Old 12-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #1
randall7
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper v5.99 broke all SpitfireAudio VST3i plugins

EDIT: SOLVED !!!
This had everything to do with my using ASIO4ALL (for many many years), it was causing all my issues. I switched to the ASIO Generic Low Latency driver and everything is working great now. I was so puzzled because asio4all worked great for me for so many years-- must be that now asio4all is glitchy with some Windows 10 update or else a Reaper code now, idk. Maddening to deal with this but now I can breath and get busy composing!

-----------------------
[SOLVED ... sort of]

Just adding this thread in case others using Reaper who updated to the recent Windows x64 reaper v5.99 suddenly lost their use of Spitfireaudio.com VST3i plugins (BBS Symphony Orchestra, Hans Zimmer Strings, LABS, etc). Kontakt libraries from Spitfire were not affected.

This morning I tried a portable install of Reaper x64 Windows, version 5.984 (Oct 11 2019) and the problem vanished, everything okay. Same with a portable install of Reaper v6.01 x64 Windows. This seems to be isolated to version 5.99 of Reaper. It was alarming to say the least, to have thousands of dollars of instrument libraries suddenly useless. I thought the issue was with Spitfireaudio but I am glad to see the solution was simply to downgrade or upgrade Reaper.

A 'permanent' install of 5.984 however did NOT fix this problem, sigh. I don't know what is going on but I am glad a portable install fixes this. Maybe I need to somehow completely remove the permanent install of Reaper and then try a fresh install?

I will upgrade to Reaper 6 because I like to support Reaper/Cockos and because my license is no longer good for v6. Happy to support Reaper by upgrading, though I wish there would have been more score notation feature improvements in Reaper v6, my two cents of opinion.

Anyhow, hoping others with this issue who are panicking find this post to know there is an easy solution.

Last edited by randall7; 12-20-2019 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Solved
randall7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
randall7

So I tried a fresh install of Reaper 5.984 after first uninstalling Reaper, and the problem persists, sigh.

WHY do the portable installs work with Spitfireaudio VST3i plugins but a permanent install of Reaper does NOT?
Old 12-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall7 View Post
So I tried a fresh install of Reaper 5.984 after first uninstalling Reaper, and the problem persists, sigh.

WHY do the portable installs work with Spitfireaudio VST3i plugins but a permanent install of Reaper does NOT?
I don't think it's a portable vs. permanent thing... your settings persist when installing different perm version, unless you completely wiped the resources folder. Like I mentioned in your other post, try comparing audio device settings, to start.

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples too.. whatever you test in your permanent install version that causes pops / cracks, do the same in the portable version. Same song, plugins, etc.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): Asus Z270A Prime Mobo, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia GTX 1070, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
I don't think it's a portable vs. permanent thing... your settings persist when installing different perm version, unless you completely wiped the resources folder. Like I mentioned in your other post, try comparing audio device settings, to start.

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples too.. whatever you test in your permanent install version that causes pops / cracks, do the same in the portable version. Same song, plugins, etc.
I think the issue might have been solved, and I think it must be related to the bluetooth headphones I installed yesterday after which this all began (I did of course uninstall unpair the bluetooth headphones, but the problem persisted, until I did what I did just now, below):
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...20&postcount=3
Old 12-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
nait

Yeah, others have commented here before that bluetooth and music production = terrible idea.

And it makes sense to me.. why introduce another (high) potential culprit for latency and/or pops/clicks/etc.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): Asus Z270A Prime Mobo, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia GTX 1070, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 12-10-2019 at 09:54 AM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
randall7

Quote:
Yeah, others have commented here before that bluetooth and music production = terrible idea.

And it makes sense to me.. why introduce another (high) potential culprit for latency and/or pops/clicks/etc.
I was just curious how my bluetooth cans might work just for listening to playback, definitely not for live recording.

Very disconcerting though to see how pairing bluetooth headphones messed up Reaper big time, such that I had to go into the Windows registry and manually find and delete certain keys-- that is something I think developers of Reaper might want to look into, as this really funked Reaper big time.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
mschnell

AFAIU Reaper does not use the Registry at all.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #8
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
AFAIU Reaper does not use the Registry at all.

-Michael
I just looked at my registry. There are plenty of Reaper entries in the registry.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #9
mschnell

Interesting ...
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:56 AM   #10
DarkStar

I do not think they are inserted / used by REAPER itself. Rather they are done by Windows (although the Reaper installer can ask Windows to associate .rpp files with REAPER.exe).
Old 12-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #11
randall7

Quote:
I don't think it's a portable vs. permanent thing... your settings persist when installing different perm version, unless you completely wiped the resources folder. Like I mentioned in your other post, try comparing audio device settings, to start....
SOLVED !!!
This had everything to do with my using ASIO4ALL (for many many years), it was causing all my issues. I switched to the ASIO Generic Low Latency driver and everything is working great now. I was so puzzled because asio4all worked great for me for so many years-- must be that now asio4all is glitchy with some Windows 10 update or else a Reaper code now, idk. Maddening to deal with this but now I can breath and get busy composing!

Still --- weird how asio4all works in the portable Reaper with no issues, asio4all only is causing issues in the non-portable Reaper install (v6).