Old 12-09-2019, 09:43 PM   #41
cohler
Human being with feelings

It's clear that you are not interested in anything other than arguing about something you know nothing about. So I'll end the conversation here.

I know Pyramix, Sonic, several other packages, AND the package I have designed. You do not know anything about the package I have designed and yet you continue to pontificate.

Who is the arrogant one?

End of conversation. Best of luck bachstudies. I've crossed you off my beta test possible list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachstudies View Post
Not directed at me but I can't help but jump in again. You've clearly gotten me triggered. Some of us professionals record live choral concerts that by their nature include what is known in the business as an audience. RX is our friend among other lovely tools. I've used a MixPre-6 II to wonderful effect but as of 2019 the technology isn't there to stun the audience into complete silence yet. We make good classical recordings, nonetheless, with various fixes in post-production. Yep, quiet spaces with no audience are wonderful (and much easier to handle) but a live concert does not automatically equal a bad recording. I know plenty of grammy-nominated colleagues who apply noise filters as a matter of course, especially for choral albums in big church/cathedral spaces. "We" use the tools we need to make the best final product. Shocker...most of the nice natural 'verb you hear is enhanced with a Bricasti box...the dynamics manually gain-ridden or pushed through a Junger box. Also some of the most amazing classical albums I've heard were recorded with a single ORTF or AB pair. You know very well that Pyramix handles such high track counts incredibly well. Also let's not forget Pan Noir!
cohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #42
cohler

Blah blah blah...

Quote:
Not directed at me but I can't help but jump in again. You've clearly gotten me triggered. Some of us professionals record live choral concerts that by their nature include what is known in the business as an audience. RX is our friend among other lovely tools. I've used a MixPre-6 II to wonderful effect but as of 2019 the technology isn't there to stun the audience into complete silence yet. We make good classical recordings, nonetheless, with various fixes in post-production. Yep, quiet spaces with no audience are wonderful (and much easier to handle) but a live concert does not automatically equal a bad recording. I know plenty of grammy-nominated colleagues who apply noise filters as a matter of course, especially for choral albums in big church/cathedral spaces. "We" use the tools we need to make the best final product. Shocker...most of the nice natural 'verb you hear is enhanced with a Bricasti box...the dynamics manually gain-ridden or pushed through a Junger box. Also some of the most amazing classical albums I've heard were recorded with a single ORTF or AB pair. You know very well that Pyramix handles such high track counts incredibly well. Also let's not forget Pan Noir!
cohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:08 PM   #43
Timothy Lawler

Interesting thread. I'm a classical musician and do a lot detailed editing in Reaper. It was Reaper's editing features that drew me to it and continue to be the strongest aspect for me. Reading your posts, bachstudies, I'm reminded how simple my editing needs actually are (classical guitar, sometimes two).

BTW, whatever happened to fabi (the thread starter)?
Old 12-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #44
bachstudies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
Interesting thread. I'm a classical musician and do a lot detailed editing in Reaper. It was Reaper's editing features that drew me to it and continue to be the strongest aspect for me. Reading your posts, bachstudies, I'm reminded how simple my editing needs actually are (classical guitar, sometimes two).

BTW, whatever happened to fabi (the thread starter)?
No idea about fabi, I'm afraid. Yes, Reaper is already excellent for simple classical workflow needs from 2 to as many parts as you need. When items are grouped, editing across multiple tracks is easy. The tricky part is replicating the amazing crossfade editors of classical-oriented DAWs. For my workflow needs, I came to rely on these tools touted in the big three. They are classical industry standards for a reason and priced accordingly Many colleagues have managed to make winning classical albums using ProTools and Wavelab, or Cubase and Sound Forge, or Sonar and CD Architect. Any tool can do the job but when you have 400 edits in a project, Pyramix, Sequoia and SADiE show their true worth.
bachstudies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #45
mschnell

Quote:
There's an arrogance that comes across here that is unbecoming.
Already obvious by his attitude of top-posting.
... and for Beta testing a system with hundreds of new/improved functions implemented using the great flexibility allowed by the Reaper engine, and that obviously is trying to be a "commercial" product, a "documentation" of nine pages is far too sparse to start with.
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-09-2019 at 11:21 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #46
bachstudies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohler View Post
I've crossed you off my beta test possible list.
Well, that's my Christmas ruined. Darn.

Part of the reason I've engaged with you is because you have ridiculed applications that are known for making classical editing an absolute joy. To this day, my favorite audio work was shuttling back and forth doing S-D edits and crossfade window work in Sequoia. It was just so satisfying. Same goes for Pyramix. Like many happy users, who could ask for anything more? Don't make such ludicrous generalized statements about them being "clumsy, cumbersome and poorly designed" and not expect some push-back. Are you now so much of a Reaper fan-boy that all other products can only be seen as massively inferior? EDIT: Actually, it is clear you also think Reaper is inferior to your own work.

As you know, I made some small effort to contribute to the classical workflow needs of Reaper users by creating a few scripts. I didn't appreciate you brushing aside the efforts so far and I certainly don't care for your arrogance to assume you have created something that is far superior to other commercial products (over and over again in every thread you could possibly find multiple times over). Learn some humility, my friend, and you may find more support for this. If it's as good as you say it is, let the product speak for itself. I acknowledge the limitations of my own scripts for Reaper but I throw up a little in my mouth when I come across such big-headedness.

Also, if you can't be bothered fully explaining the workflow and providing tutorials in the "classical music editing in Reaper" thread of all places it strikes me as very odd. You have a captive audience if you just took the time to explain what it does and demonstrate its efficiency. By all means, continue to capitalize your favorite buzz marketing words and repeat your sales pitch ad nauseam.

Last edited by bachstudies; 12-09-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:33 AM   #47
mjfe2

I'll be interested to see if Cohler's system allows the user to drag audio to the left or right of an edit whilst maintaining the same sized crossfade? This seems to be the main strength of dedicated editing software.

I'm also struggling to overcome a bug in Pelleke's system where the audio copied for the previous edit is pasted in place of the new edit. It didn't use to happen and I can't work out what triggers it.

You can overcome the bug manually by moving the cursor to the left of the time selection in the source project before making the edit.

However, trying to automate this solution by adding the relevant action to the beginning of the edit macro doesn't work, which is doubly frustrating!

Any advice?
Old 12-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #48
bachstudies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfe2 View Post
…drag audio to the left or right of an edit whilst maintaining the same sized crossfade? This seems to be the main strength of dedicated editing software.
I had forgotten about this major benefit! Ardour and Mixbus have it too which is why I've been taking it for granted in recent years. It is definitely jarring when overlapping two items and the crossfade spans the whole length of the overlap.

As for bugs in Pelleke's script, I don't think I've ever experienced it. Does it happen with my classical helper script too? The difference here is that mine deals in one window (how I personally like to work) versus the two tabs. If not a copying/pasting between tabs versus single window issue, perhaps SWS extensions have changed in some way? I'll look into it as soon as I am able.