix peaks over -1 dBFS, rerender it, normalizing to -1 dBFS.

MixCheck (https://reamixed.com/mixcheck/) is still beta, it can help you by analyzing your .rpp files before you upload to:
- Make sure your they don't contain disqualifying audio files
- Make sure your they don't contain disqualifying VST/AU plugins
- See what non-native JSFX files you need to include in your zip file
- See what impulse files you need to include in your zip file

NOTE that Mix Check DOES NOT upload your mix, only checks your project file on your local machine.

Once Mix Check has been tested I may not require you to send in the mixed flacs, just the project files, jsfx and impulses. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.

You can download the multitrack from the website or clicking on this link.

-Daryl

IMPORTANT
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 10:54 AM   #2
TheRealMyodo

Default Rules

Hi. I'm a first time participant this month. What are the rules about the arrangement?Is it ok to mute sections of the provided tracks e.g. to build up an intro or make a breakdown? Or do we need to use all the tracks provided as is and just work with balance / pan / FX?

Many thanks and looking forward to hearing all the amazing entries this month
TheRealMyodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 10:58 AM   #3
Wallaby

You are free to arrange what you want.
Kick out tracks that aren't useful move around instruments, at the end the song is the song.
From experience in the contest, the voters usually don't support creative remix well.
The voters are evil anyway.
If you put a little reverb into it, they say the song is burried total in reverb.
If you don't use reverb, they complain it's too dry.
Wallaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:07 PM   #4
Jimih

Default Recreate submitted project?

I participated for the first time last month, and I realized that great way to learn from the winner would be to recreate the full project. I would like to look at the project as the submitter saw it right before he
(she) rendered it to a stereo track. That way I could look at the plugins and their settings in all the folders and tracks. Is that possible? If so, how could that be accomplished? Thanks for any help you can give me on this!
Jimih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 03:13 PM   #5
Wallaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimih View Post
I participated for the first time last month, and I realized that great way to learn from the winner would be to recreate the full project. I would like to look at the project as the submitter saw it right before he
(she) rendered it to a stereo track. That way I could look at the plugins and their settings in all the folders and tracks. Is that possible? If so, how could that be accomplished? Thanks for any help you can give me on this!
On the contest webpage is a menu Archiv, there you can find the download buttons for the project files.
You can open the winner project file after the contest and learn from it.
Then open the loser file and improve it !
Old 04-01-2024, 05:36 PM   #6
Jimih

Great, thanks!
Old 04-01-2024, 08:14 PM   #7
eq1

"Run run run, Babylon and Google"??
"Run run run, we can run on Google"??? Run run run, and run(?), we can run on goovon..."
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:54 AM   #8
TheRealMyodo

Default Re:Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
You are free to arrange what you want.
Kick out tracks that aren't useful move around instruments, at the end the song is the song.
From experience in the contest, the voters usually don't support creative remix well.
The voters are evil anyway.
If you put a little reverb into it, they say the song is burried total in reverb.
If you don't use reverb, they complain it's too dry.
Good to know, many thanks!
Old 04-02-2024, 05:25 PM   #9
Wallaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
"Run run run, we can run on Google"??? Run run run, and run(?), we can run on goovon..."
To me it sounds more like :
Run run run, (to) Babylon and move on...
Old 04-02-2024, 08:57 PM   #10
TheRealMyodo

Quote:

Run run run, Babylon I gon' come?

Run run run, Babylon here am I come?

Last edited by TheRealMyodo; 04-03-2024 at 07:29 AM. Reason: A closer listen
Old 04-03-2024, 09:05 AM   #11
JerZee

This might be one of the worst drum recordings i've heard....how to make something out of that is going to be a challenge. Any ideas? Lots of eq'ing wasn't the answer...Could also just leave it like that as part of the character of the song
JerZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:06 PM   #12
luanprins

Does it matter if the project is referring to a folder called "Media" in the project directory for the original media files? Or should it be referring to the same directory as the project (in other words, a blank path in project settings)?
Old 04-04-2024, 06:01 AM   #13
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by luanprins View Post
Does it matter if the project is referring to a folder called "Media" in the project directory for the original media files? Or should it be referring to the same directory as the project (in other words, a blank path in project settings)?
Don't worry about the directory, just make sure the file names don't change.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:26 PM   #14
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
To me it sounds more like :
Run run run, (to) Babylon and move on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMyodo View Post
Run run run, Babylon I gon' come?
Run run run, Babylon here am I come?
It's a mystery. I listened a few times, even to the raw additional tracks, and couldn't figure it out. The "move on" idea makes sense, but I don't hear an "m" sound, it's definitely a hard "g"... And then, now, I keep thinking "amazon and google."

Oh yeah, also, the idea of 'running to Babylon', as in "Babylon here I come," doesn't make sense, as Babylon's the bad place that the rastas warn against. It might make sense if it's a sly admonishment, as in the 'run to Babylon and move on' idea, as if he's saying, 'yeah, run to babylon but then move on (in your life), and come back to the rastas', as if Babylon were a phase young folk need to endure... But then, there's no "m" sound, so...

later, edit... OK, I think I got it. I found a lyric sheet, I think from Cambridge Music, that showed the word "anguko(?)" - with a question mark. I searched around a bit for that and saw the title of a film "Anguko" 2013 that included "(the fall)" in parenthesis. And then I found a definition - it says the word is Swahili for fall or collapse (https://www.wordsense.eu/anguko/). So that would make sense - "Babylon fall or collapse"...

Last edited by eq1; 04-04-2024 at 04:21 PM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 02:51 AM   #15
JerZee

Quote:
It's a mystery. I listened a few times, even to the raw additional tracks, and couldn't figure it out. The "move on" idea makes sense, but I don't hear an "m" sound, it's definitely a hard "g"... And then, now, I keep thinking "amazon and google."

Oh yeah, also, the idea of 'running to Babylon', as in "Babylon here I come," doesn't make sense, as Babylon's the bad place that the rastas warn against. It might make sense if it's a sly admonishment, as in the 'run to Babylon and move on' idea, as if he's saying, 'yeah, run to babylon but then move on (in your life), and come back to the rastas', as if Babylon were a phase young folk need to endure... But then, there's no "m" sound, so...

later, edit... OK, I think I got it. I found a lyric sheet, I think from Cambridge Music, that showed the word "anguko(?)" - with a question mark. I searched around a bit for that and saw the title of a film "Anguko" 2013 that included "(the fall)" in parenthesis. And then I found a definition - it says the word is Swahili for fall or collapse (https://www.wordsense.eu/anguko/). So that would make sense - "Babylon fall or collapse"...
Wow, and I thought just the mix was a challenge......
Old 04-05-2024, 03:52 AM   #16
TheRealMyodo

Quote:

Good sleuthing! I think you could be right! There are a couple of phrases near the end where it sounds like he sings some variation but I wouldn't put money on it.
Old 04-05-2024, 04:01 AM   #17
TheRealMyodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZee View Post
This might be one of the worst drum recordings i've heard....how to make something out of that is going to be a challenge. Any ideas? Lots of eq'ing wasn't the answer...Could also just leave it like that as part of the character of the song
Yeah I think leaning in to the character of the recording is a good plan. FWIW I've got something I'm happy with via eq & compression - pretty aggressive eq on some of the kit. I'm starting with the bass and trying to work the kit in around it. Are you using any track for references?

I don't know much Reggae so am finding this a fun challenge, listening to some tracks for references is expanding my musical boundaries for sure.

Mike Senior did a Mix Rescue on this track for Sound on Sound Magazine back in 2011. You can find the article online if you're looking for some inspiration.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:48 PM   #18
Jimih

Default Youtube video as a reference?

This will be only my second entry in the contest. Im thinking the track in the YouTube video is a pretty good reference; sure sounds good to my newbie ears. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Also, what Im doing with this track, since its so sparse, is something Justin Colletti said about the method of some big time mixer (forgot who). This guy spent a majority of the time (75%?) listening, and the rest of the time adjusting. Seems like a good way to zero into what is needed. Anybody here working that way?

Im just trying to get a good workflow set up. Thanks!

Last edited by Jimih; 04-05-2024 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 04-06-2024, 01:34 AM   #19
TheRealMyodo

Quote:
This will be only my second entry in the contest. Im thinking the track in the YouTube video is a pretty good reference; sure sounds good to my newbie ears. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Also, what Im doing with this track, since its so sparse, is something Justin Colletti said about the method of some big time mixer (forgot who). This guy spent a majority of the time (75%?) listening, and the rest of the time adjusting. Seems like a good way to zero into what is needed. Anybody here working that way?

Im just trying to get a good workflow set up. Thanks!
Which YouTube video are you thinking about? Would be interested to check it out
Old 04-06-2024, 05:04 AM   #20
JerZee

Quote:
Yeah I think leaning in to the character of the recording is a good plan. FWIW I've got something I'm happy with via eq & compression - pretty aggressive eq on some of the kit. I'm starting with the bass and trying to work the kit in around it. Are you using any track for references?

I don't know much Reggae so am finding this a fun challenge, listening to some tracks for references is expanding my musical boundaries for sure.

Mike Senior did a Mix Rescue on this track for Sound on Sound Magazine back in 2011. You can find the article online if you're looking for some inspiration.
Thanks for the tips. I didnt know this song was in the sos mix rescue...missed that issue.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:41 AM   #21
Jimih

Default Run Run Run YouTube video

Quote:
Which YouTube video are you thinking about? Would be interested to check it out
This one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L8DpOF...dW4gYXJpc2U%3D

There are 2 others, but so far I like this one better than the other 2.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:13 AM   #22
ts335

First time at this. Couple of questions.

1 - If I comp a vocal track together from various parts should I just mute the tracks that I used or should I delete them from the project?

2 - Since no gluing is allowed I assume it's OK to leave in the splits used to correct timing issues. Correct?

I'll go pull some previous submissions to see how they were handled but thought I would ask here.

Maybe I'll get this done it time to enter.
Thanks,
<<TS>>
Old 04-06-2024, 11:39 AM   #23
TheRealMyodo

Quote:
This one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L8DpOF...dW4gYXJpc2U%3D

There are 2 others, but so far I like this one better than the other 2.
aha thank you! it seems there are quite a few mixes on the YouTubes from another contest or school assignment
Old 04-06-2024, 10:24 PM   #24
Malandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts335 View Post
First time at this. Couple of questions.

1 - If I comp a vocal track together from various parts should I just mute the tracks that I used or should I delete them from the project?

2 - Since no gluing is allowed I assume it's OK to leave in the splits used to correct timing issues. Correct?

I'll go pull some previous submissions to see how they were handled but thought I would ask here.

Maybe I'll get this done it time to enter.
Thanks,
<<TS>>
1 - Either way is fine.

2 - Yes.
Malandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 04:05 AM   #25
TomekSmilok

"Babylon Nabucco" ?
The singer probably refers to Verdi's Opera, it is true that the dramatic tone of operas expresses a lot of Babylonian vibes.
TomekSmilok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 04:10 AM   #26
Wallaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomekSmilok View Post
"Babylon Nabucco" ?
The singer probably refers to Verdi's Opera, it is true that the dramatic tone of operas expresses a lot of Babylonian vibes.
You nailed it.
I thought it's about switching on vintage synthesizer.
Babylon a Moog ON
Old 04-08-2024, 04:32 AM   #27
TomekSmilok

Oh true

Actually everybody refers this mumbling to something personal they would consider Babylon

Or the opposite ...
TomekSmilok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 06:12 PM   #28
ts335

I think it's a guy's name, Bobby Lon Acuco. He does say He's a wicked man and He called me to take it, take it away.

Just my thoughts - we'll have to get in touch with Arise to find the real meaning!!

<<TS>>
Old 04-14-2024, 02:35 PM   #29
bitgo.space

Default Please help

Help me please with mixcheck report:

Impulses
Please include the following impulse files when submitting your project:
>h.?D4;
303-Strings.wav
309-CoolPlate.wav

How to find the ">h.?D4;" thing?
bitgo.space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 03:13 PM   #30
bitgo.space

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitgo.space View Post
How to find the ">h.?D4;" thing?
It disappeared when the project has been saved as a new file.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:37 AM   #31
lorro

Hi all. Is the archive of old competitions still up? There's a link on the reamixed page but it doesn't seem to go anywhere.
lorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:08 AM   #32
bitgo.space

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorro View Post
Hi all. Is the archive of old competitions still up? There's a link on the reamixed page but it doesn't seem to go anywhere.
Reamixed archive works fine. There is a dropdown on the page. See attachement.
Contests before 2020 may not work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (67.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-17-2024, 03:46 AM   #33
lorro

Ah yeah sorry, it's the pre 2020 ones I was after. Trying to hoover up as many reaper sessions to learn from as possible (with only stock plugins so I'm not missing any)
lorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 04:00 AM   #34
LCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorro View Post
...it's the pre 2020 ones I was after...
They are no longer available. A pitty.
https://reapercontest.wixsite.com/home/archive
LCM! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:11 PM   #35
darjama

Voting is open, let me know if your have any issues.
Old Today, 03:06 PM   #36
bitgo.space

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
any issues
It is difficult to judge this month

I mean, the song easily pulls the listener into some kind of trance. Because the piece is quite catchy and the genre allows all - even crazy - effects, then all of the mixes (overprocessed and underprocesses) have something catchy as well.

A difficult choice.
Old Today, 11:10 PM   #37
Wallaby

The voting page works perfectly fine no issue.
The differences in the mixes with all these effects etc. makes the voting less boring.
Still curious if the band could publish the lyrics...?