Old 12-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #1
Ikary
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Timecode discrepancies

Hello,

I tend to have issues when working with Timecode on Reaper, trying to set it up so that I can work with the printed timecode in a video. I want to show what I think is a super clear case of a bug, but it seems so obvious that maybe it is me who is not understanding something. Please let me know!

Btw, in addition to this problem I'm showing here I've many times synced the start video correctly only for it to desync later (and making sure I'm setting up the fps of the video correctly in the project properties).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0O59nKM79k
Old 12-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
Ikary

I just checked in another computer and confirmed it's a bug, as well as figured some more information about it. It has to do with the frames per second project setting; depending on what you set it to it can mess up the minutes and seconds numbers of the timecode or not (I don't remember the exact numbers now, but I think that with something like 30fps the numbers and seconds in both timecode displays were the same -as they should-, but when choosing something like 23.98 it messed up the time showed in the hours:minutes:seconds:frames display, as in the video I showed).

I can record a new video where I show how changing that setting messes up the timecode, but I think you can also replicate the error with the information I'm giving. I am sure this is a bug now, and for us working with video timecode is crucial so a fix for this is badly needed. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
spk77

I think it's not a bug - see this: https://support.3playmedia.com/hc/en...Non-Drop-Frame

Drop Frame vs. Non-Drop Frame Caption
Not all 29.97 fps video is drop frame. Some video is non-drop frame (NDF), which means that the timecode does not account for the difference in video time vs. real time. If you are captioning your video, it is important to know whether your video file is drop frame or non-drop frame so that your captions are accurately synched with the timing of the media. At the end of a real-time hour, a DF video will have run 01:00, while at the end of a real-time hour, a NDF video will have run 00:59:56:12. If you caption a DF video with NDF captions, the captions will not be synched with the video and will get more and more out of sync as time goes on.

NDF files are written with all colons (hh:mm:ss:ff) while DF files are written with either a semi-colon or a period between the seconds and frames (hh:mm:ss;ff or hh:mm:ss.ff).

Another link - Non-Real Time and Real Time frame rates:
https://support.3playmedia.com/hc/en...code-Explained
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Ikary

Wow, my issue could actually be related to that, but the thing is that it's happening with a video that is 23.976 FPS, and I don't see in Reaper any option to change between 23.976 Drop Frame or Non Drop Frame (I only see that for 29.97 settings). Am I missing something?

Thank you very much for the reply, it is greatly appreciated.