Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-23-2017, 05:50 AM   #1
fabi
Human being with feelings

Default Classical Music Editing in Reaper

Hello,
I know there are a few of threads about this topic. But all of these topics are very old.
So now I want to open a new topic. Maybe there are some changes in Reaper or some new plugins, whitch are very helpful for classical music editing.

These are the plugins, which I know:
- Source-Destination cut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utST...ature=youtu.be
- Multitrack Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO1W6yC7_6s
- Classical Helper Shortcuts: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=122267

Some suggestions, which I couldn´t find. I want to prgram this in the next months. Is there somebody, who wants to help me and who has experiences in programming extensions?
- Change the Design of the Cross-Fadeeditor. it should be similar to this desgin (Sequoia): https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yFOgvAxzGUg/maxresdefault.jpg
- Multi-Synchronous cut: http://www.magix-audio.com/us/sequoi...s/#productMenu
--> this would be very difficult. I think

Maybe today there are more of these Classical-Music-Editing-Tools.
Please help me to find all if these.
Thanks a lot.
fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
TangoTrio

Default Support for more emphasis on classical music recording

Hi Fabi,

I completely agree with you about the need for more emphasis on using Reaper for editing 'classical' music and appreciate your quest to push this issue. This would also apply to various other genres such as jazz, tango, etc. etc.

Almost all the discussion in this forum is by folks who use a multi-tracking approach in Reaper for working on pop music genres.

It's very rare to have postings from those of us whose focus may be on approaches for simultaneous recording of musicians whose preferred way of working is to play together as a group (rather than building up tracks one at a time)using techniques such as mid-side where just a pair of microphones is used to capture the whole band's performance.

Unfortunately, I have no experience in programming extensions so I cannot offer any practical help in this area. However, I would be very interested in linking up with others who use Reaper for 'non-pop' approaches to recording and processing.

Would there be any hope of establishing a Classical Music Thread on this forum?
TangoTrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
serr

What exactly do you mean when you say "editing"?

Are you talking about something other than slicing up a performance or multiple performances to stitch together a seamless perfect arrangement?

I ask because of the way you mentioned plugins. Editing in the slicing/dicing sense is a function of the DAW app itself. For this, Reaper is pretty much the most full featured audio editor there is and you'll be able to edit even the most tricky projects to perfection.

Or did you mean "mixing" by that? As in using eq, compression, etc plugins to process the sound. That would be a plugin/mixing discussion. Your thread title is going to attract editing comments assuming you meant slicing and dicing FYI.

I haven't had much opportunity with classical recordings yet but I've edited a lot of improvised jazz. A similar kind of thing where you can't just easily recycle bits (like with repetitive pop arrangements) and you SURE can't use grids. Reaper is hands down the best editor I've ever used. I could edit something that would hold up in a court of law as real. (The part where the FBI records noise on the power grid to use to determine if a recording has been edited by comparing the noise elements might still be a challenge. Probably shouldn't be typing that out...)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:28 AM   #4
TangoTrio

Default Editing or mixing?

It’s great to hear another perspective!
For myself, I use a mid side pair to record a tango trio (violin, cello, piano) who would never consider doing multi-track sessions because the essence of their music making is playing together, not laying down individual tracks in isolation.
The recording approach is for the group to play the whole piece through several times, listen to those tracks, then get to work on recording takes of small sections of the piece that were less than perfect in their original play throughs. This involves recording multiple takes of each of these fragments until something acceptable is produced. The group listens to these takes for each of the sections that needs ‘repair’, then nominates which takes are to be inserted into the whole recording to tidy it up. The ‘editing’ job for me is therefore to slip these chosen sections into to piece in such a way that the replacement insertions are essentially undetectable
So, this more or less corresponds to your interpretation of “slicing up a performance or multiple performances to stitch together a seamless perfect arrangement”
As you observe, you certainly can’t use pop-type ‘mechanical approaches’ or grids for such editing.
It’s great to hear that you can produce undetectable edits from your jazz group and I’d love to know more about how you manage it.
I wonder if there is a difference between working with your group’s improvised jazz and my group’s tango notated (non-improvised) music? The insertion needs to be utterly seamless.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your most positive comments about the capacity of Reaper to handle this sort of editing. I look forward to hearing some details about how you do it.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:53 AM   #5
martifingers

Why not use "punch in" style techniques for the retakes of the sections? That way the ensemble could be cued from the original take. Multiple versions could be made if desired and the whole thing composited in the same way that vocal parts are done in multitrack recording.
Kenny's video is here:
http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#ilX2FOyu_Ts
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:31 AM   #6
TangoTrio

Thanks for this suggestion. Unfortunately in this type of music and performance, punching in doesn't really do it. A big difficulty is in getting undetectable, seamless joins. The key problem is typically getting convincing matching up at the cross fade area and not ending up with artifacts that give the game away.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #7
serr

"Punching in" is what was required to overdub parts with analog tape. You had to do the punch in edit point, the performer had to nail the part and especially the segues in and out, you had to do the punch out edit, and all in real time while the tape deck was rolling. Screw up one of those and you start over. Except... now you some moments around that first punch attempt recorded over so you basically have to start over and also do it a little different next time.

Far too crude a technique if working with classical or jazz. (And I would include pop music that isn't just playing MIDI tinkerbell to a click track as well.)

Shockingly, many people want to simulate that workflow with those restrictions in a DAW. To the point that nearly every DAW has the features included. The restrictions encourage creativity they say. Insane IMHO with DAW features sitting right in front of you.

Anyhoo...

You just have to roll up your sleeves and get your editing chops on. Just like with tape and a razor blade. Except you can rehearse things, redo things to perfection, audition edits you'd never be able to pull off with tape and so on. No cutting your fingers either!

Reaper has every feature you could imagine for your workflow. You can group things for ease of selection if you are working with multitrack elements and make it like working from a single track. (Multiple mics and so forth with the capture as opposed to isolated multitracks of course.)

Basic editing is often called slip editing.
The sky's the limit. There are selection tools. You can use markers. Ripple editing modes.

You can zoom right in to the sample level and make edits with surgical precision when needed. Observe and line up the waveform cycles accurately and you can slice a portion out of a vocal with no artifact. You have to be accurate with this kind of thing and it takes some practice. Just like with a razor blade. You can go far beyond crude moves like crossfades.

The main thing to know is Reaper is selection based. That means all the things selected together do the thing together. Grouping features are used to aid in making a selection. eg. Clicking on one item from a group selects the entire group (with that mode enabled). The items don't edit together because they are grouped. They edit together because they happened to be selected together. The grouping just let you select them all together easily. See that?
Old 06-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #8
TangoTrio

Thanks for making these really important observations.

Yes, tinkerbell click track approaches are anathema to the type of performers I deal with (and anyway, they just wouldn’t put up with the punch-in polava). The cross fade at its worst is indeed a crude and ineffective way of trying to ‘cover up’ an insertion.

You make a good point about the essence of good editing in this context being the skilful use of the facilities available in Reaper to do the main work. Your comments about selection, editing modes, waveform matching at joins, etc. are right on the money but the trick is in how best to apply them during a job.

I guess the thing is some of us are still in the early stages of developing the necessary skill in using those facilities and there’s not a lot of detailed information about how all the tricks that can be brought together in practical situations to maximise one’s effectiveness in this type of editing.

Surgical precision is certainly something I aspire to - but sometimes I feel that the results of my efforts are more akin to having used a chain saw than a scapel…

Would you consider doing a YouTube tutorial on how you combine these various individual techniques to deal with difficult practical examples in a ‘non-pop’ situation? It would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #9
serr

I fear if I tried to edit some video together it would end up a silly uninformative mess!

Any style of music with nuance in tempo requires real editing. There are no grids.

The thing to do is roll up your sleeves and start editing.
Save versions of the project often to allow you to retrace your steps if it comes up. You can always try things and undo them if they don't work out. Razor blades never had an undo feature.

Splicing together waveforms usually needs to happen on zero crossings. (That's the easier choice anyway if not the only one in a given scenario.)

You'll notice other patterns to work with.

Crude example:
Pretend this is a waveform. (And pretend there are zero crossing between every character.)

----v--v--V----v--v--V----v--v--V----v--v--V

Don't edit like this:
----v--v--V----v--v--V--v--V----v--v--V
edit point_________^

Do this to preserve patterns:
----v--v--V----v--v--V----v--v--V
edit point_________^

See what I'm getting at? Look for patterns in the waveforms.

The basic workflow is to edit for timing first and then clean up the transition second. If you are working with multitrack, slice everything together for the timing edit. Then go through every track and clean up the transitions. Many might still fall on the same spot but often enough you will have slightly different spots for the segue in different tracks. The edit point for the timing remains consistent (you're not offsetting tracks from each other) but you start pulling edges back or forward to hit the perfect seamless segue for each track.

Where it gets really complex is when you decide to alter a tempo for a short part to make a segue work. Elastique Pro is a winner here.

Apologies to MIDI artists for the tinkerbell comment. Whatever sounds right is right and I'm sure there are mechanical compositions I've heard that I prefer to some recording. The mechanical beat can have a certain appeal or vibe if done right too. I just wanted to illustrate that grid editing with such music is actually an anomaly that comes with a very simplified workflow for editing. To the point that it really shouldn't even be called editing. I'm also aware that there are a few talented individuals that can create reality with actual nuance starting from a grid. These are even more of an anomaly.

Last edited by serr; 06-12-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #10
philper

I think the OP is not wanting to change how he records players, but is looking for some of the efficiencies in editing in a style possible in Sequoia or Sadie etc. Like "source-destination" and "4 point" editing? I haven't found a way to do those in Reaper yet, but I'd put money on it's being possible, given some actions or scripting....
philper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #11
serr

"3 point editing" & "4 point editing" are just terms invented to describe workflow of editing. There isn't anything different or mysterious going on. It's editing at the end of the day. Adjusting bits of recording on a timeline and making segues between parts seamless.

When you alter a timeline (working with non-mechanical grid content) and end up needing to add or remove time... you do just that.

Reaper does in fact include features to adjust the timeline automatically if you wish (and precisely as you intend). This is called ripple edit mode in Reaper. Delete a bit and everything ahead on the timeline adjusts back. Paste insert a bit and everything advances.

Get your editing chops together first and then you will find the most advanced feature set you've ever seen in Reaper to let you move at lightning speed.

If you're also working with video, that's just another component. Edit for the audio to be perfect first. Then insert a cut scene to an audience shot for a tricky spot right?
Old 06-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
serr

Your timeline reference is all on you.

You can have as many timeline references as you please in Reaper or any other DAW. Literally call a track a reference. Call a 2nd track with an alternate edit which affects the timeline another reference.

There may be workflow commands on the surface in other DAWs that aid you in the workflow. But it's still not going to make the edit for you! You have to roll up your sleeves and make the decisions needed to make a seamless edit.

The timeline part (what I said to do first) is only the starting point. Again, I don't mean to dismiss any features in other DAWs that might be set up out of the box to do this. This part is pretty trivial though, honestly. Determine your initial segue points and just make that slice and put the big pieces together. Markers and the split command. I wouldn't want features beyond that to make this seem elaborate or take more steps.

The real meat of editing is then making the segue seamless. No auto feature is going to do that part for you. This is the critical part. The first part - the timeline edit - is the easy part and an alternate command set for that seems redundant. Those "4 point" edit commands are just doing the first easy part.

Snip, snip, ripple mode, delete.
Timeline edit is done. (Removing a chunk.)
Replacing it with an alternate which is a slightly different length (because of slightly varying tempo)? Ripple mode still on. Cursor at marker where you just removed. Paste.

Now the audio might glitch at the segue even though the flow of time is correct.
Now you get into the fiddly part of working that. Sometimes it makes you go back and alter your decision about the segue points you first chose.

Or am I missing something with some really useful AI?
Will this other DAW let you choose roughly close edit points and then finesse the edit into place? Alter your chosen segue points to perfection? Do some calculations on the audio to determine wave cycles in all tracks and work all that. Really deliver something like that? Parse out the ebb and flow of the natural performance tempo fluctuation and truly come up with a timeline alteration for the edit that musically flows with that? With no human interaction for the critical part? I think not but by all means prove me wrong!

I mean, the whole reason people started recording to click tracks and composing mechanical music to grids is precisely because of the work needed to pull off seamless edits on music with tempo nuance.

Sorry, I really don't want to dismiss another DAWs features here. It just really sounds for all the world to me that those are only for simpleton timeline edits where everything is to a grid/click. One of the big things I like about Reaper is the ability to get your hands right on the audio for 'real world' edits for stuff not to a grid/click. If you're telling me there's AI built into something else to automate some of that and it really no bs works... you have my attention! (And NOT just time expansion/compression to fill a gap or tempo match.)

Last edited by serr; 06-12-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #13
serr

I was trying not to be quite that blunt but yeah.

Real world editing is another league above simple grid edits. Those editing commands mentioned look to only be aimed at grid edits.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #14
philper

The version of Reaper I have can have lots of projects open @ once, and allows copying from one to another?
philper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #15
TangoTrio

I guess many folks (like me) who use Reaper are not in the financial league of those who can afford to use these high-end DAWs that especially target classical music editing of the type mentioned by Reynaud. Nor do we have to deal with anything like the level of complexity described. However, although working on a much smaller scale in terms of the length of pieces, the variety of forces involved, etc. etc., we still need to edit in the flexible way set out by Serr rather than in the dominant pop-oriented manner.

Perhaps it is understandable that Reynaud finds the homespun ‘add-on’ approaches devised by some Reaper users to be clumsy and unsuitable for the massive undertakings involved in opera recordings. However, there are some of us who are working with much shorter pieces (minutes rather than hours) involving far smaller musical forces and considerably fewer variables to be juggled. This, together with affordability, makes Reaper potentially suitable for people like me.

A key issue in this case is how to get the best possible editing results out of Reaper when the scale of the recorded performance is relatively modest. Here the challenge for each section needing ‘repair’ is to insert the best take from multiple takes into the whole piece as seamlessly and elegantly as possible. It would be great if Reynaud could consider this particular small-scale situation (in contrast to the full opera example) and make some concrete suggestions about either (i) ways to maximise the effectiveness of Reaper as it currently exists or (ii) facilities that could be built into future versions of Reaper so it is better suited to editing non-pop genres.

It was really helpful to read Serr’s general explanation of how to remove and replace a chunk as well as the more detailed account of how to splice together waveforms so they match up (and so tackle the fiddly aspect of avoiding audio glitches at segue points).

I would greatly appreciate it if Reynaud could also share any particular personal insights gained as a result of extensive real world editing experience that could be relevant to those of us who work with small groups recorded holistically with minimal setups such as a mid-side mic pair - as for example the tango trio (violin, cello, piano) that I record.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:04 AM   #16
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Why not use "punch in" style techniques for the retakes of the sections? That way the ensemble could be cued from the original take. Multiple versions could be made if desired and the whole thing composited in the same way that vocal parts are done in multitrack recording.
Kenny's video is here:
http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#ilX2FOyu_Ts
AFAIU, using takes needs the musicians work to a predefined timeing source. I don't suppose this is likely possible with a classical (or Jazz) orchestra.

Hence in fact a way to convert a set of recordings (that are convert to a multichannel track (as sown in the video on drum comping mentioned in the original post) ) into an item containing several multichannel takes, with each of those takes containing it's own timing definition, so that you can stretch them individuality [b]without modifying their playback behavior, but just the view Reaper offers on them[b] would be a great help.

Using this technique you could synchronize the (view on) the points you want to set comp-switch split points and then work with the thing in the same way as with takes recorded in a time-synchronized way.

I have no idea if/how something like this ("per-take display tempo envelope") is already possible (-> serr please ???) or if a feature request would be appropriate.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-13-2017 at 03:11 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #17
Gass n Klang

I'm very interested in this, too. I think this kind of editing only exists in sequoia and pyramix. REAPER definitly could kick in a door here ...
so, perhaps we should create a feature request for a solid, native solution and bring REAPER more into non-grid-based music production.
Gass n Klang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #18
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaud View Post
Yes, and they can even be tabbed, and Independent Projects may be embedded within other Projects, but the single Project timeline is the biggest pitfall to implementing true Source/Destination editing.

Scripts will always be a hack and a second rate solution, at least until multiple EDL support within a single Project, with independent timelines is provided.
Hi Reynaud, I have no idea how an editing environment looks or works based on what you're saying, when you talk EDL, it sounds like you should be trying out some movie software. I don't think there's any DAWs that function based on the EDL concept, but I could be wrong.

I think Reaper would be one of the DAWs most adaptable to it. In all honesty, I don't know what independent timelines would look like, or how they could be implemented.

Is there any software out there that can do exactly what you're advocating and if so, what is it, I'm just very curious.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #19
serr

If I understand the request, what a couple of you are asking about is if there's a way to preview edits and A/B. The challenge being that alternate edits of the same section would be slightly different lengths from the subtle natural tempo variations between different takes.

The crux of the biscuit being the want to hear a (at least somewhat) finessed edit in order to make a decision on the take without the distraction of a timing gap and the mental note of dealing with that after.

Fair enough suggestion!

What I do is use ripple editing in combination with saving temp copies and using undo/redo. If I have multiple parts to audition for a particular edit, I'll slice them out and paste them nearby somewhere convenient.

Then identify the same section that is to be replaced and slice that out.

Ripple mode all tracks.

Marker at the first slice (start point).

Select that section to be replace.

** I'm not going to write out the various selection moves, assuming that part is known.

Delete it. (Content to the right 'ripples' left.)

Select candidate A.

Cursor at start position marker.

Paste. (It inserts itself and the content right of the split 'ripples' right to accommodate.)

OK, now you can undo, copy candidate B, and paste to preview a different part and so forth.

You can save it as a temp project to give yourself that trail of breadcrumbs back to that point of work and experiment with other auditions.

None of the above takes very much time. You can move pretty fast doing that.

The "work" is in identifying candidates for the edits. No DAW is going to choose your parts for you no matter what features are there. Pasting in parts of varying length to audition in ripple mode moves as fast as you think.

That workflow felt pretty 'finished' to me but YMMV. If there's something with multiple steps that you find yourself doing over and over, that's whan it's time to see if you can write a custom action (Reaper term for macro of 'actions').

The suggestion of instead making the grid static and varying the tempo to accommodate those auditions... jeeze, talk about moving the mountain!

In general (and regardless of genre, recording techniques used, click tracks or free form) grids are a special case that are useful once in a blue moon. The focus is the audio. It has all the timing/tempo information right there in front of you. Why go through the trouble to lay a grid down behind your audio for no good reason right?

I think that came about with the mechanical composition from MIDI-land and for some reason that got extended to thinking you needed to start with a grid for audio recording for some reason. It's completely superfluous for anything live performed and recorded. The drummer or rhythm section lays down the "grid" when you record the ensemble. (Or just the ensemble/band in general depending on instrumentation.) If someone makes a timing mistake that crosses the line, you fix it like any other edit.

And yes I have been listening to a lot of Zappa lately.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #20
Tod

Aah, okay Reynaud, I'm beginning to see. This would be like having separate TCPs/Arranges in the arrange area, all capable of different timing and time structures. Actually if you could stack different projects, starting with their time lines, that would sort of do it.

I think that would be a tall order for Reaper unless you got Justin interested in this stuff. Heh heh, I don't know, he keeps coming up with all kinds of things so who knows.

Well I wish you the best Reynaud, it looks like you've got your hands full and it appears you're well equipped to handle it.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:50 PM   #21
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
so, perhaps we should create a feature request...
Done.
-Michael
Old 06-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #22
serr

There have been other requests for multiple arrange windows. It's a popular request for audio editing workflow. Many people use an external editor just for a 2nd arrange window even though it might have less editing features than Reaper.

Seems like an idea that could be applied to many situations.

re: multiple release formats, I don't really have any mastering comments to add.
If those apps cater directly to the final release formats and speed some things up, then that's that.

My replies were centered around Reaper's ability to let you get your hands directly on the audio and even down to the sample level as needed with no restrictions. Cruder tools like grids and analog tape deck punch in/out simulation are an aside that is also supported in Reaper but definitely not the rule.

Last edited by serr; 06-14-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:55 AM   #23
nicobi

Reynaud, many thanks for bringing this up. It has been a time since the last post. Any update status to the feature request ?

It definitely needs to go to the Reaper Version 6 thread. I am all in with Reynaud that Reaper needs to

• have mutiple Arrange-windows (aka EDL) of the same kind open with different property settings

Furthermore Reaper needs to get a much more sophisticated Fade Editor both as a seperate window and included into the item border editing mechanism (aka "handles"). How a fade editor should be set up can be viewed in soundBlade, Pyramix and Sequoia. The main point here is that the fade curves be editable like bezier-curves in vector editing applications. The following link may serve as an example. Note the fade curve handling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KriPT37n9Rs

Editors who know about the sound of fades especially in multi track environments where often for each track a different fade is neccessary at the same edit point value that kind of utmost control.

Regarding multiple Arrangewindows - well - even Logic Pro Version 9 and earlier and LPX can have multiple instances of a window of the same kind, linked or unlinked. Hence in Logic one could get to a basic Source-Destination-Editing-Paradigma.

Thanks for listening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-27 um 15.22.26.jpg (57.8 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-27 um 15.25.22.jpg (53.0 KB, 291 views)
Old 12-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #24
cohler
Banned

Default Classical Music Editing in Reaper

I have built a TOTAL and COMPLETE system for doing Classical Music editing (or really any multi-track acoustic music editing) in Reaper. This includes thousands of lines of code and hundreds of functions, NOT one or two simple scripts.

Anyone interested in being a beta tester, please contact me.
cohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #25
cohler
Banned

I have built a complete system on Reaper for true, better-than-Pyramix, source-destination editing.

My system is hundreds of functions and thousands of lines of code.

If you are interested in being a beta tester, contact me.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #26
cohler
Banned

I was replying to specific messages from specific people.

If you would like to be a beta tester contact me privately and I'll be happy to set you up and get you going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachstudies View Post
Further, I've looked through your previous posts and you keep typing the same thing in variation over and over. Yes, I get it. You claim to have a source-destination system that is better than the big three classical DAWs. A little bit of humility would go a long way Pyramix and Sequoia have fully-fledged classical editing functions that when learned are very difficult to improve upon. If you are not interested in providing screenshots, videos or workflow, at least tell us what is to be improved upon in Pyramix, Sequoia et al.? Countless audio engineers for the world's best classical labels would probably take issue with your statement!
Old 12-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #27
cohler
Banned

And as I noted, I have used Pyramix for many years and Sonic Solutions for many years before that (decades actually) and am fully aware of all their features and limitations.

Let me know if you are interested in beta testing.

Quote:
Further, I've looked through your previous posts and you keep typing the same thing in variation over and over. Yes, I get it. You claim to have a source-destination system that is better than the big three classical DAWs. A little bit of humility would go a long way Pyramix and Sequoia have fully-fledged classical editing functions that when learned are very difficult to improve upon. If you are not interested in providing screenshots, videos or workflow, at least tell us what is to be improved upon in Pyramix, Sequoia et al.? Countless audio engineers for the world's best classical labels would probably take issue with your statement!
Old 12-09-2019, 05:14 PM   #28
cohler
Banned

No cloak and dagger. Sorry just no time to waste on people who are not serious and explaining a huge new system to a large audience of 99.9% uninterested folks.

Again, and for the last time, if you want to beta test, contact me directly.

Quote:
This is all a bit too much cloak and dagger for my liking. I've been using either Sequoia and Pyramix for decades too. Please do enlighten us on the limitations of this applications. If you have built such a system, just share a few screenshots etc.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #29
cohler
Banned

Default More info about the Cohler Reaper Extension

Here's a very brief description of the system:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

And here's the keyboard shortcut list:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4dcuc2fsc...tcuts.pdf?dl=0
Old 12-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #30
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohler View Post
Here's a very brief description of the system:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

And here's the keyboard shortcut list:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4dcuc2fsc...tcuts.pdf?dl=0

Terrific, thanks for doing this. For my understanding, is this to make it easier to edit multi track recording where eg you have individual mikes for say ww, brass, percussion, and strings (per section), maybe with a decca mike, and a room mike as well?

Couldn't this be done by grouping the tracks, and then editing them all together?

Sorry for my ignorance. I have recorded and edited string quartets, but with a simple field recorder; editing was limited to cutting out the chatter, filtering out background noise with RX, and maybe a tiny bit of convolution reverb. I've worked in music prep at Skywalker Sound a few times, everything there is in PT as you might expect.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #31
cohler
Banned

You can't even come close to doing what my system does with native Reaper.

My system adds hundreds of functions, fixing dozens of bugs and adding dozens if not hundreds of new features and capabilities. The primitive "grouping" that Reaper supposedly has doesn't work practically at all in real life.

Yes my system, it uses the built-in crossfade editor as PART of the crossfade editing features that are built around it. It's MUCH more powerful and easy and fast to use than the Pyramix or other crossfade editors which are clumsy, cumbersome and poorly designed. Remember as I've said already, I've used that system for more than a decade and Sonic before that for close to two decades.

I know EXACTLY what those systems can and cannot do. My new system allows one to do the MOST PRECISE and QUICK editing of crossfades that you could ever need for any editing. You can edit things an order of magnitude faster than any other system on the market.

If you would like to see, rather than pontificate here about something you haven't seen or tried, contact me to set up a time for a demo over Skype if you'd like to become a beta tester.

Quote:
I'll eat my proverbial hat.

However, from a brief glance this is still using the built-in Reaper crossfade editor? If no new editor (which I suspected), this does not address the deficiencies of the current offerings. Once tracks and items are grouped (as per my own script or manually) and source-destination edited (again per my script or Pelleke's original two-tab version) there's not much I couldn't already do. The only thing that is really lacking is a dedicated crossfade editor window a la Pyramix/Sequoia/SADiE. All the audition stuff would be part of that. What could be more simple that my S-D marker system (4 presses of the M key!) that used existing Reaper technology?
Old 12-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #32
cohler
Banned

There is NO TRACK GROUPING in Reaper. That's one of the major features I add.

In orchestral music, for example, we typically record with 30 to 50 microphones: 4 to 8 general mics, 2 to 6 soloist mics, and 20 to 40 spot mics depending on the setup.

If you're filtering out background noise, then you are not making a good classical recording. We record in quiet spaces. Noise filtering degrades audio quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Terrific, thanks for doing this. For my understanding, is this to make it easier to edit multi track recording where eg you have individual mikes for say ww, brass, percussion, and strings (per section), maybe with a decca mike, and a room mike as well?

Couldn't this be done by grouping the tracks, and then editing them all together?

Sorry for my ignorance. I have recorded and edited string quartets, but with a simple field recorder; editing was limited to cutting out the chatter, filtering out background noise with RX, and maybe a tiny bit of convolution reverb. I've worked in music prep at Skywalker Sound a few times, everything there is in PT as you might expect.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:08 PM   #33
Timothy Lawler

Interesting thread. I'm a classical musician and do a lot detailed editing in Reaper. It was Reaper's editing features that drew me to it and continue to be the strongest aspect for me. Reading your posts, bachstudies, I'm reminded how simple my editing needs actually are (classical guitar, sometimes two).

BTW, whatever happened to fabi (the thread starter)?
Old 12-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #34
mschnell

Quote:
There's an arrogance that comes across here that is unbecoming.
Already obvious by his attitude of top-posting.
... and for Beta testing a system with hundreds of new/improved functions implemented using the great flexibility allowed by the Reaper engine, and that obviously is trying to be a "commercial" product, a "documentation" of nine pages is far too sparse to start with.
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-09-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:33 AM   #35
mjfe2

I'll be interested to see if Cohler's system allows the user to drag audio to the left or right of an edit whilst maintaining the same sized crossfade? This seems to be the main strength of dedicated editing software.

I'm also struggling to overcome a bug in Pelleke's system where the audio copied for the previous edit is pasted in place of the new edit. It didn't use to happen and I can't work out what triggers it.

You can overcome the bug manually by moving the cursor to the left of the time selection in the source project before making the edit.

However, trying to automate this solution by adding the relevant action to the beginning of the edit macro doesn't work, which is doubly frustrating!

Any advice?
Old 01-26-2020, 07:44 AM   #36
cohler
Banned

Default Track-group Source-Destination Classical Editing in Reaper!

Introducing...
Cohler Classical

Cohler Classical is a new environment built on Reaper and designed from the ground up exclusively for multitrack track-group editing, as is used in classical music, for example. For anyone who has used Pyramix, Sonic Solutions, Pro-Tools, or Sequoia, and is looking for a faster, customized, and much less expensive option, Cohler Classical is the answer.

Cohler Classical adds 350+ new functions and so much more to Reaper including:
  • Source-Destination multi-track track-group editing;
  • Point-click-drag crossfade editor;
  • Automatic track and item grouping;
  • Track-group and project marker system;
  • Optimized custom menus and shortcuts;
  • Fixed many Reaper bugs and limitations;
  • Markers and automation stick to audio (track-group ripple);
  • Playback rate change ripples audio/markers/automation;
  • Multi-track track-group import/export functionality;
  • Import multitrack audio in one click;
  • Export CUE/WAV/CDT for mastering in one click;
  • Multi-track track-group consolidation;
  • Suite of automation functions for detailed balancing;
  • And much more!
Old 01-26-2020, 07:56 AM   #37
lowellben

Cool.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:35 PM   #38
cohler
Banned

Yes, you can vertically align transients in my crossfade editor mode.

The video does, in fact, demonstrate a 4-point replace and ripple edit. 3-point edit is also available of course.

And many other functions.

If you’d like a demonstration, contact me.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #39
cohler
Banned

Quote:
See, I'm looking for just a little bit of "give" here. Pelleke (and others prior, I think) worked on the original source-destination script(s). I came along and contributed various classical "helper" scripts including doing source-destination editing in a single project window, auto-grouping of takes with random coloring etc. Nothing fancy and standing on the shoulders of giants etc. but it was something. And that combined community effort is far more meaningful than you are willing to give it credit for. It's the language comparing our previous efforts to your offering as "small fraction", "small handful", "limited" etc. that is so arrogant. When I can use the existing options to get 99% of the way there in typical classical workflow needs, I'm really not kidding. I take issue with your numeric estimates of up to 5 times faster. Sequoia, Pyramix and SaDiE remain the go-to DAWs for classical engineers for good reason -- the efficiency! It almost seems you have a grudge against these major players (as well as Reaper for all its "bugs" and "limitations"). In Pyramix and SaDiE, in particular, what can be faster than the two-track crossfade editor permanently open on a separate monitor or as part of the project layout? It is literally a case of sliding the lower track to align the transients and you are done (along with some very advanced audition tools).

I offered an olive branch of sorts and you chose to ignore it. When I parse your latest response it seems like an effort to mention the name of your system as much as possible (FOUR times) at the same time as trashing all previous efforts. You will not win many friends here by continuing in this manner.

It's a shame...the product may well continue the progress of classical workflow in Reaper but I simply can't look past your ill-informed marketing strategy: puffing up one's own ego at the expense of belittling others.
If you have scripts, please show me? The Pelleke scripts I have seen and tried. They comprise three or four very limited scripts. That don't do even a small fraction of what Cohler Classical does, as I have stated.

Do your scripts implement the following things?

• Draggable crossfade editor
• 9 Sources and Destination on same screen
• Track Groups
• Independent set of markers for each track group
• Suite of 350+ new functions
• Completely customized menu system
• Completely customized keyboard shortcuts
• Export to CUE/WAV/CDT
• Multitrack track-group consolidation function
• Single click multitrack audio import with auto grouping
• Rate change, pitch change, gain change
• Markers, automation, and items ripple with all edits on all tracks in group

I could go on and on. But if your scripts implement all or even a significant fraction of this, please let me know, and I will update our promotion. To my knowledge, I have not seen ANY of these things anywhere else in the Reaper world. Most certainly not in the Pelleke scripts.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #40
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'm watching with the popcorn just about ready to mod some stuff.

Maybe this cohler editor thing should be its own thread and not really pasted to other threads
pipelineaudio is online now   Reply With Quote