Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #121
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Hey James, just curious. Do you get any initial video/audio choppiness on youtube?
No, it's smooth for me on any site that streams video including Youtube. I use Firefox as my browser, but I also used Chrome and Chromium for a while and had no problems with any of them. To stop screen tear I did have to change a setting in Nvidia Xserver and make it persist (enable full composition pipeline), which is a bit wonky for me in MX Linux (due to permissions and where it installs Xserver, possibly). But the playback was always smooth besides that, and I did fix the screen tear issue too. I use an Nvidia video card and the Nvidia ("non-free") driver.

If you mean "while I'm using Reaper and have it and Youtube both playing at the same time", then in that case I can't help since when using ALSA in Reaper for my audio device, it won't let PulseAudio sources play at the same time as ALSA. I either use Reaper playback, or watch video in the browser. Most times I just close Reaper when I'm not using it anyway so I don't mind.

Also I don't use any Windows-based software at all, so I won't be able to help with that aspect of what you're doing. If LV2 ends up being supported, that would open things up a fair bit.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #122
Glennbo

I frequently compose while I've got video running on my second monitor playing either from my own Linux based MythTV server or from YouTube or Netflix.

That said, my Delta 2496 cards are exclusive to REAPER and the on-board VIA audio from my motherboard is exclusive to all other audio.

Also, as far as amp sims go, I just looked and I've got one which is up on my music page called "Wait a Minute" that has five instance of Guitar Rig on bass and four guitars, plus an instance of Kontakt and an instance of Superior Drummer 2. I have that project playing in REAPER for Linux with a 64 sample buffer right this moment as I type.

Nary a pop or click anywhere and I have a stock ticker I wrote running along with Thunderbird (which I just launched with project still playing).

Now I'm going to fire up Kodi while all the other stuff is happening, and start streaming some HDTV from my MythTV server to see what happens . . .

Still no artifacts in the REAPER audio. I use JACK and have REAPER launch it for me with this command in REAPER's audio dialog box.

/usr/bin/jackd -P80 -dalsa -dhw:M2496 -r44100 -p64 -n2 -Xseq

Priority 80, on the 2496 cards, 44.1kHz, 64 samples, 2 periods, and the midi switch.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #123
brainwreck

I'll give Guitarix a try tomorrow and see how it performs in comparison. Maybe the issue with Amplitube is Wine related.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote