Old 07-11-2022, 05:00 PM   #1
4THUhrvst2
Human being with feelings

Default VST3 Plugins refusing to scan

I've been running Reaper under Windows 7 64 bit. I've now built a new Windows 10 machine and have loaded the latest Reaper version (I also tried an older Reaper version that's working on Windows 7 with the same result described here). I've now begun the long process of loading the (way too many) VST plugins I have. When I designate all the proper paths and do a scan it sees all of them, but when I try to place them in a Reaper session only about 25% are available. When I look at the Scan error list there's all the rest of them. This identical list comes up in Harrison Mixbus on this same machine (both the VSTs that are available and those that come up as errors). On Windows 7 none of these VSTs had this issue. I can see in looking at the VST64 text list in the Reaper info that all the plugins that don't scan properly are missing the middle set of #s, and also missing the repeated plugin title and company of origin. Example:

fiedler_audio_stage.vst3=C7004AE5ED93D801,14303026 5{ABCDEF019182FAEB4649415553544147,fiedler audio stage (Plugin Alliance)
Fuchs_Overdrive_Supreme_50.vst3=59EB76E5ED93D801
Gallien_Krueger_800RB.vst3=2C707CE5ED93D801
LevelingTool_64.vst3=005FE31F30BED501,331484980{F2 AEE70D00DE4F4E4A554E614A554E61,Leveling Tool (AdHd)

The plugins that have the full information work, the ones that are abbreviated do not. I looked at these same plugins in Windows 7 and the full title is represented. The same install process was used on both machines. I've dug thru this forum and saw related threads but they were from a couple of years back and some of the info wasn't relevant anymore. My Windows 10 Pro version is not an "N". It's listed as version 2004 and has the latest updates. Any help will be much appreciated!
4THUhrvst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:22 PM   #2
dom64

Have you copied them over from one machine to the other, or downloaded them fresh from website?
dom64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:31 PM   #3
4THUhrvst2

Nearly all of them were a bulk install fresh from their site using their installer (I started with the company I have a lot of). I also experimented with loading them manually from individual installers from their site (this result is not limited to one vendor). Neither method works for a majority of the VST3s. Interestingly, if a VST3 doesn't open neither will its 2.4 version.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:39 PM   #4
dom64

Have you tried with 'only' the vst3, instead of both vst 2 and 3?
dom64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:02 PM   #5
4THUhrvst2

Thank you for checking in on this again. I really do appreciate it. Yes, the 1st load I did on the new computer I loaded only VST3 plugins.
Old 07-15-2022, 03:23 PM   #6
4THUhrvst2

I'm still pulling my hair out over this (and there's much less than there used to be). I have experimented with manually copying in a working VST3 from my Windows 7 machine. If I then update it's VST text info with the proper name for it (from Windows 7), every time I clear the cache and do a rescan it automatically renames the file with truncated text. The only way I've been able to get a partial notice of the transferred VST3 is if I get the text correct and just tell the rescan to look for new/modified plugins. Then Reaper finds the plugin and it's available, but when it's loaded onto a track it really doesn't load (non-functional). I actually didn't expect any of the above to likely work since it's not a proper install, but I'm just trying all kinds of options. Since my Harrison Mixbus shows the identical list of unavailable VST3s, I don't think we should be laying the cause at the door of Reaper. I'm suspecting some kind of conflict or setting change needs to be made in Windows 10, and I've been pouring over any info I can find about optimization of Windows for DAW use. Am I the only one who is currently bumping into this? There's past threads on this forum on and around this topic, but none are really addressing a current Windows 10 system (at least that I've found).
Old 07-15-2022, 09:31 PM   #7
4THUhrvst2

OK folks, please bear with me. I'm going to post some more delving into this in case it's helpful to someone down the road or triggers an experience someone has had with all this.
This whole new build came about because a slightly older (2021) mini PC had decided not to start up well (it takes many attempts), and so I started over with a whole new component build system. I have managed to get the mini PC going one more time and since it already has Reaper (vers. 6.23) I decided to fresh load several of the plugins (both VST2.4 and VST3) that I've loaded on the new system that don't show up correctly. EVERYONE of them worked perfectly (both VST 2.4 & 3). And of course, all the VST text info was there. So for curiosity (since I had the full text names) I copied in the correct code for one of the plugins that wouldn't work on the new system and had Reaper do a rescan. The result was that the text still got truncated even when I know the text was correct.
While the older computer was still running I took a look at the OS info. It's Windows 10 Pro (not retail - new OS is retail), Vers. 21H1 (new vers. 21H2), OS Build 19043.1706 (new 19044.1826), and Experience Pac 120.2212.4170.0 (new 120.2212.4180.0).
So there you have it. Any thoughts? Even a few people sharing the OS details that are working for them could be helpful. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2022, 03:34 AM   #8
ivansc

Compare the vst location text from both computers & see what is different. IF you find a difference, repair the new computers list to be the same as the old one & see if that works.
Old 07-16-2022, 01:48 PM   #9
4THUhrvst2

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I've already tried that and it appears just copying over that info doesn't work. If you copy the entire text from the working computer to the new one, when Reaper rescans the plugins it will cut the missing text off anyway. (Incidentally, correcting the text and then opening Mixbus instead of Reaper doesn't work either - error). Also, I tried just copying in the "working text" after the 1st group of numbers/letters since that part seems to be unique to the VST install on each computer. Even that doesn't work. Reaper will recognize the plugin and add it to a track, but it comes in non-functioning (& in red).
Old 07-17-2022, 01:47 AM   #10
ivansc

In that case, try downloading a fresh Reaper & install it, but be sure to click on the Portable button when you do. This in stalls a new reaper version on your C:\ drive without messing up your existing one. IF you can then get all the plugins "found" you have an issue with the setup of your existing version of reaper.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:23 AM   #11
Stella645

Install an all in one runtimes pack and then try clear cache and rescan.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:38 PM   #12
4THUhrvst2

Default VST Scan Issue Resolved

So here goes what I hope is the conclusion of this arduous journey. Thank you to those who made the effort to help out. I do appreciate it.
As mentioned in my 1st post on 7/15 I was suspecting the problem lay with a Windows 10 update. The new computer had updated to Version 21H2. The prior machine, which was working totally fine with VSTs (and fortunately I had as a model), had version 21H1 on it. So, I commenced to start all over. I disabled all drives on the new system except for the install drive and reloaded my Retail Windows 10 Pro. That load was Version 2004. It did a first immediate update and I rechecked the version before allowing any more updates. The version was still the same. Two more updates occurred, but I checked the status in between to be sure I wanted the next update. It ultimately arrived at Version 21H1, OS Build 19043.1826, and Experience Pac 120.2212.4180.0. Guess what, all my VSTs work perfectly. Apparently (at least on my system) most VSTs were not at all happy with the 21H2 update. In doing much additional research (both before and after this latest re-install) I found the 21H1 update is known as the May 2021 Update, and the 21H2 is called the November 2021 Update - or sometimes referred to as the Sun Valley Update. Supposedly the latter is a minor build, but I found it to be a "no go" for most VSTs (and maybe it's not minor with some suggesting it's heading into Windows 11). Maybe there are users who are running the 21H2 update on their system and it's working, but at least for now I'm stopping here (the problem affected another DAW I have in an identical way). This 21H1 version is current. If I decide to update in the future to a newer 21H1 version, I will certainly set a restore point before proceeding (with setting periodic points being a good idea anyway). Suffice it to say that the last thing I did before leaving the studio was to unplug the network cable. This computer will be set up on a managed switch with no internet access.
I apologize this thread got quite wordy, but if the shared detail helps someone in our community avoid lost days and hair, then hopefully it was worth the space and time in the forum.
Happy recording!

Last edited by 4THUhrvst2; 07-19-2022 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Add title line & some additional info.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:59 PM   #13
4THUhrvst2

Default Looks like I inadvertantly installed a 32bit Reaper.

At the prompting of a Reaper Forum administrator I took a 2nd look at the version of Reaper I was running. Looked like it was not 64bit. With a fresh install of the latest 64bit after uninstalling the older (and 32bit) version of Reaper (v 7.08) everything is now back to normal and working fine. Doubt I'll make the mistake of not checking that I'm getting the correct installer again (hopefully). Appreciate the response of the administrator.